Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#19114 - 03/27/01 05:08 PM Re: favorite city?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Nicole- If my memory serves me, the book I was referring to was "El Estudiante de Salamanca" by Jose de Espronceda...It was a donjuanesca tale...the words escape me, but the midnight ambience, the cool night air of the casco antiguo salmantino, topped off by an appearance by the world-renowned tuna universitaria made the evening perfect!

I need to get into my literature at home and verify that book (actually a long poem). I'll report on it at dinner next month.

#19115 - 03/29/01 12:14 AM Re: favorite city?
expressdance Offline

Loc: Boston, Ma USA
I would highly recommend Granada. I found it to be one of the most beautiful and breathtaking places I have ever been (not that my travels are all that extensive). La Alhambra was gorgeous!!! I'd say to truly appreciate it, look into it's history, and you'll understand so much more when you see it. The city definitely has a romantic feel. I didn't do much there in terms of nightlife, but I've heard that its a lot of fun. Good luck with your trip!

#19116 - 03/29/01 05:30 PM Re: favorite city?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
I agree with Nicole--Salamanca is fabulous, foreigners or no. I do notice more foreigners there than in other small Spanish cities, but SO MANY people who clearly live and work in Salamanca as well. And the architecture and sights would be worthwhile even if they were FULL of foreign students, which they are not. In fact, when I was a student there, I didn't do most of the touring I have done since...I think I was too broke and too busy meeting people (mostly Spanish) to wander through convents or cloisters. I think I had only seen the cathedral before my subseqent (non-student) trips...but there's San Esteban, Las Dueñas, Casa de las Conchas, etc.!

I do think the feel of the city is influenced by the foreign students there, and I can't say I love the concentration of them on the Rua Mayor, but most of the time, you feel like you're surrounded by Spaniards. You'll hear more other languages than in other towns (but not more than in Madrid, I think), and you'll see people dressed in a wider range of foreign-looking clothes (gotta love those Birkenstocks and wool socks in winter--never saw a Spanish person in those!).

I do feel a bit intimidated by the nightlife in Salamanca--being 31 (eek!) and 10 years past my student time there, I didn't feel like going out to the clubs and seeing a bunch of giggly 20-year-old American girls (I am allowed to say that, since I was one!).

And I have to admit that we did run into a group of students (sadly, Americans) who were not at all happy with Salamanca, thought the food was horrid, the people were unfriendly, etc. But they had been there through two solid months of rain, so perhaps their attitudes were a bit dampened as well---or maybe they just didn't get it. They were SO happy when we gave them a packet of American Raisinets--they were all craving something from home (and there I was stocking up on Lacasitos to bring home to the US!). And the girls expressed great shock when I told them that I had dated a Salmantino 10 years ago--they seemed to be scared of Spanish men, or scared of what they THOUGHT Spanish men would assume about American girls.

But that shouldn't keep anyone from appreciating the amazing beauty of my favorite city in the world--it cast a spell on me that I never want to lose.

#19117 - 03/30/01 03:35 PM Re: favorite city?
Lindsaywmoore Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
My thoughts on Salamanca...

If you are going to be there in the summertime, you are more likely to find American students partying all night & spending their parents money... I know because I was one of them just four short years ago. And, it was wonderful.

I had an amazing time and experience there, but I was slightly disappointed at the number of Americans... I was also not trying very hard to meet people outside of my group. It seemed that many of the local Spaniards (especially the students in what is, essentially, a college town) had gone away on holiday... I could be wrong, but this is the impression I gathered. I would imagine that if you traveled to Salamanca after the summer-students had left, you would not find one thing to complain about. It is a charming city with beautiful culture and people... You will love it & I highly recommend it.

Lindsay
(who spent twenty nights too many in Cum Laude & La Biblioteca...)

#19118 - 03/30/01 08:57 PM Re: favorite city?
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
aww. two of my favorite places, among all the others we frequented far too often (second semster, anyway)...

#19119 - 03/31/01 09:11 AM Re: favorite city?
Lindsaywmoore Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
Nicole... did they have Cara o Cruz when you went to Biblioteca? I couldn't believe that deal! The bartender flipped a coin & if you guessed right (cara o cruz), your drink was free. It made for some late, wild nights in Salamanca. I still keep in touch with some friends from my trip & we constantly reminisce about that summer & the wonderful things we experienced. I truly think that has been (thus far) the best time of my life...

We'll see if my summer trip competes with that. I have decided to go to Sevilla for six weeks this summer. I was up in the air about where I should go, but I think SEvilla it is... I have a few friends that studied there & loved it, so I am taking their advice & heading over. If anyone knows anything about the language schools there, some advice would be greatly appreciated. I am most interested right now in the programs through Don Quijote and Living Spanish... any word on either of those? Thanks for listening & have a great day! Lindsay

#19120 - 03/31/01 11:24 AM Re: favorite city?
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

they did have Cara o Cruz! When I did it, the guy flipped the coin 3 times. I got three in a row right and treated 2 of my friends to a cerveza. the bartender didn't look pleased

Leche, don't let our musings turn you off from the city. It is quite lovely, and you can avoid the craziness of foreign and spanish students going out, simply by not going out to the same places. I don't know if you are much of a late nighter, but revelers aren't really out until 12 a.m., and are easily avoided until then. Besides, we aren't THAT bad. If it hadn't been for my amazing parents' support and generosity, I wouldn't have had the chance to fall in love with Spain the way I did.

Lindseywaymore, I think Sevilla is a fabulous choice for a triumphant return to Spain It is a beautiful city. If I can manage it, next summer I would like to do some language courses either there or in the north.

[This message has been edited by Nicole (edited 03-31-2001).]

#19121 - 03/31/01 11:27 AM Re: favorite city?
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

[This message has been edited by Nicole (edited 03-31-2001).]

#19122 - 03/31/01 06:53 PM Re: favorite city?
wec Offline

Loc: Mentor,Ohio,U.S.A
Hola Lindsay,
I spent 4mths in Malaga Spain last year. It was fantastic. The people were friendly, not to many tourists and pretty inexpensive with lots to see and do! Malaga is on the southern tip of Spain. It is on the beach but fortunetly it seems to go undescovered by the masses. Hope this helps. e-mail me if I can help further.
WEC

#19123 - 04/07/01 06:03 PM Re: favorite city?
colleen k Offline

Loc: Cambridge, MA USA
Hi WEC,
My 17 year old daughter will be taking a language course in Malaga this summer for a month. Is it a safe city? I am dropping her off there-would you recommend staying in Malaga City Center or at the beach? Anything I shouldn't miss-resturants, beaches, tapas bars, etc?
Colleen

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
McTravel
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2454 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments