Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#19362 - 05/23/01 10:44 AM Toledo - Corpus Christi
el_sol Offline

Hi,

I've heard that there's a something to do in Toledo around Corpus Christi. Does someone know if there are things that are definitely worth seeing? (proseccion, ..?) And what about Madrid?

thx

#19363 - 06/20/03 02:24 PM Re: Toledo - Corpus Christi
eduardo Offline

Loc: Madrid
Corpus Christi in 2003 is on June 21. Some friends have invited me to go down with them to Toledo to see it all. If I can wake up in time Sunday morning, I'll let you know how it was. Anybody been lately?

#19364 - 06/21/03 02:02 PM Re: Toledo - Corpus Christi
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
I was in Toledo a few weeks ago and many of the streets had fabric "canapies" draped high above them to shelter the procession. The local shopkeepers indicated it would be quite the event.

#19365 - 06/21/03 02:29 PM Re: Toledo - Corpus Christi
Pulaski Offline

Loc: New Bedford, PA
We were in Toledo a couple of years ago for the Corpus Christi procession. I can still smell the aroma of the thyme which had been spread in the street before the procession passed through. Many young soldiers were stationed along the route to maintain the "crowd control." Everyone was dressed in his or her Sunday best (even the kids.) Still a fond memory.

#19366 - 06/22/03 01:51 PM Re: Toledo - Corpus Christi
eduardo Offline

I actually wound up going to Toledo twice this weekend. My friends decided to go down Saturday night since they were told that was actually more fun and interesting than the procession on Sunday. I then went back on Sunday to try to watch the procession and take photos in the day.

Toledo was gorgeous in sunset and after dark on Saturday night. It was an enchanting experience, especially since it did cool off some after dark. The light was perfect for the puertas leading into town. All over the main streets, decorations had been hung out in preparation for the procession – flags, banners, mantillas, flowers. Yesterday was also the patio competition, so many private residences were open to visitors to view their patios, some of which were pretty incredibly luxurious. We had a tough time finding a place to sit and have a drink and tapas around 2200, but finally did. We then went back to Plaza Zodocover and danced for a while to a good band until they took a break around 1230. At that point, we decided to call it a night and headed back home to Madrid.

Sunday, it was HOT. I walked up to the old town, and luckily caught the last part of the procession at the Plaza Zodocover. I saw the reliquary, plus the military band, and lots of sacerdotes. I took a lot of photos and caught up with the procession as it was rounding the corner to the cathedral. And, finally, I saw the large military procession and band as they paraded down from the Alcazar past Plaza Zodocover.

Definitely recommend this to everyone for next year.

#19367 - 06/22/03 01:56 PM Re: Toledo - Corpus Christi
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
thanks for telling us about your weekend. I'm curious about the extent of millitary fanfare. That surprised me that that was part pf the festivities.

#19368 - 06/22/03 02:37 PM Re: Toledo - Corpus Christi
eduardo Offline

As others have mentioned, the military provide crowd control at various points along the procession route. However, they also were at the tail end of the procession, including what seemed to be officers with medals and the whole lot, and a military band. Later, I guess they mustered and then marched out of town with bands accompanying. People stood and waited in the hot sun to see them off, including some shouting "Viva las fuerzas armadas (or was it Viva el ejercito?)," so my impression was that their presence was welcomed.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2068 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments