Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#19369 - 05/23/01 07:47 PM Santiago de Compostela (the town, not the route!)
reenie Offline

I've rec'd a partial scholarship to study at the University there this summer. Last summer, I studied in Madrid & loved it so much I'd like to move there.

Problem is: I am a little worried I'd be bored in comparison. It's much smaller than Madrid. Is it sleepy by contrast to Madrid? Does anyone out there have experience living/traveling/working/studying in these two cities that could give me insight? confused

#19370 - 05/23/01 08:37 PM Re: Santiago de Compostela (the town, not the route!)
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Santiago in summer: well, there are lots of activities related to the University; the town itself is charming (just walking those old streets gives you smtg. to do day after day; the Alameda is a great book-reading-people-watching place. You can get to many interesting towns and beaches by bus in a short time frame. La Corun~a is one hr. away and makes a great all-day trip. Ditto Pontevedra, etc. I think Santiago will please you!

#19371 - 05/23/01 09:06 PM Re: Santiago de Compostela (the town, not the route!)
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
Congrats on your scholarship/opportunity, Renee. I think I could stand being bored in Santiago de Comp.!

#19372 - 05/24/01 08:44 AM Re: Santiago de Compostela (the town, not the route!)
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Any city that has at least one Irish Pub can't be all bad: It's Molly Malone's and it's in the Historic District. Santiago is a busy University town. It has department stores (a large Corté Inglés), Discotecas (one called Saturday Nite?), restaurants and bars. It even has a Cafeteria that makes its own churros (no porras): Yate on c/Senra. It is very well communicated with regional rail (or bus) service to/from Vigo, Pontevedra and a'Corunha. For a student I think it is an ideal size city, much more 'manageable' than a larger city such as Madrid.

Once you get established with your fellow students, I think you'll have a 'ball.' laugh
BTW
About 3 or 4 years ago, the Chieftains (Irish folk group) recorded a 'Santiago' CD featuring Carlos Nuñez (from Vigo) as their lead bagpiper (gaitero). Unfortunately, you missed this year's bagpipe competition. It usually takes place toward the end of May. rolleyes

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1564 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments