Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#18178 - 10/24/00 03:19 PM Should I go to Sevilla in Jan??
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Last January I went to Tenerife and had a great time. The weather was in the low 60s, some rain. I'm thinking of Sevilla and Carmona (and of course a few days in Madrid!) over my Jan break this year... I don't need TROPICAL weather but I sure do not want to have cold, wet weather in Sevilla. So, experienced colegas on the board, describe what I might expect the first week of Jan. in Sevilla! thanks!

#18179 - 10/24/00 03:42 PM Re: Should I go to Sevilla in Jan??
connie Offline

It sounds really weired, but is the truth: I was never ever as cold in my life as in Sevilla in January and February some years ago. However, I was told that I had particularly bad luck because there was an unusually prolonged rain period. Anyhow, some of the days were nice, and temperatures could even rise to 70, but at night, it seemed to go down to 40-50, which is not actually that bad, but the problem was that the buildings were badly insulated and there was no heating. The walls, the floor, everything WAS SO COLD! I bought additional socks, a second pyjama etc. in order to "survive". In Spain, they usually do not seem to heat as much as in the US, but in Sevilla it was extreme, it was as if they do not count with cold weather at all and hence you still find houses without heating. The elderly lady I stayed with thought we foreigners were pampered-but what can you do?
I think it is really a question of luck, you can have wonderful days in January, but I would make sure to stay in a place with good heating. What was great about that time of the year is that they were very few tourists. And you are still much more likely to have beautiful, sunny days than in other parts of the country.

#18180 - 10/24/00 03:48 PM Re: Should I go to Sevilla in Jan??
missmadrid98 Offline

Loc: Madrid
My flamenco teacher who lived in sevilla for 10 years said that she felt like she was going to freeze to death in the winters in sevilla. ya it's cold. just lke connie said the buildings have like no insulation. My teacher said the same bricks that were her wall in her room, were the same that were the ones on the outside, she was really cold.

------------------
Spain Page!! Check it out! http://www.geocities.com/missmadrid98

#18181 - 10/24/00 03:58 PM Re: Should I go to Sevilla in Jan??
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
rgf-
Although I haven't been to Sevilla in January for some years, I do remember the incredible dampness. Yes, it is cold, and although I know you aren't a Midwesterner, I'm sure you're tough enough to handle it. The days can be dreary sometimes, although yes, it can rise to 60-70, but the nights are chilly and damp. The thing to remember though, is that you'll be in Spain, so who cares!?
Too bad you aren't going to be there a few weeks later so you could catch los Carnavales de Cadiz. Are you going to stay at the Parador in Carmona? (I think it's there, haven't been there, though).

Most homes have the braceros(is that what the under the table heaters are called?) but I don't know what hotels/hostales will have.
good luck. How are your Spanish classes going w/ your students?

#18182 - 10/24/00 04:11 PM Re: Should I go to Sevilla in Jan??
rgf Offline
Executive Member

I'm worried. Even though I live in Buffalo, I want to escape cold and damp!! If I go to Sevilla, I'll stay, FOR FREE, at the magnificent Alfonso XII (or XIII-- can never remember which). This is thanks to all the points I accumulate in my travels w/ Sheraton/Westin properties. So I'd be warm inside... still. Maybe I should go back to las islas Canarias instead! My classes are going fine, thanks! I'm always adding links for those interested in Latin American literature ( http://wings.buffalo.edu/~rfeal )

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 10-24-2000).]

#18183 - 10/24/00 04:57 PM Re: Should I go to Sevilla in Jan??
rgf Offline
Executive Member

PS, yes, in Carmona I would stay at the Parador-- also free because of all the puntos I got during my two week parador trip last summer!

#18184 - 10/24/00 07:45 PM Re: Should I go to Sevilla in Jan??
miles Offline

Loc: atlanta georgia usa
might experience a bit of rain, but anytime is a fine time for seville.

#18185 - 10/25/00 01:26 PM Re: Should I go to Sevilla in Jan??
Jen Offline

rgf-
I'm pretty sure it's XIII. Wow! If you don't mind, can you tell us a bout this point thing? Is it w/ a credit card? If you're at the Alfonso XII, I'm sure they'll keep you nice and toasty there.

#18186 - 10/25/00 03:38 PM Re: Should I go to Sevilla in Jan??
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Yes, the point thing is with a credit card-- the American Express-Sheraton card (free; read about it on the AMEX website). Plus you get points for staying at the Sheraton.Westin hotels, which I do on business about 6 times a year. All in all I rack up enough points, along with their bonuses, for several nights free at great places. Last year in Jan I spent a night at the Palace and 4 nights at the Mencey in Tenerife ---amazing places-- for FREE! check out the program at http://www.preferredguest.com

#18187 - 10/25/00 04:00 PM Re: Should I go to Sevilla in Jan??
Jen Offline

Thanks for the info. Gotta love this board!
I say go to Sevilla, even though it'll be a bit damp and chilly.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments