Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#19570 - 06/26/01 10:15 AM Nice/nasty beaches in Cantabria?
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Has anyone got any recommendations about beaches in Cantabria in Summer?

Which ones are safe/dangerous? Which ones are busy/quiet? Which ones are dirty/clean? etc.

Are there any hidden gems (unilkely I suppoose rolleyes )

We are staying at Ruiloba, just near Comillas and San Vicente de la Barquera.

Can't wait, not long now (4 August) laugh laugh

Thanks
Jo

#19571 - 06/26/01 01:00 PM Re: Nice/nasty beaches in Cantabria?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
San Vicente de la Barquera is nice - I don't have any experience swimming there. It looks like a small fishing port but it has some sandy beaches.
Personally I prefer el Sardinero (Santander) for a clean, well maintained swimming beach. cool

#19572 - 07/08/01 09:59 PM Re: Nice/nasty beaches in Cantabria?
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
I just came back from Suance which was not a charming ancient town but rather a nice little resort town with some good food (I had 2 teens w/me and they were very happy eating pizza and not seeing various animal parts displayed in restaurants!).The beach and water were very clean, no shells, gentle waves though on the other side of town is evidently a beach where surfers go. Unfortunately I have a feeling it's crowded in August like beaches everywhere.

#19573 - 07/28/01 11:50 AM Re: Nice/nasty beaches in Cantabria?
jer Offline

Loc: madrid, spain... the plaza may...
Hi Jo-Anne, your name sounds vaguely farmiliar laugh :p.

Anyway, LLANES is a little town in Cantabria and I think it is the "joya" ("gem or jewel") that you are looking for. Secluded beaches, white sand, crystal clear water, great little town.

Saludos,
jer...

[ 07-28-2001: Message edited by: jer ]

#19574 - 07/30/01 08:41 AM Re: Nice/nasty beaches in Cantabria?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
First: I think you will find that Llanes is just across the bridge (i.e., in the Principality of Asturias, not the Autonomous Region of Cantabria).

There are three or four beautiful beaches between San Vicente de la Barquera and Comillas. We passed a few of them traveling between those two cities on 19 July: there were campgrounds full of French and German (and Spanish) tourists at each of them. But the beaches weren't crowded - there's plenty of room for everyone.

Unfortunately, when I was there (17-20 Jul) it was quite cool, windy and rainy. The 'red flag' prohibited swimming at playa Sardinero Wednesday and Thursday; but the surfers were 'having a ball.' Friday, when swimming was permitted, I was on a full day tour to San Vicente, Comillas and Santillana del Mar; so I had to defer my swimming until I reached la Rabida on la Costa de la Luz in Huelva Monday, 23 Jul.

Be sure to visit Antonio Gaudi's 'Caprichos' (an upscale Japanese restaurant since '91) in Comillas. rolleyes

[ 07-30-2001: Message edited by: Eddie ]

#19575 - 07/30/01 09:19 AM Re: Nice/nasty beaches in Cantabria?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, it is in P. of Asturias, very close to Cantabria.

The north of Spain is a wonderful area to visit, but if you like beaches and sunbath, you have to do it in summer-and even some summers are too cold for a bath.

But most summers hold 40ºC or more in the south in August and July, in these cases, it is much better the 30 to 32º you can find in the North.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments