Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#18275 - 10/31/00 06:34 PM places to stay in salamanca
melaniebrenda Offline

i will be traveling to salamanca, solo, at the end of november. any suggestions on places to stay, eat, hang out, etc.?

#18276 - 10/31/00 06:56 PM Re: places to stay in salamanca
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
I have friends in Rochester named Melanie and Brenda. Funny. Salamanca has good hotels, and fewer hostales/pensiones. Some people like to stay at Torres right on the Plaza Mayor (which is where ALL the action is). The restaurants and bars near the Plaza are abundant, as are the ones on the Rua Mayor near the University.

#18277 - 10/31/00 07:04 PM Re: places to stay in salamanca
melaniebrenda Offline

cool, thanks for the info.

#18278 - 10/31/00 07:23 PM Re: places to stay in salamanca
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Salamanca.Ahhh.

The heart and center of the city is in the plaza mayor (it is, to me, one of the most beautiful in Spain). A lot of the cool restaurants and discos are on the streets that lead into/out of the plaza.

Try the Bibioteca (disco) pretty small but fun, and Birdland was a nice club that spread up three floors and was filled with paintings by local artists. There was one place, an old mansion that they turned into a disco, but the name escapes me.

Do some shopping on Calle de toros at Zara's. I still love the clothes and shoes I bought there. Near the University are a couple of little cafes with tons of ambience, great coffee and good tapas.

Check out the round church, I used to live behind it on Ronde del Corpus. Behind the University and the cathedrals is the Roman Bridge - super old, and very pretty at dusk.

You can probably see everything in a day or two, but it is a heck of a fun place to hang out. Check out the plaza mayor at night and follow the students, especially on thursdays (unless it is exam time and then everything is dead quiet).

I am so annoyed that my shipment of stuff hasn't arrived from Kansas City since I moved. In it I have my journal, maps and pictures. I would be able to give you much better directions where to go..

#18279 - 11/01/00 10:40 AM Re: places to stay in salamanca
leuci Offline

I've been to Salamanca several times, always solo, and I know the city pretty well. However, I'm not big on nightlife and don't feel any need to be in the center of things, which might not be your perspective. That said, last November I had a pleasant experience at Hotel Aragon, Avenida Federico Anaya 5-7, tel 923/23-31-29, fax 923/23-30-00. Actually, it's only about 4 blocks from the old town. It was inexpensive, yet they accept credit cards. The rooms, though quite small, were clean, with phone and TV, and the bathrooms had been recently updated. I felt very safe, it was quiet, and the staff was friendly. I also enjoyed being in a residential neighborhood that wasn't overrun by students and tourists. A plus for me was the proximity of a couple of movie theaters that showed Spanish, not just U.S., films.
Insofar as sights, there are so many, particularly if you love architecture, that I'd recommend at least three nights. Of course, the cathedrals are a must, as is hanging out in the plaza. Simply wandering the streets aimlessly, at a leisurely pace, can be immensely rewarding. The market is a good place to stock up on cheese, cold cuts, etc., as well as saffron (much cheaper than in tourist-oriented places; makes a nice gift) and a local specialty called (I think) hornazo, which is a

#18280 - 11/01/00 10:46 AM Re: places to stay in salamanca
leuci Offline

Oops! I hit return by mistake. Anyhow, hornazo is a baked pastry that contains different types of pork.

One place that doesn't get a lot of mention but is worthwhile if you like Art Nouveau is Casa Lis, a museum housed in a modernista building. I saw a wonderful exhibition there about the connection between Japanese art and Art Nouveau, and the permanent collection is pretty good, too.

Have fun!

#18281 - 11/01/00 12:14 PM Re: places to stay in salamanca
melaniebrenda Offline

thanks for all the great info!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1564 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments