Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#18104 - 10/06/00 02:50 PM Re: hemingway in madrid?
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
...speaking of the international brigades, if you haven't already, you (everyone!) must see the movie, "Ay Carmela!". It's really good. Funny,, sad, dramatic.. Check it out!

That's pretty clever of the bar next door to el botin, as I'm sure it draws lots of customers in!

#18105 - 10/06/00 03:24 PM Re: hemingway in madrid?
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Well, Shawn did tell me about the reason but I forgot it.

Of course, I knew about Hemingway's obssesion for Spain and about his books. But what I was just asking about was the reason of the notice, as real_megia said.

BTW, just beside Botin there is a tablao flamenco which has turn out to be the cheapest tablao in Madrid, as far as I know. They charge a minimum of 800 pesetas for a drink but you don't have to pay to enter, as you have in Casa Patas or Torres Bermejas.

Regards,

Antonio

PS: real_megia, the translation I've found in my dictionary is not precisely a compliment but I guess it also have other meanings.

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

#18106 - 10/06/00 04:06 PM Re: hemingway in madrid?
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
Antonio-
saucy can also mean simpatico o gracioso, y sí, ¡lo eres!

#18107 - 10/07/00 07:22 AM Re: hemingway in madrid?
nicholas Offline

Loc: san diego, ca. u.s.a. (granada...
"ay, carmela" is an excellent film. carlos saura always had a sense for the bitter sweet nature of stories. if all of you are so interested in the international brigades, i recommend you find the film "tierra y libertad." its about a young british communist who joins the POUM and fights on the arogonese front.

as a teacher i am certainly interested as to where this thread has led to.

antonio, did you read any of my previous post? it provides you a decent explanation as to the hemingway/botin/el cuchi sign over the door connection.

#18108 - 10/07/00 11:30 AM Re: hemingway in madrid?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
There was another tavern near Plaza Callao that's specialty was Angulas. I went there with my wife's uncle around 1970 and he told me that 'Papa' Hemingway had once been one of that Tavern's 'regulars.' With all the construction that went on in that area over the past 40-years, I don't know if the place still exists. If you get to the neighborhood, ask where one can find angulas (little baby eels) and you will have found another of Hemingway's 'hangouts' in Madrid.

#18109 - 10/18/00 04:37 PM Re: hemingway in madrid?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
This has been a pretty entertaining post so far to observe. Let me add my "dos duros":

Having had dinner at both restaurants, I know why Hemingway never ate at El Cuchi: es muy cara la cena. We visited both in the spring of 99 and had a tapas-style dinner at El Cuchi...the cochinillo I had at Casa Botín was not only less expensive but a much better dinner than El Cuchi...and I LOVE tapas. By the way, the best cochinillo in Castilla is at Mesón Candido in Segovia. That is a don't miss if you get the chance.

#18110 - 10/18/00 05:14 PM Re: hemingway in madrid?
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
¡de acuerdo! the best cochinillo you will have is in segovia!

#18111 - 10/29/00 11:35 AM Re: hemingway in madrid?
BBEddie Offline

Loc: Brooklyn
All I can add is that Madrid itself is a Museum to Papa Hemmingway. His love for the Spanish culture was evident to all and perhaps that was exemplified mostly in the love of a city that loves to live its life to the fullest everyday. If you want a fine lunch at an elegant setting, try the Cafe Gijona, a Hemmingway Hangout and the literary center of Madrid for years, at 21 Paseo de Recoletos near the Cibeles fountain. The merluza baked in a safron broth was sensational.
I'll bet by now someone must have written a guide book with the theme of a Hemmingway Tour of Spain.

#18112 - 10/29/00 01:56 PM Re: hemingway in madrid?
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
I think it one of the supreme ironies of the 20th century that we were fortunate to have Franco win the Spanish Civil War.
Although most American hearts and minds were sympathetic to the Republic ( and many still are) had Franco lost, Spain would in all probability have become a Communist country, considering the depth of Soviet influence and control there during the war.

A Communist Spain would undoubtedly have made our efforts to contain Soviet Russia more difficult during the long cold war.

In the long view we seem to have been fortunate that Franco won, in spite of so much American antagonism toward him and his regime.
Cantabene

[This message has been edited by cantabene (edited 10-29-2000).]

#18113 - 10/29/00 05:44 PM Re: hemingway in madrid?
Balise Offline

Loc: Oregon, USA
Does anyone know why Hemingway liked the Spanish culture so much? When I was in Cuba, there was a lot about him there. He owned a house there, too. And at one of the hotels where he often used to stay, they've preserved the room he always rented. You can visit it now (for a fee, of course).

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1888 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments