Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#18841 - 02/13/01 01:31 AM andalucia
hunkachee Offline

Loc: cape may , nj usa
We're going to Andalucia in early May for 2 weeks. One week will be at a time share in Nerja with little side trips (Frigiliana, Mijas, the Caves) and some Pueblos Blancos near by. The other week is up for grabs. Would appreciate any information and/or opinions on the white towns between Arcos de la Frontera & Ronda, as well as those towns themselves. Also, are the Rock and Tangier, Morroco worth it? Gracias.

#18842 - 02/28/01 03:08 AM Re: andalucia
Samsonite Offline

Ronda is worth a daytrip. Great views, charming oldtown and good restaurants. Not much nightlife but nice for a relaxing night on a fast paced vacation.

#18843 - 02/28/01 06:48 PM Re: andalucia
Catalina Offline

Loc: Madison ,WI, USA
I recommend the drive from Nerja to Granada - the views range from something similar to Hawaii, along the Costa, to something that looks like the mountains of the moon! Of course, Granada is a wonderful experience in itself. Stay the night and see the Alhambra.
Of course, you might find it too strenuous going ANYWHERE once you adjust to the relaxed atmosphere of Nerja and if you become addicted, as I did, to just sitting at the outdoor cafes and watching people!

#18844 - 03/06/01 07:54 AM Re: andalucia
davej Offline

Loc: Nerja, Málaga, Spain
I'd agree with all has been said re Granada. One the way back, try the long way round through Otivar to the coast at Almuñécar. Takes longer, but the views down to the coast are stunning.

Remember to book your tickets for the Alhambra before leaving Nerja - don't go "on spec". Get them at least 2 days before at the BBV Bank in Calle Pintada in the town centre.

Granda is about 1 hour 45 minutes from here by car.

Ronda - yes, don't miss it.
Gibraltar - most people don't like it, although there's lots of World War II history.
Morocco - a *long* day trip, and though I haven't been, I'm told that it's not really worth it for the time you're actually there.

Let me know when you'll be in Nerja! We have sunshine and 23 degrees today - great!

dave

#18845 - 03/06/01 05:47 PM Re: andalucia
rondelagua Offline

Loc: Auberry, CA, USA
Alhambra in Granada is a must see and yes, the drive from Costa can be beautiful.

Ronda is surely worthwhile, just expect lots of people, tour buses, etc.; and a town that feels and presents itself (IMHO) very much like Santa Fe, New Mexico

I was recently in both Arcos de la Frontera and Zahara de la Sierra; charming small towns with stunning views, great for walking (especially in the morning as the town wakes up). Parking in both towns can be a real problem; in May, might be best to park outside of town and walk (or take shuttles in Arcos).

Driving from Ronda to Arcos you can leave the main highway and travel some very pretty alternative routes through the mountains.

#18846 - 03/07/01 11:07 PM Re: andalucia
hunkachee Offline

Loc: cape may , nj usa
Thanks for all the helpful information. I seem to be getting the same answers, more or less, from different sources - which is good. Everyone seems to love Arcos de la Frontera, Ronda, Zahara & Granada. Most don't seem to care for Gibraltar & Tangier.
Any thoughts on Grazalema, Vejer de la Frontera, Casares, Istan or Mijas (or any other white towns)?
Thanks/Gracias.

#18847 - 03/07/01 11:31 PM Re: andalucia
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi hunkachee! You might want to read a thread from last year entitled " Small towns of Andalucía " which mentions Istan (by me!) among others. Enjoy yourself!!!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#18848 - 03/08/01 08:49 PM Re: andalucia
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
My husband and I stayed in a charming inn between Grazalema and Ronda...We loved it!!!
We had a car and took the leisurely drive from Ronda via Grazalema to Arcos de la Frontera. The two lane highway clung to the mountains and the town of Grazalema had a spetacular view!! This town has the dubious distinction of being the wettest town in Spain, and one of the most typical white hilltowns of Andalucia...This detour from Ronda to Arcos did not really cost us any time at all and was well worth it.

By the way, the wonderful inn we stayed at was at the bottom of a huge valley outside of Ronda, with a great restaurant, horseback riding, pool, and absolute tranquility!! I can't wait to go back..The name is El Horcajo and it has a website...Check it out if you are planning to stay near Ronda.

#18849 - 03/09/01 11:49 AM Re: andalucia
kbl Offline

laduque, your experience sounds wonderful. Do you have the URL for the website?

#18850 - 03/09/01 01:08 PM Re: andalucia
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Sorry laduque. I beat you to the answer. kbl, you'll find El Horcajo Hotel's website @ http://www.elhorcajo.com/findus.htm . It looks great!!!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2420 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments