Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#18670 - 01/31/01 10:46 AM Algeciras/La Linea Experience
mclarke Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
After enjoying the city of Granada, Alhambra and getting lost in cobblestone streets, it was time to move to the next city -- Algeciras. We took the auto-bus at the same station where we arrived in Granada to Algeciras. It was around 2 1/2 hours. The sceneries was just breathtaking. One side of the bus window is the ocean and on the other side mountains with white houses. During that bus drive, my daughter and I became acquainted with little towns of Costa del Sol. We were told that Marbella is for the rich and famous and expensive. If ever we want to spend summer in Costa del Sol, find villas for rent in San Roque. Just so many beautiful towns along the coast. We arrived Algeciras at around noon. First thing first was to check whether the bus station we got off services Cadiz our next destination. We found out that there is another bus station in Algeciras where Hotel Octavio is located. We located Hostal Lopez. Our room had a bath and sink but no toilet. The cost was 4,000 pesetas for double. The hostal is run by a family who resides in the first floor. The place overall is clean, friendly and safe. As soon as we check-in, we went to the other bus station to check departure schedule to Cadiz. Algeciras is typical city port. Once we located the bus station located near Hotel Octavio, we also found out that the bus that services Gibraltar (La Linea) also leaves from that station. We boarded the bus for La Linea. As we arrived, La Linea, a sunny weather welcomed our arrival. We felt like children to see blue sky, blue weather and a spring like weather. As we walked towards Gilbratar, territory of Britain, at check point, a Spanish guard asked for our passport. Alas! Darling daughter did not have her passport, thinking that her Spanish residency card would let her enter Gilbratar. On the spot, she received some lesson from the Spanish guard telling her that a passport is required to enter the Rock. I had my passport but nevertheless, did not enter the Rock. Despite a set back, the beautiful weather and scenery could not dampen our spirit. We took pictures showing the Rock as background. We realized we were in Brit territory, when we saw two Chinese restaurants less than a block away from each other. La Linea's building has color that is like peach but more on the pink side. We explored La Linea's beach area and walk to the center of town. As we all know, most establishments are closed after 2:00 pm. Walking the center of town when everything was closed was like doing a retreat - no noises. Luckily, we saw a street sweeper and asked where we could find a good local restaurant. He graciously recommended one but on the other side of the street was a middle-aged woman who overheard the conversation and apologized that she was "butting in". Daughter said, her "butting in" was welcomed. This lady walked us to her favorite restaurant and told the owner to give us their best food. The people at the restaurant were so hospitable and explained to my daughter what is their menu del dia and what ingredients were used. The costs for two was 1,8000 pesetas including the bottle of wine. In the most of the cities, we visited such as Madrid, Cordoba, Granada, for my first plate, if the picadillo soup was available I would always order for it. So far the best picadillo soup I have tasted in Spain was from this family run restaurant in the center of town in La Linea. The food was delicious and again we had a bottle of red wine, compliments of the house. We visited the Arts Museum "Bella Artes". After exploring the shopping areas in La Linea, we took the bus back for Algeciras. We went back to hostal to rest. My daughter decided to go the port to see the sun go down. She took a beautiful picture of the clouds where the sun was about to disappear. We went to the shopping area in Algeciras. We noticed so much construction residential buildings in Algeciras. There is a seafood place owned by Brit. For tapas, we went to a bar near a square and the server told us to avoid streets that looks quiet and to take the main street back to our Hostal. As we were heading back to our hostal, there was a feeling of nervousness. Daughter reminded me to walk like I live in Algeciras. Once we reached our Hostal, we were thankful that we did not have any bad experiences. Algeciras is plain city port. I would advise folks to stay in LaLinea rather than Algeciras.

Lunch was 1,800 pesetas not 18,000

[This message has been edited by mclarke (edited 01-31-2001).]

#18671 - 01/31/01 01:53 PM Re: Algeciras/La Linea Experience
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
MClarke - you are very successfully making us all VERY homesick!!! Thank you for sharing your impressions - both mental and emotional - of our favorite country!

#18672 - 01/31/01 01:53 PM Re: Algeciras/La Linea Experience
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
MClarke - you are very successfully making us all VERY homesick!!! Thank you for sharing your impressions - both mental and emotional - of our favorite country!

#18673 - 01/31/01 10:26 PM Re: Algeciras/La Linea Experience
Kurt Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL. USA
Mclarke-

I have really enjoyed reading your detailed reports on your varios stops on your visit to Spain.

I drove through Algeciras and La Linea on my way from Cadiz to Gibralter. I had no idea I missed so much. You were right about the scenery in the Campo de Gibralter, though. So ruggedly beautiful! Can't wait to read your report from Cadiz (and to compare notes!)

Kurt

#18674 - 02/07/01 10:55 PM Re: Algeciras/La Linea Experience
abrand Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon USA
mclarke - thank you so much for your informative posts. I leave for Madrid on March 26 and plan to make my way down through trujillo and zafro to Sevilla where I will stay through 4/17 or I think I'll go to Cadiz for a bit longer. I plan to spend six of my nine+ weeks in Andulucia.

Again thank you for your posts they have been some of the most informative I've read. I loved your description of Cadiz and of your bus trip to from Granada to Algericas (sp?) You mentioned that you went to Cordoba. I certainly intend to go there as well. What can you tell me? Also any other thoughts about how you would spend six weeks in andalucia?

Thanks again - amber

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments