Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#18254 - 10/27/00 08:20 PM Torrejon Air Base
Mr Ed Offline

Loc: Santa Maria CA USA
Does anyone know if the Torrejon Air Base is still oprated by the US Air Force. I hear that the U S is gone and the base is now operated by the Spanish Air Force, if this is not true, the retired U S military have a budget hotel to stay at. Let me know

#18255 - 10/27/00 10:17 PM Re: Torrejon Air Base
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Hi, Mr. Ed,

What you heard is true. The Americans left the Torrejon Air Base some years ago, and the Spanish run it now.

I hope you still plan to visit Madrid! Take a look at the Hostels and Other Lodgings thread, and you'll see there are many nice, inexpensive places to stay!

Diana

#18256 - 10/28/00 02:19 PM Re: Torrejon Air Base
Mr Ed Offline

thanks Diana, I appreciate the reply. Yes we still plan to be in Madrid 9 Nov. We will probaly stay in Torrejon de Ardoz, with a rental card, since parking is esy and less conjested. I am trying to find out from airbus, if they pick up an drop off in Torreon. thinking of staying at Hostal Henares.

#18257 - 11/04/00 07:22 PM Re: Torrejon Air Base
Tam131 Offline

Loc: Tampa
Were you stationed at Torrejon? We were there for a few years in the early to mid 80's

#18258 - 11/05/00 05:26 PM Re: Torrejon Air Base
Mr Ed Offline

Yes, we too, from l966 to l969. We lived in Torrejon de Ardoz, on Hermanos del Hoya. In fact we were the first to move in the new building. We loved, my wife and 4 kids. We were in Madrid every weekend, or out somewhere, camping and fishing. Most of the folsk stayed on base or in their homes, not us. This will be our first visit since l969. We are going to stay 2 weeks, then to london, brussels, etc. If it is as good as when we were there, years ago, then we will make a longer stay next year.

#18259 - 11/06/00 05:13 AM Re: Torrejon Air Base
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
If this is your first time back since '69, you are in for quite a shock. Torrejon de Ardoz has grown considerably w/industrial parks as well as residential buildings. The 'cercanias' train also goes thru there and on to Alcala de Henares. I don't know if it goes all the way to Guadalajara. We passed thru there several times this year.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1574 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments