Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#19404 - 05/30/01 01:09 PM Daytrip between Barcelona and Nice
Adam Offline

Hi. I'm going from Barcelona to Nice in July, and I've been told it makes the most sense to do an overnight train since it's around an 8 hour trip. However, since I have to be in Barcelona in the morning, I thought about maybe doing a short day trip from Barcelona, preferably near a train station, and then doing the overnight to S. France. Is this a good idea?
Any recommendations on good places to go?

[ 05-30-2001: Message edited by: Adam ]

#19405 - 05/30/01 08:12 PM Re: Daytrip between Barcelona and Nice
sheba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN USA
i'd be interested to find this information out too. all the superintelligent and welltraveled folks on this board should have an answer for us soon.

#19406 - 05/30/01 09:01 PM Re: Daytrip between Barcelona and Nice
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
There are a number of interesting places to visit in the Languedoc-Rousillon region of France (a lot of ties to Catalan and Roman history). Past that area, half way points of interest could be Aix-en-Provence, Montpellier or Marseille, plus a number of smaller, historically interesting places, depending on what you want. Southern France is breathtaking. Stopping to see something a little different from the more touristy Nice (although lovely as well) might add something to your trip...

#19407 - 05/31/01 09:11 AM Re: Daytrip between Barcelona and Nice
Pookita Offline

Loc: FL, USA
Adam - when in Italy last year, we drove from Milan through the Ligurian region. We made apoint of doing the Monaco/Nice/Cannes thing as a day trip. It was well worth it (although I really don't get Cannes - it seemed to us to be like a sleepy Daytona Beach more than the glamour center we see during the film festival) since this area was very close to where we were based (San Remo, Italy) But we made the mistake of pressing ourselves to cram too much in in one day. I can only suggest that you take the time to really enjoy the surroundings. Nice was nice (hehehe) but in your case, there are so many other beautiful spots between Barcelona and the French Riviera, that I don't think you should worry about focusing on Nice specifically. After all, you don't want to spend too much time in transit so you can't make the most of mingling with the locals!

We too plan to do a day trip into France when we are in Barcelona in Oct. We're going to drive, again, but this time, we are going to make a point of being more liesurely about it.

Whatever you decide to do, it WILL be fabulous! Just remember to have fun! laugh

Pookita

#19408 - 05/31/01 12:46 PM Re: Daytrip between Barcelona and Nice
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I agree with Nicole about the Lanquedoc region of southern France...We've rented a car and travelled there and stayed outside of Carcasonne before(about 4 1/2 hours from Barcelona)...Carcasonne is an 11th century fortified (walled) city and is very quaint...We actually stayed in a chateaux right outside of town and had the best meal of our lives, EVER!!! This part of France is not as touristy as Provence and the cost of food and lodging reflects that, still "unspoiled" in my opinion... Many, many other villages and history in this area, not to mention the scenery!! smile

#19409 - 05/31/01 05:02 PM Re: Daytrip between Barcelona and Nice
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I'm not a Southern Francophile...heck, I'm not a Francophile period, but I've done the train ride, and I will tell you WATCH YOUR BAGS.

I'm sure I've bored this board with my tale of train robbery foiled, so I won't again, but sufficeth to say, from Barcelona to Marseilles (crime capital...) there are plenty who would take advantage of your drowsiness and the OLD cars used on this trip (the ones that don't lock).

I'm hoping that something's changed in five years, but even when the Madrid to Barcelona "economy" train was sporting recliner-style seats with headphone entertainment, the Barcelona-Nice train was a circa-1945 looking thing that would have made a great cover for an Agatha Christie novel. Check that before you travel. !!!

#19410 - 05/31/01 11:25 PM Re: Daytrip between Barcelona and Nice
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

eek Calibasco! How can it be possible not to be a least a LITTLE seduced by the south of France?!!!!! ...all those Roman ruins, stone cottages, Monet trees with church towers poking out from behind them, rich food and warm, earthy colors everywhere... it is a visual feast! unless one is colorblind, which would then take away a bit of the splendor, I guess...

smile

#19411 - 06/01/01 10:42 AM Re: Daytrip between Barcelona and Nice
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Nicole... eek I'll tell you how it's possible: Spain. Why would I waste my time with jerks who don't seem to like Americans, who, to quote the movie "Last of the Mohicans": [are] too busy making love to their faces...", and who poo poo my feeble attempts to speak French. mad Oh, and I forgot this gem that happened to us TWICE within five weeks at the SAME hotel: Actual quote: "I'm sorry, but a reservation does not guarantee you a room." confused That's why a return trip to France is not in this CaliBasco's future.

I've got enough to love about Spain that I don't need France. After having experienced fifteen of Europe's countries, I put France at the bottom of my list of "places I would like to see again."

P.S.: French Pays Basque is NOT included when dissing the rest of France. Unlike the Codex Calixtinus reported centuries ago: The Basques are just fine, and treat you right whenever. smile

#19412 - 06/01/01 08:57 PM Re: Daytrip between Barcelona and Nice
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Ouch. I see. Guess I had a better go of it. The anti-American stuff is tiresome, but I got a lot of that all over Europe- Brits, Spaniards, Germans...wore me out, frankly.

Besides, what's wrong with "making love to their faces?" Kinda sounds like fun...with the right person of course! wink

#19413 - 06/02/01 12:50 AM Re: Daytrip between Barcelona and Nice
sheba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN USA
Nicole,

Thank you for the information you provided. It sounds wonderful. I may have to rethink my plans, especially after all your neat descriptions.

That was quite a tongue lashing Calibasco gave you. Calisbasco, I think all Nicole meant was that that part of France is so breathtakingly beautiful that it deserves a second look.

#19414 - 06/02/01 08:51 AM Re: Daytrip between Barcelona and Nice
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
Just one recommendation, if you are planning to drive in the french highways during the summer, be sure to avoid the "critical dates" .
I will not be driving again in France in July 31st or August 1st. Family vacations tend to be sinchronized all over the country,plus all the transeuropean trafic (Germans to Spain,...), that makes France famous for the worst European highway traffic jams.

#19415 - 06/02/01 10:12 AM Re: Daytrip between Barcelona and Nice
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Sheba- I would never direct a tongue-lashing at Nicole. The lashing was directed at all those wonderful French people who've forgotten the long history of cooperation that our two nations have shared (Lafayette, Pershing, etc.). Nicole is a wonderful individual and I'm sure she saw my anti-French comments for what they were worth (not much, I'd say! :D).

I must admit, though, that whatever I or any other individual may say about other countries could EASILY be said about the good ol' USA.

Hey, Sheba...we ought to do a Minneapolis dinner group in August. I'll be back "home" for a wedding. I think Tara is back there too, so we'd have at least three! What do you think? I solemnly swear...no tongue-lashings! wink wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments