Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#19498 - 06/16/01 10:52 PM Spain in December?
lowell Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Has anyone been to Spain in Dec--christmas time? what can we expect re. weather? We have abou 10 days--arriving, leaving from Madrid, 2 teenagers--boy/girl. Interested in scenery, history, castles, historical buildings, good food. not particularly interested in nite life. Will be traveling by Train. We're trying to narrow down--besides some time in Madrid--beteen Segovia, Toledo, and Seville--any suggestions to help us choose? Will most attractions be open between Xmas and New Years? do most places close just the 25th? or also 24 etc? Help! and thanks!

#19499 - 06/28/01 11:38 AM Re: Spain in December?
kk49827 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Well most of the Christmas celebrating is done after the 25th in Spain. But, even so, all of the shopping places are very crowded. But Madrid is beautiful that time of the year. Everything is decorated for Christmas. The main streets in Madrid are packed with lights.

It is nice to visit Segovia also during that time. There is snow on the mountains and sometimes it might snow there. I have fond memories of stopping to get coffee in a quiet little cafe there and enjoying the view while I chatted with new found friends.

Good luck.

#19500 - 07/02/01 07:07 PM Re: Spain in December?
Josh&Shon Offline

Loc: usa
Hi there! My husband and I were in Spain for 10 days last Christmas/New Year. We were in Madrid and the southern region. Madrid was windy and rainy. Sevilla was very nice as was the rest of the south. The streets of Madrid are wonderful with all of the Christmas lights and decorations. Have a great trip!

[ 07-04-2001: Message edited by: Antonio ]

#19501 - 07/05/01 09:53 PM Re: Spain in December?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Hi from Madrid :-)

In December in Madrid the weather is rainy or clouded (sometimes even sunny). The temperature varies from -5 (not very often) to 10 degrees.

Don't expect to see any open shops on the 25th and the 1st of January. The rest of the time they should be opened.

I would suggest you to visit San Lorenzo de El Escorial, it has scenery, history, a great monastery-palace, and I assure you that there are some great restaurants. It is at 80km from Madrid.

In Madrid there are an Atrackted Park and a good Zoo.

Toledo and Segovia (consider also Avila) are great choices in Xmas (they may even be snowed), but there are cooler than Madrid (from -5 to 5 I will say).

Have you consider to visit a ski station? In Xmas they organize a kind of spectacles in the stations, and you may even ski in the night.

Fernando

#19502 - 07/28/01 12:00 PM Re: Spain in December?
jer Offline

Loc: madrid, spain... the plaza may...
Ooooooh yeah, that trip to San Lorenzo de el Escorial is a must but it is even colder than the city of Madrid, the winds up at the Escorial cut like a "cuchillo" ("knife") !

I have lived in Madrid for 5 years now and, aside from the extreme overcrowding in the streets and the shopping mania, I agree with the others that the city is very nicely decorated for Christmas.

Don't miss the Plaza Mayor of Madrid which is always packed out to the max with the traditional Xmas booths where one can muy everything from Nativity scenes to fake doggie doo (you have to see it to believe it).

Saludos,
jer...

#19503 - 08/02/01 06:27 PM Re: Spain in December?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Lowell: Let me respond as a fellow member of the "not too into the nightlife" crowd:

I've spent Christmas in Bilbao and New Year's/Reyes in Valladolid and Santiago de Compostela. Cooler temperatures aside, Bilbao does Christmas right. Valladolid's New Year's celebration was incredible. No matter where we were, there were people out having a wonderful (and safe) time in the streets.

The thing I'll remember from Compostela, although not unique to this city, are the roasted chestnut vendors in the old quarter. You say you like historical buildings, etc...get your family to Compostela. It is absolutely unique in its intangible "ambiente" (atmosphere). Gallegos can cook up some mean seafood, too!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2722 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments