Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#18134 - 10/12/00 05:37 PM Traveling Spain with teenagers
Debra Offline

This will be our first time to Spain-leaving around Dec 27th for 8 days. Where would you recommend going with a 15, 12 & 9 year old? What would be the best accomodations for a family? and what will the weather be like? Any help would be appreciated!

#18135 - 10/12/00 06:34 PM Re: Traveling Spain with teenagers
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
At that time of year, probably the south. The Alhambra in granada should thrill the teens (see how to get tickets on this board). Sevilla would be great, too. Madrid is always a fun place but a bit chilly then! i'd go south. If you can find apartments, those are the best. Otherwise, maybe a hostal that's family run where you could have two rooms?

#18136 - 10/12/00 06:48 PM Re: Traveling Spain with teenagers
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I was actually going to say Barcelona. I would think walking around the Parque Guell and Sagrada Familia would be great for kids. It's so unusual. The first time I went there it was December, and we were all fine walking around with a sweater or a windbreaker, but it may have been unusually warm, I don't know. Also, all of us that went were from the midwest or NY area, so were pretty accustomed to cold weather - Barcelona seemed fine.

I agree though too, that the south is a good idea. Barcelona and Andalucia would be my two choices..

[This message has been edited by Nicole (edited 10-12-2000).]

#18137 - 10/18/00 04:54 PM Re: Traveling Spain with teenagers
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I couldn't tell by your profile where you're from and therefore what your winters are normally like. Here are a few different suggestions than what's been posted. First of all, definitely be in Madrid on New Year's Eve and get into Puerta del Sol...it's like Time's Square, only no real threat of crazy nuts trying to pull something. Just a few thousand of your closest Spanish friends ringing in the New Year...I think your 12 and 15-year olds will love it... Second, although it may be a bit chilly, it will also be incredibly green along the Basque Coast...I recommend San Sebastian, which has the most incredibly shaped beach in Spain. Obviously you won't be going for a dip, but the city has much to see, do and yes, purchase. Since you won't be swimming, see San Sebastian (Donostia in Basque) in the a.m. and go to Bilbao and visit the new Guggenheim in the later day (about 1 hour's drive on a modern freeway). Your 9-year old will love "El Pupi" which is an immense topiary at the front entrance, and just seeing the amazing museum from the outside is worth the trip. The old quarter of Bilbao is about a five-minute walk from the "El Guggen", and in December you should be able to enjoy some hot fresh-roasted chestnuts sold on the street, and other things not so readily-available in the states. The bottom line, however, is that wherever you go, if your blood is thick or thin, you will enjoy Spain over the Christmas holiday. Best wishes, and Zorionak!

#18138 - 10/21/00 10:46 PM Re: Traveling Spain with teenagers
markt Offline

Loc: Beverly,MA USA
Debra, I'll be interested to hear how your trip goes. My family is taking our 1st trip to Spain next June.
We will probably fly in to Madrid, and drive down to Marbella to a timeshare we will be in
then back to mardrid for a couple of days.

We have to teen boys, 15 and 16.

#18139 - 01/14/01 09:22 AM Re: Traveling Spain with teenagers
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
Ditto for last post. Especially what the 15 year old liked to do/see.Email me a karinkawishart/@aol.com Tahnks

#18140 - 01/14/01 12:35 PM Re: Traveling Spain with teenagers
chopchi Offline

Try to experience a bullfight-in Madrid or Malaga.In Madrid at the Ventas bullring early in the day, you can go and check out the bulls and the horses that will be in the ring.All this is in the back of Ventas.Not very well marked,just walk around until you see the gate open and a bunch of people standing inside.The chapel and surgery are no longer open to the public but the open courtyard with vines leads to the bulls,the horses and the museum.The workers were very cordial to my students,let them feed the horses and feel the weight of the padding they put on the horses for protection.They even told us where to stand to see the bullfighters come in from the chapel to the ring-what an experience!People wanting to hug them,wishing them luck,taking photos,treating them like movie stars!Some of my students really couldn't bear to watch and they left and walked around outside.They had their names put on bullfighting posters!I am not a fan of bullfighting but do think it should be experienced.Get seats in the shade/sombra and way at the top.It's not necesssary to see bullfighting close up as it appears on TV.Your boys will have something to talk about.
The other place is the Parque de Atracciones.A little tricky but you can get there by Metro which impressed my students.Once again my students were able to mingle /talk with Spanish kids,figure out the rides and we, adults, relaxed and observed the crowds!You can buy a ticket that just allows you into the park-no rides .Just come up with a time and place to meet.Great fun.
You may find the kids need a touch of home and the Hard Rock cafe was the place.We did this after a few days of museums ,cathedrals, óverload of culture!If you just want a drink then you can go right in.If it's a meal, then there's usually a long line.Don't miss thelittle shop where you kids buy the pins,hats etc.The highlight was when the whole place went wild with everyone joining in to sing -YMCA-they were even standing on the bar!
Marbella is another place my students visited.Prepare your boys for the bare- chested women and the public showers on the beach!I think our boys are still talking about them!Make sure you visit the old section-narrow streets with balconies with flowers boxes,every turn is a delight.
We drove down from Marbella and took a trip to Gibraltar or the Prudential rock as the kids called it. Leave your car on the Spanish side and walk across,you'll save loads of time.Take an hour bus tour and you'll see the stalagmite caves and at the top the barbary apes.Our driver was great.He did a no-no,and fed them when they jumped in onto his lap after he honked his horn.
My last suggestion depends on how adventurous you are as a family!In the afternoon you can go to Tangiers from Gibraltar.We took the hovercraft and then again a tour.All they got was a taste of the third world and that was my goal.It was an eye-opener for the kids.The treasured souvenir is a Coke bottle w/Arabic writing!
June is a great month to visit Spain-not too hot but make the kids drink plenty of water.We made sure we had bottled water w/us at all times.
One other thought in Madrid.If your boys are into soccer,try to see a game.The season may be over but visit the soccer stadium.Once again, our students lucked out.Our school is really into soccer and so we went to the Real Madrid stadium,Bernabeu,by metro.Some kind workers let the kids in and they were overwhelmed by its size-took photos on the field!

#18141 - 01/26/01 08:40 AM Re: Traveling Spain with teenagers
Bill Russell Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA USA
My wife and two teenage sons are planning a two week tour in early June. Probably beginning in Madrid then circling north to Bilboa, over to Barcelona and then to the south. Any suggestions for tour operators or other info on making this trip with a 15 and a 17 year old would be appreciated. If anyone with similar aged kids is making a tour like this would you be interested in discussing travel plans?

------------------
Bill R.

#18142 - 02/24/01 09:49 PM Re: Traveling Spain with teenagers
markt Offline

Loc: Beverly,MA USA
hey, chopchi, thanks for the info. That sounds very nice.
We got a really good price on airline tickets
so will be flying right into Melega.
Other people made it sounds like it was a big hassle to go visit the rock of Gerbarlta.
but you made it sounds pretty easy.
Did you arange any of it ahead of time.
Or just show up ith your passports.
thanks

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2728 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments