Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#19678 - 07/21/01 04:39 PM Area near Gran Via 65 (Madrid)
lowell Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
We are thinking of staying at the Gran Via 65 apartment hotel in Madrid. I believe it is located on Gran Via roughly midway betwen Plaza de Espana and Emperador metro stations. Can anyone tell me what this area is like? safe? attractive? upscale? dingy? convenient to attractions? restaurants and shops nearby? thanks.

[ 07-21-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#19679 - 07/22/01 04:03 PM Re: Area near Gran Via 65 (Madrid)
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
It's ok, but some of the little side streets are cruddy. But, being from a state which contains Newark and Camden, you shouldn't see anything which will scare you. laugh

#19680 - 07/23/01 08:26 PM Re: Area near Gran Via 65 (Madrid)
lowell Offline

Asterault: I do not know how to interpret your information re. Gran Via, as I have never been to Camden nor to Newark, except to the airport and Penn Station. There are many pros re. New Jersey and some cons, which we could discuss, but I believe this message board is about Spain. Your post does not seem to be the quality of the others on this board.

#19681 - 07/23/01 09:37 PM Re: Area near Gran Via 65 (Madrid)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
eek Ooooooohh... eek Thems is fightin' words! Now now boys. No name calling, okay? Now shake hands and make up. laugh

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#19682 - 07/23/01 10:53 PM Re: Area near Gran Via 65 (Madrid)
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
I can't find any Emperador metro stop on my map, but I can tell you that I thought Plaza de España was a really good place to be. (Yes, there was a little bit of criminal action in the Plaza that was taken care of by Madrid's finest...if you want to check previous posts on crime :)) I'm afraid I don't know a thing about the hotel you asked about, though!

#19683 - 07/23/01 11:17 PM Re: Area near Gran Via 65 (Madrid)
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
I had a reservation at a hostal on Gran Via, and after checking it out, we decided to cancel it and stay somewhere else (luckily we had enough time...) The place we were going to stay was further down Gran Via though, closer to Calle de la Montera, it was #15, and the hostal itself looked nice, but the area, mainly the side street, kind of gave us the creeps!

I was unable to find an 'emperatriz' o algo asi, metro stop, although I think #65 would be closer to Opera o Callao, which is next stop down from Plaza de Espana. What's the name of it? Is there a link on the MM board?

Buena Suerte!!

#19684 - 07/24/01 03:21 AM Re: Area near Gran Via 65 (Madrid)
Anonymous
Unregistered

There is no EMperador mmetro station in Madrid, the place you are going to be at is very close to Plaza de España (200 yards), so what is said about P. de E. applies to it. It is not close to the worst areas ( Montera, Ballesta, ...)

Here it is

[ 07-24-2001: Message edited by: Ignacio ]

#19685 - 07/24/01 03:27 AM Re: Area near Gran Via 65 (Madrid)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry the link is not displayed correctly, but you can cut and paste it to your browser address bar, and the map will be shown (may be you will need to reload the page if it takes much time).

#19686 - 07/24/01 05:49 AM Re: Area near Gran Via 65 (Madrid)
marval96 Offline

Loc: Maryland
We had the oportunity to "explore" this area in two different occassions the first was in 1998 while staying at the Crown Plaza (right across Plaza de Espana) and the second time was just last month when returning our rental car at Avis (maybe a block or two) from Plaza de Espana.
Overall we loved the area and wondered why we didn't stay there this time around rather than the Puerta del Sol area (Plaza Mayor Hotel). There are great places to eat tapas, many, many shops (quality shops), movie theaters etc..
No offense but sometimes I do feel that some people on this board are "a bit over paranoid" about different areas in Madrid.
We liked this particular area of Madrid as is a great area to walk around, people watch and enjoy a tapa(s) with a cana at your leasure. Hope this helped.

#19687 - 07/24/01 02:09 PM Re: Area near Gran Via 65 (Madrid)
Asterault Offline

Ok Mister Sensitive... have a good time and maybe you can pick up a sense of humour in Spain.

#19688 - 07/24/01 02:52 PM Re: Area near Gran Via 65 (Madrid)
Pookita Offline

Loc: FL, USA
I just love this board!!!

You guys crack me up.

Pookita (who is going to take a big leap and say that I've never known anyone named lowell who HAS a sense of humor - domesitc or imported.) laugh

(Sorry, Lowell, I am just feeling wicked today, and wanted to join the fun. Past posts will show you that MM's boardmembers tend to have a warped though be it very funny sense of humor. And Asterault is one of the classics....IMHO. laugh )

#19689 - 07/24/01 05:07 PM Re: Area near Gran Via 65 (Madrid)
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
I wanted to mention that earlier, but I wasn't sure if I should, but since we're all jumpin on the bandwagon now...

I wanted to tell everyone to lighten up and realize that pretty much EVERYTHING that's not about Spain on this board is said in jest! (We're not in Spain, so we have 2 options-CRY or LAUGH, so most of us choose to LAUGH and go with it!)

Can't we all just get along?!

wink

GranadaGirl (who can never come up with a witty saying to enter in between parenthesis marks but who is also in a wicked mood while also stuck at work!!!)

#19690 - 07/24/01 05:30 PM Re: Area near Gran Via 65 (Madrid)
roses Offline

Loc: Beverly Hills, CA
Okay! I can give you some good ideas on this part of town, considering I stayed at 64 Gran Via.

It is a perfect location. It is right in the center of town. You are literally five minutes walking distance from the Plaza Mayor, the Palacio Real, and 10-15 mins. from Retiro park.

It is right next to El Corte Ingles, which is a super market, mall, etc...

I loved this location and it was VERY safe. I am a 25 year old woman and I was able to walk at night (3:00am) by myself without being bothered.

You are right next to two major metro stops. Callao and Plaza Espana. What hotel are you staying at? I just returned and I remember two hotels next to me. Both hotels on that street were very nice.

I must admit, it isn't Velasquez or a Rodeo Drive, but more like a clean, safe Hollywood Blvd. I recommend that you stay there, because you are right next to EVERYTHING!!! Even the hottest club in Madrid called Cool.

roses.

#19691 - 07/24/01 08:03 PM Re: Area near Gran Via 65 (Madrid)
lowell Offline

Roses: thanks for info. The place is called Gran Via 65. It's a short term apartment rental place--so it may not look like a hotel per se.

(OK, OK, I've lightened up. With names like Pookita and Granada Girl showing up, I have no choice)

#19692 - 07/25/01 03:36 AM Re: Area near Gran Via 65 (Madrid)
Asterault Offline

If you don't like it, these are in a very good part of town:
http://www.rentapto-madrid.com

-L

#19693 - 07/25/01 09:11 AM Re: Area near Gran Via 65 (Madrid)
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
roses, pay attention, please! wink

Asterault, where can you pick up a sense of humour in Spain? I've lived here for fifteen years and haven't got one yet.... frown

By the way, I think Bruce Springsteen's great, lowell.

#19694 - 07/25/01 10:06 AM Re: Area near Gran Via 65 (Madrid)
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Lowell,

Not to worry, we all make fun of where everyone else is from. In fact my second oldest son lived in Joisy until he moved to Manhattan a couple of months ago. Of course, every time he came home to visit, we turned a geiger counter on him, and turned off all the lights to make sure he didn't glow in the dark.... laugh

Wolf (Damn fleas! Someone... please... send me a collar!)

#19695 - 07/25/01 10:21 AM Re: Area near Gran Via 65 (Madrid)
Pookita Offline

Loc: FL, USA
WOLF! I was wondering when you would be jumping into this one!

lowell - glad you didn't write us all off! laugh

Pookita

#19696 - 07/25/01 07:52 PM Re: Area near Gran Via 65 (Madrid)
roses Offline

what? don't pull me into this. i am overly sensitive to everything! mad wink

pay attention to what confused confused confused

#19697 - 07/25/01 08:30 PM Re: Area near Gran Via 65 (Madrid)
Majesty318 Offline

I guess I should represent over here with lowell, being that we are the only 2 Jerseyans... I never have heard anyone say Joisy except people making fun of it but I am not offended by that or by Camden/ Newark jokes. laugh I'd be scared to be alone in either city myself!

#19698 - 07/26/01 08:52 AM Re: Area near Gran Via 65 (Madrid)
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Sorry, roses....... It's just that lowell stated in the first line of this thread that he was staying at the Gran Via 65 apartment hotel and then you asked him where he was staying.

I thought you had been looking out the window and not paying attention in class, that's all! wink Don't worry!

See ..... I knew I didn't have a sense of humour frown

#19699 - 07/26/01 10:00 AM Re: Area near Gran Via 65 (Madrid)
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Rose,

Anchovy has a sense of humour like I do. (Please note I spelled it his way instead of mine wink ) We enjoy laughing at everything we can, because life is too short to be too serious. Our biggest problem is that our mentor was Don Rickles... smile

The best time to catch him serious is when he wakes up in the morning with a Guinness hangover/headache that rivals being in the bell tower when Big Ben does his thing eek It's at that point he swears to God that he will never... ever... drink again... rolleyes

Lowell, let us know how Gran Via 65 is... sounds like a good option for an apartment in the heart of the city.

Wolf (Nursing a Lienie's Red hangover from last night's festivities with a few old friends he hadn't seen in nearly 30 years. frown )

#19700 - 07/26/01 10:44 AM Re: Area near Gran Via 65 (Madrid)
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Never, ever again! laugh laugh I'd love to ask who on earth is Ron Dickle, but I know MM would tell me off for going off topic... there's a lovely square near Gran Via 65, I believe and lowell, you will love every bit of Madrid......

#19701 - 07/26/01 12:10 PM Re: Area near Gran Via 65 (Madrid)
Tia Offline

rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes

#19702 - 07/26/01 12:40 PM Re: Area near Gran Via 65 (Madrid)
roses Offline

okay, he he he... laugh i must develop a sense of humor. i am too serious. no worries, roses is okay... smile

#19703 - 07/30/01 10:37 AM Re: Area near Gran Via 65 (Madrid)
GoMadrid Offline

Loc: California
Gran Via 65 is probably near the Hotel Emperador, which is very near the Metro stop Santo Domingo which has an exit on the Gran Via there. It is between Callao and Plaza de Espana on Gran Via.

It is a great area! Just where you want to be. Try the ice cream place in Plaza Santo Domingo. Make sure to get the nata (whipped cream flavored) ice cream.

Madrid is a wonderful city. Have a good time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments