Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#19397 - 05/27/01 11:10 AM August closings in Madrid
chas Offline

I am planning to be in Madrid for 3 days in August (8-11). I know that a lot of the locals leave for the coast and some things shut down or have limited openings.

Is there any way to find out ahead of time what I won't have access to, so that I don't waste valuable time when I get there? Any recommendations about what to see (and will be open) would be appreciated! Also, is the same true for restaurants?

#19398 - 05/27/01 11:40 AM Re: August closings in Madrid
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
While many shops and businesses close during August (most Spaniards love to take their holidays in August), there will be plenty of places opened.

This year, the city council has a plan to encourage people to come to visit Madrid during the summer:

[Published in El País]

Quote:
El plan de dinamización estival comprende, además de la apertura de los comercios todos los domingos de agosto, horarios especiales en los museos, sesiones de ópera en el Teatro Real, una Escuela de Verano en el Parque Ferial y descuentos hoteleros, entre otras cosas. Las actividades del plan se ejecutarán entre el 16 de julio y el 24 de agosto. La idea de que 'Madrid es una ciudad abierta en verano' se empezará a publicitar hoy.

#19399 - 05/27/01 02:05 PM Re: August closings in Madrid
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Thanks Antonio

Where can we find out about these special openings and happenings? As we will only be in Madrid for a very limited time it would be good to know beforehand so that we can plan our time accordingly. laugh

Jo

#19400 - 05/29/01 06:15 PM Re: August closings in Madrid
chas Offline

Antonio, I really appreciate your response. However, you credit me with better translation skills than which I truly possess. I think the quote from El Pais says that there will be special cultural offerings on Sundays Mid-July thru August. Is this correct?

#19401 - 05/29/01 07:08 PM Re: August closings in Madrid
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Shops will be allowed to open every Sunday during that season (usually they are allowed to open just for a certain Sundays throughout the year).

Then it says there will be special schedules for museums, opera at the Teatro Real , a summer schoold at the Parque Juan Carlos I and a few more things.

I'll post more information here when I find out about it.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1560 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments