Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1941 - 10/02/04 12:45 PM Re: Hotel Carlos V (Madrid) - Highly recommend!
funes Offline

Loc: chicago
I stayed at the Carlos last week on the 25,th, 26th, and 27th.

I would agree that the location is fantastic. Its on Maestro Victoria just off of Calle de Preciados. The room itself was fair, but not what I expected for the 125 euros it cost. Floor was quite dirty, not cleaned in my three nights there. Bathroom was very nice and spotless. Fifth floor patio was also nice. It got chilly at night, and when we pulled our blankets out of the plastic liner in the wardrobe, they smelled like fish. When I called the concierge to ask for replacements, I was told "this is not possible" (at 9 pm). So we froze. To me, that's just plain wrong.

The staff was friendly and did speak English, though I spoke to them in Spanish. I would stay at the Carlos V again, but would shop around first. I was supposed to stay at the nearby Santo Domingo but had to cancel.

Funes

#1942 - 10/02/04 01:02 PM Re: Hotel Carlos V (Madrid) - Highly recommend!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
funes, thank you SO much for your review of this place and ALSO for finding and following-up on an existing thread. THAT is MUCH appreciated. REALLY, it is.

What a shame about your experience at Hostel Carlos V . I wonder if all the rooms are/were like this. If so, Best Western may be dropping them as well someday soon.

Most of us who have been around the message board since the beginning remember that prices were nearly HALF what you paid eek and was always highly recommended on the price/quality.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#1943 - 10/03/04 09:50 AM Re: Hotel Carlos V (Madrid) - Highly recommend!
epaulino4 Offline

Loc: USA
Carlos V is a mix bag. Location is good, pleasant people at the reception, smelly and dull rooms, no good in house customer service.

I stayed there two or three times last year and decided that overall they were not worth my money (single and triple rooms). It was time to keep walking and shop around.

A good hostal will cost you 1/3 of what you paid per night.

#1944 - 10/04/04 03:54 PM Re: Hotel Carlos V (Madrid) - Highly recommend!
Cornelio Offline

Loc: Dublin, CA
I stayed at the Best Western Carlos Quinto way back in September of 2001 and I would have been the first to recommend this hotel without a moment's hesitation. For the $50 (or was it $60)per night I paid, it was quite a bargain and the location right near Sol and literally across the street from El Corte Ingles was just unbeatable.

From that time to this however, the prices have doubled, in just 3 years mind you, and I don't think inflation can be that high in Espana in general and in Madrid in particular.

Therefore, I don't think I can honestly recommend this hotel anymore. It's just too overpiced for what you're getting. This is one case where they may have been a victim of their own past success. How they can they get away with doubling the price in just 3 years is beyond me. Then again, may not. Maybe there is a simple explanation. If people are willing to shell out the $100 per night then I guess they will continue to overcharge and fleece their customers.

Personally, I would donate my money elsewhere.

#1945 - 10/04/04 04:46 PM Re: Hotel Carlos V (Madrid) - Highly recommend!
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
I stayed at the Carlos V the summer of 2002. It was around $75 per night. We were going to be staying with an older family member, so we needed a place with a working elevator, AC and easy walking.

I think a big part of the price increase can be attributed to the exchange rate. It was very good two years ago--when 1 Euro=.85 cents. Right now it's atrocious: 1 Euro= $1.22.

Pros: It's a good location with on a pedestrian street with much to do within easy walking distance. The rooms on top have huge terraces which was really nice in the evenings. There's individualized AC. They serve a very un-Spanish breakfast, which could be good for those who need more than caffeine and sugar in the morning. Helpful staff.

Cons: The worst Americanized/Anglified coffee I've ever had in Spain! Tiny reception area. A little searching could find you a much cheaper room, but maybe not with the location, AC and/or elevator.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments