Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#18745 - 02/08/01 06:25 AM Valle do los Caidos
James Offline

Loc: London
I'm interested in visiting the Valle de los Caidos but the only way to get there seems to be by hiring a car. I know the bus to El Escorial goes past it but does nayone know a bus that actually stops there?

#18746 - 02/08/01 07:00 AM Re: Valle do los Caidos
Miguelito Offline

I have never gone by bus but there is a camping near so I guess it probably will. Anyway, I don't remember very well but I think you will have to walk for a while from the road. You better ask the bus company about it, I think it's Larrea, you can find it in paginas amarillas .

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 02-08-2001).]

#18747 - 02/08/01 08:08 AM Re: Valle do los Caidos
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I think you'll get mixed opinions about Valle de los Caidos from most people. Many/Most tourists find it a Must-See for it's immensity, location, BIG CROSS, and "a testament to those who died during Spain's civil war". That which I just wrote in quotations is the "white bread", smoothed-out, and popular description. I, for one, have never gone there, mainly because of the views of my Spanish friends about it. Some of their fathers were against Franco and imprisoned for years because of it so they understandably have strong feelings against this place as it was built (mainly) FOR Franco supporters, and built (mainly) BY prisoners who opposed him. Many died in the construction. Anyone else want to give a more in depth description?? I'm sure many feel strongly about this topic as I do and I'm not even Spanish.

Saludos, MadridMan (P.S. Maybe this should also go in the ABOUT SPAIN forum??)

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#18748 - 02/08/01 09:43 AM Re: Valle do los Caidos
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
My first trip to Spain years and years ago I was literally dragged to Valle de los Caidos because the kids I was traveling with wanted to see it. It's a monolith to ugliness in every fashion - remember being horrified and crying a lot - best as I recall through very red eyes was that I would have given almost anything to have been anywhere else. Depressing - depressing - depressing - I still find it hard (as you might have noticed) to consider Valle de los Caidos a monument in any fashion. Sort of like going to Dachau (sp) without the history lesson!

Hope no-one is offended by my 'ranting' here!

#18749 - 02/08/01 12:07 PM Re: Valle do los Caidos
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
When visiting another country, I think it's important to see both "the good and the bad." What's wrong with feeling some emotion? Valle de los Caidos is a part of Spanish history.

#18750 - 02/08/01 12:22 PM Re: Valle do los Caidos
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
In answer to the question....Yes, there is a bus you catch from El Escorial that goes up to the monument. Then you walk up the long mountain staircase to the base or you can take a tram. It's so large and overwhelming that it's worth the trip. I know most modern Spaniards hate this place but it's still very interesting to see and walk inside the full size cathedral carved out inside the the rocky mountain.

Leche

#18751 - 02/08/01 12:50 PM Re: Valle do los Caidos
James Offline

Loc: London
Thanks. Now I think of it I remember hearing about this bus when I was in El Escorial but I don't think it was running the day I was there (should have planned ahead). It was probably a monday when things shut down.

#18752 - 02/08/01 10:08 PM Re: Valle do los Caidos
aphra Offline

Loc: New York City, USA
I'm in the "won't go" camp, too. Franco did horrific evil to Spain--robbing her of her hard-won democracy for 40 years; inviting Hitler's bombs to murder her people; and indeed destroying far more history than this monument to himself and his reign of fascism could ever represent. Seeing the good and bad of Spain's history is one thing. Buying into Franco's self-serving propaganda and personal spin on history is something else entirely.

#18753 - 02/09/01 12:08 AM Re: Valle do los Caidos
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
I'd go. It's a place that could be built in the 20th century only by a man with Franco's authority. Most countries don't build places like this anymore, and it's worth seeing.

I don't know that "many" died in its construction. But some did. I'm told that prisoners did work on it, but in return for their labor had their sentences shortened. At least that's what I was told when I was in Madrid occasionally during the years of its construction.

I find the anti-Franco argument to be less than convincing. Would you not visit the Escorial because you may not have liked the policies of Phillip II? It's part of history. Ignoring it won't make it go away. IMHO it's worth the trip. Both The Valley of the Fallen and Escorial can be covered in a single day.
Cantabene

[This message has been edited by cantabene (edited 02-09-2001).]

[This message has been edited by cantabene (edited 02-09-2001).]

#18754 - 02/09/01 10:20 AM Re: Valle do los Caidos
Miguelito Offline

I agree with Cantebane that you shouldn't miss it because of political reasons, as time has past since then, I think that almosts of the biggest constructions has been done under big oppresions, like pyramids in Egypt, etc..,
anyway I'm not sure of its artistic value. Of course it's impressive because of its size, but places of this category are still built I think, you just need money. The last faraonic building I remember is the mosque of Hassan II in Rabat, I don't find fair to spend so much money in such things when people is so poor, but anyway the mistake is done, your position has no effect.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments