Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#19311 - 05/08/01 05:07 PM Day trips from Madrid
jeffperez62 Offline

Loc: connecticut USA
Other than Toledo, what are other day trip options when visiting Madrid??

#19312 - 05/08/01 05:57 PM Re: Day trips from Madrid
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
typical options are Segovia and Avila.

Both cities are worth seeing and make sure you taste the local specialities, roasted lamb, roasted pork.....

The are also the Royal from the two dinasties: El Escorial (Austrias) and Aranjuez and La Granja (Borbones). You could do La granja within a Segovia visit.

All places are quite reasonable for 1 day trips (1hour by car) and most of them are reachable by train and bus also.

#19313 - 05/08/01 05:59 PM Re: Day trips from Madrid
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
It is clearly too late for me, I meant the Royal Sites

#19314 - 05/08/01 06:55 PM Re: Day trips from Madrid
Mari Offline

Loc: Miami, FL USA
Hey Jeff,
I also have to make plans for two days in Madrid. For sure a 1 day trip to Toledo and I am undecided about what to do with the other day. I am wondering if at the hotel one can make all these arrangements for day tours. Got any ideas? anyone? I am leaving on 5/18 for 17 days cool

[ 05-08-2001: Message edited by: Mari ]

#19315 - 05/08/01 08:54 PM Re: Day trips from Madrid
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Given half a chance, I will always suggest Segovia! It is small enough to be covered by foot and has two major attractions...who could ask for more? All you have to do is get to the bus terminal (as I recall it was by the Estacion del Norte), buy a ticket, and you're on your way! It is a pleasant 1.5 hour drive.

#19316 - 05/14/01 01:09 PM Re: Day trips from Madrid
kk49827 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
I'd also go with Segovia. There are many things to do there and you could easily spend a whole day there. The bus takes you right to the center of town and it's a very scenic ride. From the station, the Aqueduct is just south and to the north is the Cathedral and then the Alcazar.
There are also many places to dine in Segovia with both authentic Spanish and not so authentic food(Telepizza)

Good luck.

#19317 - 05/14/01 09:03 PM Re: Day trips from Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Other than those wonderful suggestions above (I too love Segovia and Avila), what about nearby Chinchon? I love that little, old town! Sure, it's where the madrileños go on Saturday night for dinner, but I love the town!

Also, has anyone else ever been to Siguenza? What a nice, old, little, secluded village! They have a beautiful parador and old cathedrals in this hilly town. Some good restaurants too.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments