Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#19079 - 04/12/01 11:09 AM Re: Which are your favorite castles?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I highly recommend Peñafiel as well. Bone up on your history there before going, though. This is an extremely unique castle...it looks like a ship lodged on a hill. Depending on the time of year, you can actually drive up to the front gate (even though the bus is free). There is a corresponding hill a ways away which offer a great staging area from which to take beautiful pictures. If you go in May, the entire countryside around Peñafiel explodes red with poppys (or is it poppies smile?).

If you're going around Segovia, there is a little itinerary that I took my father on which took us to five castles in a day. It included Coca and Pedroza (if my memory serves me), along with the ones to follow:

Cuéllar, which lies at the midpoint of Segovia and Valladolid, is worth a stop. It has been renovated and is now an instituto. You can usually catch a profe there who is willing to answer questions. The old part of town is cutesy, though small.

If you find yourself heading to Valladolid from Segovia, after stopping in Cuéllar, go to Portillo, which has an excellent old town arch-gate, and an odd-looking castle which I believe is a fine arts school at present. Top it off with a visit to Simancas' castle at the outskirts of Valladolid (home of the national archives) and you've seen some of the finest!

I guess that's why it's called Castilla...

#19080 - 04/12/01 12:31 PM Re: Which are your favorite castles?
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
Great info..I've already highlighted my route and I love seeing how these are all a little off the main roads. Calibasco..when you said bone up on your history..any suggestions of pre-trip reading material about Castles and Castilla in particular beside travel guides? (in English, please)

#19081 - 04/16/01 11:48 AM Re: Which are your favorite castles?
rkennedy17 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
Spainsh Castles website (mostly Spanish, but some English)
http://rococo.ele.cie.uva.es/ismael/linkcas.html

#19082 - 05/15/01 07:24 AM Re: Which are your favorite castles?
Shimano Offline

If you want a side trip, going from Segovia to Aranda de Duero through the N-I, you can deffinetely take a road on the right at the 136 Kilometre. The road heads to a place called Vilalvilla. It's a tiny road sorrounded by pine forests

#19083 - 05/15/01 11:44 AM Re: Which are your favorite castles?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Karen- Sorry I didn't respond to your recent post...I suppose the best sources are available on the web via search. Most sites from Spain now have an English version, and are certainly more colorful and trustworthy than "Let's Go..." series books. I'll post some of my favorites in the future... smile

#19084 - 05/16/01 08:40 PM Re: Which are your favorite castles?
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
So Shimano, what exactly is down this road? It is definately in the area I will be traveling. Thanks Calibasco...I'll look forward to info

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments