Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#18424 - 12/23/00 04:11 PM Side trip from Palencia
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
I will be attending Palencia Cup w/several teenagers the first week of July and would like to spend week prior somewhere unique and not full of tourists and . Galacia sounds good but I know scenery won't be enough to keep 16 yr. olds excited especially if it's cool and rainy. Any comments or suggestions? Also any hostel or maybe affordable beachfront efficiency in maybe Sanjenjo or other towns on coast?

#18425 - 12/23/00 04:18 PM Re: Side trip from Palencia
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Wouldn't it be best to plunk the teens and you either in Barcelona or Madrid for the week prior? That would amuse them! Otherwise, if they are into beaches, you could go to the Alicante region. Santander is a staight shot from Palencia, but the weather can be iffy end of June. I know there are good efficiency apts. right by the Sardinero beach in Santader that aren't too expensive. Santander is very lively and fun, but if the weather is lousy, not much to do (except take the one hr bus ride to the Guggenheim)

[This message has been edited by rgf (edited 12-23-2000).]

#18426 - 12/23/00 05:51 PM Re: Side trip from Palencia
karenwishart Offline

I'm sure Madrid and Barcelona would give them lots of options but I guess I'm the "cautious free-spirit" type that would feel more comfortable giving them some "space" in a smaller town rather than a big city. I traveled as a college age vagabond in my day and felt the opportunities to really experience local color were better outside the cities. I'll appreciate the feedback.

#18427 - 12/23/00 06:52 PM Re: Side trip from Palencia
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Then how about a small, charming city such as Segovia, Salamanca, Leon, Zamora, etc? Wouldn't it be great if you could find some kind of situation where you are near other teens? Consider putting the kids in Academia Isla in Salamanca for a week! They could even live with a family! academiaisla.com

#18428 - 12/23/00 09:54 PM Re: Side trip from Palencia
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I agree with rgf, the kids would love Salamanca. There isn't much in the way of sightseeing there but it is definitely full of other students and fun for the clubs, cafes, etc. I don't think they'd get bored. If you do choose that I recommend Hostal Plaza Mayor or Hotel Condal -- they are usually about $50 for a double and about the same quality. Both are located centrally.
Hostal Plaza Mayor
Plaza del Corrillo, 20
tel 923 26 20 20
fax 923 21 75 48

Hotel Condal
Plaza Santa Eulalia, 3-5
tel 923 21 84 00

#18429 - 12/23/00 11:58 PM Re: Side trip from Palencia
karenwishart Offline

Actually the kids will be competing in the Palencia Cup (soccer) the following week. I do have a thread on another message board looking to maybe "meet" some fellow players ahead of time so yes... I would love to do a home stay or even bunk at a University if the term is basically over and dorm space beomes avilable. The girls may still prefer the beach scene as there will be lots of kids to meet the next week.Is it Salamanca that is a Univer. town and also is medieval?Or is it Zarmora that I hear is very truly old old Spain.

#18430 - 12/24/00 09:19 AM Re: Side trip from Palencia
rgf Offline
Executive Member

It is Salamanca that is a university town and Renaissance (not so much medieval). Gorgeous place. If you want a small (tho not entirely charming) city with a beach, try Vigo.

#18431 - 12/25/00 07:03 AM Re: Side trip from Palencia
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Vigo is a long haul from Palencia and it is not 'small.' For futbol, the beach scene and a University (of Cantabria & University Internacional Menendez Pelayo) try Santander and particularly El Sardinero. There's a nice stadium there, too.

#18432 - 12/25/00 09:46 AM Re: Side trip from Palencia
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Santander and El Sardinero were my first suggestions, too, but remember that in late June, the water isn't tremendously warm and in Santander you can get rain/clouds... but it is still a great place to go! I have the name of an efficiency apt. if you want it.

#18433 - 12/26/00 07:31 PM Re: Side trip from Palencia
karenwishart Offline

Thanks rgh, that address would be appreciated. Still like the idea of the coast.I took a chance on Big Sur,Calif this year in June and had gorgeous weather. I picture Galacia being geographically similar.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
galaxy, gazpacho
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1924 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments