Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#19008 - 03/17/01 03:45 PM Aranda del Duero
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
I'll be staying one night in this town below Burgos.Any ideas for sights,tastes etc? By the way, when I put the town out on a general web search I found a wonderful account of Garry's 1998 European Cycle Trip thru Northern Spain. Interesting reading for cycle/Spain lovers.

#19009 - 03/17/01 07:46 PM Re: Aranda del Duero
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Hi Karen,

Hope this link helps. It's a beautiful old town with a history. Lots of information available about the entire area at this link. http://www.lariberadelduero.com/ If I remember correctly, that's even where the bus drivers switch buses going north & to Madrid.

Wolf

#19010 - 03/18/01 12:50 PM Re: Aranda del Duero
karenwishart Offline

Wolfgang.what a beautiful website.I'm sitting here still listening to the wonderful music as I reply. Thanks to a bancotel hotel option I discovered this town to place on our intinerary. Unfortunately I don't understand enough Spanish to absorb all the info but will surely get someone to help me. Thanks for link.

#19011 - 03/18/01 06:32 PM Re: Aranda del Duero
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Hi Karen,

Here is a link to a translator that works. http://altavista.com/r?F09
You simply plug in the web address, ask it to translate Spanish to English, and zoom, it does it all for you.

In many cases you must select individual pages to translate but at times you can go from page to page automatically. On this one, I'm afraid you may have to take it one page at a time.

Hope this helps. This is how I overcome my lack of knowledge in Spanish.

Wolf

#19012 - 07/12/01 07:21 AM Re: Aranda del Duero
karenwishart Offline

I revived this after returning from my stay in this town.After checking in to Hotel Tres Condes we drove East to La Vid where we visited a lovely "working" monestary.As siesta was just ending, no one was around so after many apologies from a gentleman for no English guide, which we assured him was no problem, we strolled on our own and admired the quiet coolness and majesty of the place.We even got a chance to peak into the rooms where one could come to stay. I imagine if you were doing research and wanted to use the incredible library, this would be the perfect retreat.Next stop was the walled village of Penaranda de Duero with the ruins of a castle towering over it. Once again, no one around, we walked up to the castle on our own and took in the gorgeous panorama. It was like time has stood still. We went down into the walled village and stopped for a drink at a tiny cafe/hostal. A sweet little lady came out to our table , took our order for some wine and trotted off down the street into a house and came back with 2 glasses of as good a wine you could ever hope for. A dish of olives and marinated mushrooms,some icecream for my girls and we were in heaven. Once again, we only saw a few children around and some ladies sitting in their doorsteps though by now it was 6:30PM.The streets were so tiny these same ladies would have to pull their feet in to let our car drive by! Time went too quickly so we missed driving north from there to hear the monks at Santo Domingo de Silos sing their vespers at 7PM, but it is definately possible to do this loop in an afternoon from Aranda.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
galaxy, gazpacho
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1894 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments