Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#19704 - 07/26/01 12:41 PM moving to madrid....
adriana Offline

Loc: united states
Help! I plan on moving to madrid for 2 years. Can anyone tell me something about the city. Is it save to walk the streets at night? What type of foods do they eat? How's the shopping, is it as or more expensive than the U.S.? Anything would be appreciated. smile

[ 07-26-2001: Message edited by: adriana ]

[ 07-26-2001: Message edited by: adriana ]

#19705 - 07/26/01 01:15 PM Re: moving to madrid....
esq Offline

Loc: miami,fl
Adriana, are you in luck! just keep reading this message board and you will see why. Two years in Madrid WOW!!!!
Enjoy

#19706 - 07/26/01 03:16 PM Re: moving to madrid....
picara Offline

Loc: New Mexico, USA
Hi tocaya! (although you wouldn't know it from my log in name, lol!) :p

My family and I are moving to Madrid for a year--we'll have to meet up at some point (see "general chatter" for info on possible Thursday night gatherings).

Congrats on your move! Check the archives of these boards for more info on ALL of your questions. (I'm fairly sure all those topics have been covered at some point.) Also, I bet some current madrileños will weigh in pretty soon.

Here's to Madrid! cool

best,
picara

#19707 - 07/26/01 05:52 PM Re: moving to madrid....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,

As you have been told, that info has often been offered, and is listed in the forums, but I can advance you that going out at night is safe no matter the hour in nearly every possible area.

Food is too long to explain. Some food is like italian, rice is used often, fish and meat. Vegetables many times for first course, salads with salt, vinegar, oil.Cheap.

It is from two to three times cheaper than the USA in most articles/hires. Some cars may be more expensive, fuel is much more expensive.

#19708 - 07/26/01 08:11 PM Re: moving to madrid....
Andrés Offline

Loc: Madrid
I would check with a good economist since it is probable that the current exchange rate
dollar/Euro won´t be as good as now in the future. Perhaps it would be very interesting to change a good amount of dollars now at a 197 pts---> 1 dollar rate than in two years time at a 150pts ---> 1 dollar

Regards,
Andre Jarabo (Group maker)

#19709 - 07/28/01 11:24 AM Re: moving to madrid....
jer Offline

Loc: madrid, spain... the plaza may...
Hey Adriana, you lucky,lucky gal. I have lived in Madrid for 5 years now (moved here from NYC, U.S.A.) and I have never looked back. It was by far the best decision of my life. Now settled in here, I am loving this place more every day.

As you may understand, food is a huge topic, too big to go into here.

Spain is much cheaper than the U.S. but it all depends on the salary you are earning here. If you are going to make a good U.S. salary and live here in Madrid, you will be rich! So, it is all relative.

The WWW has loads of info on living in Spain, do some searches and you will see what I mean.

You are about to live the dream of many an American so count your lucky stars and have an amazing time as I'm sure you will laugh

Saludos,
jer...

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments