Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#19239 - 04/26/01 09:32 PM old world on the coast
rinderpest Offline

Hello all -

I'm going to be in Spain from May 24 - August 24. Going to do 4-5 weeks in Madrid, and then want to do a similar amount of time in another city. I love the idea of living somewhere on the Mediterranean, since I never have lived by water, and not being a super hot weather person, realize it would give some relief, but I also want to live in a city that has the old, more village like feel - places that look/feel like Granada/Sevilla/Toledo/Salamanca. But in the cities that I've researched on the coast, those that are large enough to show up on maps and/or have a study spanish program like DonQuijote.org look like they have become very tourist oriented and modern - the pictures I see of Malaga, Alicante have skyscraper looking buildings, not narrow streets w/ cobblestones and old architecture. So I'm hoping you guys can suggest a city that fits what I'm looking for.

Thanks a lot,

Brian

#19240 - 04/26/01 10:05 PM Re: old world on the coast
connie Offline

I would suggest Cádiz-it is the Atlantic, but if you say you are not a hot weather person, that might be even better; the Mediterranean is very close by so you can always switch the seas if you want.
It is a very old city, not very big, but not very small either and has a beautiful historic center directly at the seaside, with narrow streets with cobble stones and little bars and taverns everywhere...
I know that they have a university and language schools.
Use the search function and you will find more information about Cádiz.
I also know that CLIC Sevilla ( www.clic.es ) has summer programs at Isla Cristina close to the Portuguese border, that is supposed to be beautiful, too, although it is a rather small place.
You probably should organize something soon since particularly August is a very crowded month in the coast resorts.

[ 04-27-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#19241 - 04/27/01 12:32 AM Re: old world on the coast
roses Offline

Loc: Beverly Hills, CA
Brian:

It sounds like you are going to be in Madrid around the same time we're having our dinner party. Check out the thread, dinner in Madrid, Spain, located under "General Chatter." We'd love to have you join us... ciao-and lucky you, almost three months in Espana smile

[ 04-27-2001: Message edited by: roses ]

[ 04-27-2001: Message edited by: roses ]

#19242 - 04/27/01 01:37 AM Re: old world on the coast
rinderpest Offline

Wow, responses already - thanks guys, seems I should have started asking stuff here long ago - and not less than a month before my departure! But better late than never.

Connie - I can deal with the pretty warm, it was just the threats of 95-100 all the time for some of the other cities that scared me off - but reading about cadiz and other coastal places that the temp is defintely what I'm looking for. But will the Atlantic water be warm enough when I'm over there? I've had this romantic vision of how perfect the Mediterranean would feel.

But another question: I'm wondering if you guys think Cadiz can offer everything that I'm looking for, which I'll try to summarize here: in addition to what I wrote in my first post, I'd really like to meet young people and have a good time. I'm a 21 year-old college student, and while I don't do the clubs or crazy binge drinking, I also really liked a friend's description of her great nights in Malaga, hanging out w/ other kids (I hope I still count as that), staying up all night, ending up on the beach w/ wine, etc. I want to go to a place that has history, that isn't super busy, where you can get to know people, that also has a strong-enough presence of young people doing young people stuff (not that older people can't too, but you know what I mean). So I'm hoping Cadiz will have enough to keep me busy - I definitely don't want this to be the kind of trip for which I don't remember the details, either because things got repetitive and blended together or because I killed most of my brain cells. laugh

Roses - If things go as planned and I am indeed there, I of course would love the opportunity to sit down to a meal with you guys - being so far away, it would be nice to know I could meet up people.

But I have another question that hopefully Madrid folks can help me out with. I'm not completely sure I should do half my time in Madrid. To me, it's always just kinda been assumed that that's where I'd start, b/c it is the biggest city, b/c it is in a central location, b/c there is no doubt so much to do there. But now that I think about it more I wonder if I really should - I go to school in NYC, and before that had never lived in a city. While I do like some aspects of city life here, one that I haven't is getting to know people. I haven't really made too many friendships here - I'm by nature shy when I initially meet people, and unless something just clicks, I usually stay that way. Living in a big city where everyone is busy and doing their own thing, and at school where I don't have any kind of traditional campus, has made it hard to meet people. Is Madrid the New York of Spain? Or is it, like I am getting the sense, like the rest of Spain, more warm, a city where I'd be able to find my place, not just get lost in the mix?

Sorry for these long posts - guess I haven't mastered the art of brevity. And sorry for the unsolicited psychological profile, it's just that I do have these doubts about where to go, and figure you spain-lovers would have the best chance of helping me out if I explain them well.

Thanks so much,

Brian

#19243 - 04/27/01 11:06 AM Re: old world on the coast
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Alicante may have modern high-rise buildings but the atmosphere is definitely 'old world' Spain. There's a language school in Campello that might interest you: You can get there on public transport (bus), passing more modern San Juan Playa and Playa Muchavista.

It's not the cobblestones that make up the ambience, it's the people; so my suggestion would be Universidad Internaciónal Menendez Pelayo, el Sardinero, Santander, Cantabria. There are a couple of discotecas now that have displaced El Chupi from being the main student hangout; but Quito, el Chupi's owner is 'weathering the storm.' One day the Tuna Universitaria may come back as it used to be some 40-years ago. rolleyes
BTW
El Chupi is what the Spanish call the baby's pacifier - an appropriate name for a tavern. laugh

Look for both places (Alicante & Santander) to be Very Full (accomodation-wise) from mid- July thru the month of August.

[ 04-27-2001: Message edited by: Eddie ]

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments