Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#19644 - 07/12/01 04:58 AM Please Help with my planning
Lalit Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Hello,
My first post here. Just found this site yesterday and what a great relief. Great place with great suggestions. Keep up the good work MM.

Now my question. I am in The Netherlands at the moment (Originally from the Fiji Islands, but currently working here as an expatriate) and am planning a trip to Spain with my family (wife and three children aged 15, 13 and 7). Normally we stay in hotels or holiday houses on our trips but this time decided on camping so we could see more of Spain and could get off the beaten tracks. In all probability this will be our only trip. We love nature and the mountains. As we are from Fiji, beaches are like our backyard so will probably go to a beach on only one day.

We are going to drive in our own car. Planned start day for holiday is 23rd of July and duration of holiday about 3 weeks.

Based on what I have read at other websites and this one, I propose the trip as follows:

Arnhem (NL) - Poitiers (F) - San Sebastian - Pamplona - El Escorial - Prades - Montserrat - Cambrils or Puigcerda - Andorra - Arnhem.

Is this too much in 3 weeks? We probably will spend 3 days in Barcelona (will stay at Montserrat or Sitges and take day trips) and 3 days in Madrid (stay at El Escorial or San Martin and take day trips). The rest of the time we will divide between the other places, depending on how beautiful the place is and what activities we can do.

Also will I be able to get a good view of the Pyrenees on this route? We are very flexible and are willing to change our route if there are good alternatives.

And one other thing. When does the school holidays begin in Spain? If it is late July, then maybe it will be better for us to start our holiday in Barcelona before it gets too overcrowded and then travel the other way back (Arnhem-Barcelona-Madrid-San Sebastain-Pamplona-OrdesaNP-Andorra-Home).

Is camping safe in Spain, especially with 2 teenage daughters? And do I have to book the camping places in advance? I would not like to do this as I lose the flexibility.

Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Also suggest some good camping places on this route.

Thanks so much in advance. I wish I had found this site earlier.

Lalit

#19645 - 07/13/01 06:29 AM Re: Please Help with my planning
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
From my own experience, camping in Spain is very safe, especially on "professional" tourist sites (though if there are many Spaniards on the site, don't expect an early night!). In my youth I also camped on village sports fields (after asking the "locals") and never experienced any problems.

The shool holidays started some time ago - I guess what you want to know is when do the Spanish themselves go on holiday. It's August, same as the French, and this has a major impact on tourist areas (and road traffic).

#19646 - 07/13/01 08:01 AM Re: Please Help with my planning
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
A lot of questions in your post smile

I think in three weeks you have time for making that trip without stress. You may even visit more places.

In regard of the viewing of the Pyrenees I believe you are going to get a good viewing of them. I will suggest to visit some other places as Aigüestortes, Val d'Aran,... if you can (but Ordesa and Andorra are quite beautiful).

School will start in mid-September, so that's no problem.

There is a camping in El Escorial, at the foot of the mountain. That town is sooooo beautiful... Don't miss the herrerian monumensts: The monastery and the San Bernabe's Church.

Regards.

#19647 - 07/16/01 05:02 AM Re: Please Help with my planning
Lalit Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Thanks El Boqueron and Fernando. Based on what you have to say, it seems it would be better for me to go to Barcelona and Madrid first and then onto the other areas. If the people in Spain go for their holidays in August, then I should keep clear of Barcelona and Madrid during that time.

Have I got this correct?

Thanks

Lalit

#19648 - 07/16/01 11:40 AM Re: Please Help with my planning
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
With regard to keeping clear of the big cities in August, it depends what you want to avoid. The Spanish go to the coasts and mountains in August, not to Madrid or (other inland cities) which become rather empty (many local bars and shops shut down). Barcelona on the other hand has a beach, and it may be quite a different story!

#19649 - 07/16/01 08:46 PM Re: Please Help with my planning
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Hi, Madrid is empty in August!

As I have heard, 75% of madrileños get out of Madrid in August. We normally go to the coasts, as El Boqueron sayed, and to the sierra near Madrid.

In Barcelona is not that radical, but I guess it is also underpopulated in August.

Hope this helps.

Fernando

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cruz70, e-man, Jaybe, kittygregg
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1611 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments