Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#19069 - 03/27/01 04:41 PM Re: Which are your favorite castles?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Carole-

My vague memory is telling me the following:

I remember walking to the castle from Plentzia (NOT Palencia...), which which is the terminus of the WHITE (ET/FV?) trains on the east side of the Nervión. We got off at Plentzia and headed east. If I remember correctly, it was about a 30-minute walk through very pretty countryside.

Here's a link to a map page (in Euskera...sorry) that shows Gatika in relation to Plentzia: http://www.bbk.es/Web/eus/tierra/plentzia.html

It is right outside Gatika. Here's a nice picture of the area: http://www.buber.net/Basque/Places/Pics/a0c0t8.html (Buber's Basque page is a great page, too!)

If you can get to Gatika, you can get to Butrón.

I forgot to mention: It looks like the metro runs out to Plentzia. That may be the white trains, but you do have train connection (inexpensive) for sure!

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 03-27-2001).]

#19070 - 04/02/01 07:04 PM Re: Which are your favorite castles?
miles Offline

Loc: atlanta georgia usa
has anyone been to the castle at Garcimunoz? the town seemed empty, when i decided to take a diversion from the highway; there was no one around to answer the many questions i had.
anyone know anything about it?

#19071 - 04/02/01 09:46 PM Re: Which are your favorite castles?
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
Carole, I have "Insight Guide" Northern Spain (from Border's) which breaks down the area into small maps and the castle is upriver, which is actually southeast,from Plentzia toward Mungia.Plentzia is about 15 miles NE from Bilboa on the coast. Book describes it as a 10 minute detour upstream and a must-see. Great pix on Buber's page, thanks CaliBasco.

[This message has been edited by karenwishart (edited 04-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by karenwishart (edited 04-02-2001).]

#19072 - 04/05/01 02:53 PM Re: Which are your favorite castles?
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
Thanks everyone! Castillo de Butron, now located (more or less) is on the itinerary. Any other suggestions?

#19073 - 04/05/01 05:49 PM Re: Which are your favorite castles?
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Karen, Carole,

I'm sorry! I have been trying to get a response from the castle's email address as far as specific directions, and haven't gotten a response. I tried five times frown

Carole - You'll love it! CaliBasco & I give it two thumbs up each... and that ain't easy to get from us... We're Euskadi regulars.

Wolf

#19074 - 04/07/01 08:05 PM Re: Which are your favorite castles?
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

No problem. I just needed a general idea. I'm sure we'll find it!!

#19075 - 04/11/01 10:47 AM Re: Which are your favorite castles?
rkennedy17 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
I just returned from a wonderful trip to Spain, where we toured a few castles in the Castilla y Leon, and La Rioja regions... I recommend the following:

1. Peñafiel -- Very large castle located to the west of Aranda de Duero and east of Valladolid -- right in the heart of the Ribera del Duero winemaking region! The castle is on the top of a large hill overlooking the Duero river, the town of Peñafiel & the many surrounding vineyards. You have to park the car (free) at the bottom of the hill & take a (free) bus up to the castle. Price of admission is something cheap like 250 pta. per person for a guided tour in Spanish. There is also a wine museum in the castle which costs 600 pta to enter. The town itself is rather interesting as well... there are a number of bodegas, wine shops, etc., as well as a medieval plaza (called the Plaza del Coso, I think) that is still used for theatrical works and bullfights.

2. Castillo de Davalillo (13th century) near Briones, La Rioja -- If you are planning to visit the area, this castle is really neat. Again, it sits up on a hill overlooking the many vineyards and small towns in Rioja. To get there, follow the main road to Briones. I recommend having lunch at Meson Toroño, and visiting the Plaza while you're there. Then, just past the town of Briones on the same road you will turn onto a dirt road (about 2 km or so) that leads to the castle. There is a small sign that reads "Castillo 2km" or something like that, but it is easy to miss, so be alert! You can see the castle from the road, and the access road is no more than a few kms. from Briones. Anyhow, the dirt road will take you through a bunch of vineyards and finally up to the castle. When we went there, it was completely deserted -- no tourists, no locals, nobody! You have to park the car and then hike up the foot path to visit the castle. IT IS WELL WORTH IT -- the castle is not as well kept as Peñafiel, but it's free and very scenic! You can walk through the coutryard, around the grounds, and everything!

I will post photos in a separate reply. Have a great trip!

[ 04-16-2001: Message edited by: rkennedy17 ]

#19076 - 04/11/01 12:31 PM Re: Which are your favorite castles?
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
Thanks for info. I'm driving Segovia to Aranda del Duero to Haro end of June and am looking for side trips, homey dining, walks/hikes etc. in and around these areas. Perhaps you have some more tips to share?

#19077 - 04/11/01 02:31 PM Re: Which are your favorite castles?
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Great info, rkennedy17! We will be sure to visit both castles.

#19078 - 04/12/01 10:49 AM Re: Which are your favorite castles?
rkennedy17 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
Karen / Carole -- I have tons of other recommendations for Aranda, Burgos, and La Rioja. I will post them (along with links to photos) in the next few days. I need to put out a few fires at the office first...

Rob

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments