Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#18651 - 01/30/01 01:09 AM nine weeks in spain - any ideas
abrand Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon USA
I land in Madrid in late March and leave in early June. I can do whatever I want for nine and a half weeks. YEEEEHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've never been to Spain before. I'm reading the tour books voraciously and have a number of ideas.

But I'd love to hear from you.

Amber

#18652 - 01/30/01 08:50 AM Re: nine weeks in spain - any ideas
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
For that long of a time, I'd for sure hunker down at least 2-3 weeks in one place like Santader, Salamanca, Madrid, etc and take language classes! then they help with apartments/dorms/family housing, and all the rest.

#18653 - 01/30/01 01:02 PM Re: nine weeks in spain - any ideas
canadiense Offline

Loc: Magstadt, GERMANY
Good advice from rgf. Great thing about taking a short term language class is that you might meet other like-minded travellers as well. Stay with a family or in shared apartments and presto, instant contacts.

#18654 - 01/30/01 08:59 PM Re: nine weeks in spain - any ideas
abrand Offline

I've given the language class thing a lot of thought. I don't think I'm going to sign on with anyone straight away, instead I'll arrive in Madrid and stay a few days before heading out somewhere else for a couple weeks or making the decision to stay put. Then I'll go to one of the language schools and take classes for two weeks.

I considered staying with a family. But I've kind of strayed away from that idea. I'm not terrible worried about meeting people. This may sound wacky, but I'm viewing this time as an opportunity to follow my instinct and be free of obligations, schedules etc. I just have this feeling that if there's something I need I'll be able to find it. Language schools and lodging are highly structured and expensive and I'm not sure where I want to spend my first three weeks. I want to get there, wander around for a few days, then decide.

Any more thoughts on interesting places to travel?

Amber

#18655 - 01/30/01 10:00 PM Re: nine weeks in spain - any ideas
miles Offline

Loc: atlanta georgia usa
maybe you should try wandering into andalucia shortly after you arrive. you could experience semana santa and feria in seville. both are well worth witnessing, and unforgettable; no structure. total chaos. especially during feria.
or maybe visit cartagena for semana santa. it's off the beaten path, but the processions almost rival those of seville, with fewer tourists.

you'll have fun whatever you decide!

#18656 - 01/30/01 11:56 PM Re: nine weeks in spain - any ideas
abrand Offline

I like it, I like it!!!!!!!!!!

amber

Any more suggestions?

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments