Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#19033 - 03/22/01 09:08 AM Re: Is this 9day schedule reasonable?
jtee Offline

Wow - thanks for all of the info. A couple more questions though:

1. Is it necessary to book room on the AVE days in advance? or can I just show up at the station the same day and buy the ticket?

2. Although Cordoba from the sounds of it is more convenient to visit from Seville, I was wondering, if time/distance wasn't a concern, whether Cordoba OR Granada would be more worthy to see? Our party likely has time only to see one of the 2 places, and would likely only spend 1 day in either place.

- James

#19034 - 03/22/01 01:06 PM Re: Is this 9day schedule reasonable?
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
It's not neccesary, but it makes sense. It doesn't cost extra and you can do it from any travel agent or RENFE station.

Toss a coin, regarding which city, James! Granada is more difficult to travel to, but the view from the Alcazaba and Alhambra will be stunning at this time of year with the snow on the Sierra Nevada. Counter that with Cordoba being a great city, small enough to see everything in a day and you don't have to book to get in the Mezquita, as you do the Alhambra. For me, I'd choose Cordoba and stay the night.

#19035 - 03/22/01 02:08 PM Re: Is this 9day schedule reasonable?
steveaqui Offline

Loc: Inglaterra
Personally I wouldn’t risk leaving it till the day. I booked my trip on the AVE 60 days in advance but that’s largely due to the fact that I need a particular time slot.

I’ve had enough of train spotting!!!!!!!!! Cheers!

#19036 - 03/22/01 02:39 PM Re: Is this 9day schedule reasonable?
jtee Offline

Thanks for your replies again... hmm, speaking with my colleagues, looks like the preference right now is probably Granada despite the extra time needed to go there because of the Alcazaba and Alhambra just as you mentioned. I guess I have 2 more questions then:

1. Granada to Madrid - is it probably going to be cheaper/faster return back to Seville and then make a return trip to Madrid? (you folks mentioned the pricings/routes from Cordoba, but not Granada)...

2. Here's what our tentative schedule looks like right now.... any comments?

- Fri Apr13: arrive in Madrid

- Stay 3 nights (Fri, Sat, Sun nights) in Madrid (so 2 full days in Madrid; will also give us a chance to check out Semana festivities)

- Mon Apr16 AM: take AVE to Seville

- Stay ?3 nights (Mon, Tues, Wed nights) in Seville (so 2 1/2 full days in Seville; will give us a chance to check out the Feria de abril); if we get really bored (unlikely), it sounds like we could even take in a daytrip to Cordoba

- Thurs Apr19 AM: take train to Granada

- Stay ?1 night (Thurs night) in Granada (so 1 day in Granada)

- Fri Apr20 midday: start the long trek back to Madrid, possibly by having to return back to Seville first if that's cheaper/faster, but just continue the transportation up to Madrid - aim to spend as much time in Granada early that day as possible and aim to somehow arrive back in Madrid late Fri night like around 10pm/11pm? or so to maximize that time.

- Stay Fri Apr20th night in Madrid +/- clubbing/late-nightcafe!

- Sat Apr21st - we have the flexibility to do whatever we want - ie. go to Toledo, or if we're too tired OR if we enjoyed Madrid enough the previous weekend and want to do more ie. shopping/sightseeing/eating we can also choose to stay around Madrid that day - it'd leave enough flexibility for us to wait until then to decide)

- Stay Sat Apr21st night in Madrid (last night of partying! - prepare for the flight next morning)

- Sun Apr 22nd - leave Madrid

Thanks again to all of you for your help... your advice has been really useful!

- James

#19037 - 03/23/01 08:53 AM Re: Is this 9day schedule reasonable?
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
James, are you sure you're not a friend of mine, trying to wind me up?? Hang on....it's really CaliBasco, isn't it!! Nice one ... you had me going there for a minute!!

If it's not, then, I'm with steveaqui on this one. Any more timetables and I will have to wear an anorak and fix my glasses with band aids. (Apologies to any real trainspotters - I'm only joking!)

Have a look at www.renfe.es and then click on "horarios y precios" and work it out from there. You may have to put in Bobadilla as a destination station if it doesn't show the connections between Granada and Madrid, as this is where you would have to change trains. However, before you do, I would consider catching a bus from Granada, as you are half way to Madrid anyway and it will certainly be the quicker option.

Your schedule looks great to me. No need to tell you to enjoy it - you will!! Just one more thing...... have you considered going to Tangier or Cadiz instead of Cordoba or Granada.....? JOKE!!!!!

#19038 - 04/02/01 05:51 PM Re: Is this 9day schedule reasonable?
tlr Offline

Loc: oxnard, ca usa
Just returned from Spain last week... If I had it do over, I probably would have spent the whole week in Madrid. Sevilla was wonderful (3 nights) but we could have used the extra time in Madrid (4 nights)taking day trips... 5 extra hours of travelling even on the AVE seemed too much... Even with a couple extra days I would only do 2 cities. If you do go to Sevilla eat at the Bar El Refugio near the Plaza Alfalfa. (It's down an alley, ask directions, reeaally friendly, amazingly yummy and cheap!!!) If you want a great tour guide contact Dan O'Beirne at MagicalSpain.com The Chairman from The Wellington Society (search this site for info on the Chairman)referred us (tours in Madrid, also great). Worth every penny! These are not the canned tours your hotel will recommend... If you have any interest in Roman history visit Italica 15 minutes from Sevilla!

#19039 - 04/02/01 06:12 PM Re: Is this 9day schedule reasonable?
jtee Offline

Thanks for the tip... we'll definitely have to visit that restaurant!

And thanks to everyone for the schedule info... the www.renfe.es site was great - I figured out all the prices etc. and for our trip (Madrid->Seville->Granada->Madrid) it looks like it'll be cheaper and time-saving to go directly from one city to the next rather than making return trainrides. We'll be staying a total of 5 nights in Madrid (but only really 3 full days)... 3 nights in Seville, and 1 night in Granada. Will let you all know how the trip goes and how the Hostals check out!

- James
PS - here's a quick question for those of you in the know: does the 2 prong (power) plug of the typical ie. British colony countries (ie. HK, some of Europe) fit into the likewise round but I think slightly smaller pair of holes in Spanish wallplugs? I'm just in the process of buying adaptors for my DCamera for Spain and London...

#19040 - 04/03/01 03:45 PM Re: Is this 9day schedule reasonable?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Anchovy- I assure you that although much of my information is of questionable origin, I only operate under one pseudonym on this site. (The thought has crossed my mind ...but if I remember right, there was a Moose character on this site that tried that...with mixed results)...thanks for the endorsement, though...I see what I've become!

#19041 - 04/04/01 07:10 AM Re: Is this 9day schedule reasonable?
jensdog Offline

Loc: Houston, TX 77006
I also think Sevilla can easily be done in a day but to miss Granada is unthinkable! It is well worth the extra travel time to see the ALhambra. It is so beautiful and you can buy tickets in advance at BBV bank (I'm pretty sure that is the correct bank) to save the hassel of the ticket line. Cordoba is beautiful and the Mezquita was very interesting but the Alhambra is a must see!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mah-g, Ricardo Mata
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1745 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments