Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#18060 - 09/20/00 04:02 PM Along the Coast Near Barcelona
Mike Griffis Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA, US
My family (2 adults, 3 teenagers)want to stay for a week on the Mediterian Coast somewhere near Barcelona. We have access to time share apartments in Tarragona and Saluo. Any comments on preference between the two towns, or sugestions for other areas we should try? This is our first time to Europe, and we picked the Spanish Mediterian first.

#18061 - 09/25/00 01:38 AM Re: Along the Coast Near Barcelona
nicholas Offline

Loc: san diego, ca. u.s.a. (granada...
you're heading to spain's mediterranean coast i see. i'm somewhat limited in my knowledge of the beach towns along the mediterranean as i greatly stay away from the touristy areas. my knowledge of the eastern coast is limited to only valencia and la albufera. both i loved. i do realize none of these are located in cataluna(province where barcelona is located), so i'm not sure if they are in the plans. my very best suggestion for any coastal city is cadiz in andalucia. this is actually located on the southern mediterranean coast. don't foreget that spain's coastline is not just the eastern half of the country.
if you are only able to staying in cataluna tarragona would be my choice. it is a historical town with its roman ruins. remeber this though, its all about what you're looking for. i'm more partial to the historical,cultural/human aspect of being there...not the tourist on vacation. my suggestions are based on that. so you need to decide what it is you're going there for.
don't forget though, seeing how this is your first trip to spain, make sure you head to the city for which this board is dedicated...our beloved madrid!

#18062 - 09/26/00 03:42 PM Re: Along the Coast Near Barcelona
balanceok Offline

Loc: Tulsa, OK USA
I vote Tarragona. Be sure and visit Gerona. It is a beautiful old town. The beach at Tossa is also a nice spot. Beautiful scenery.
Enjoy.

------------------
"No other success can compensate for failure in the home."

#18063 - 09/30/00 01:24 PM Re: Along the Coast Near Barcelona
Gato Offline

I would recommend Tarragona. It is my favourite smaller town on that coast. I find it very nice, safe and special town because of those roman ruins. Also there is a good beach over there and many good restaurants. If an "everyday is like sunday" -feelings starts to bother you or your teenagers, there is always Barcelona easy to reach. Or you can visit Valencia. And why not to take a night train to Madrid..!

[This message has been edited by Gato (edited 09-30-2000).]

#18064 - 10/17/00 06:56 PM Re: Along the Coast Near Barcelona
Crann Offline

Loc: Liverpool, England
Tarragona!

I hope I'm not too late to rescue you from a horrible holiday choice. I stayed two weeks in Salou two years ago and it was AWFUL. It's package holiday territory and you'll never return to Europe if you go there and imagine it's typical. It's like, for example, Kissimee in the Orlando area of Florida - only worse.

Tarragona is a lovely ancient town with a Roman amphitheatre where st Paul once preached and lots of other interesting historical associations AND there are beaches nearby. There's also Port Aventura a short trip along the coast in the direction of Salou - a Universal Studios type park with rollercoasters and stuff.

Barcelona is less than an hour away on the safe, clean, quick train and you could take the bus from Tarragona bus station to Mont Blanc, a pretty little town in the hills.

And you can always take the train to Salou for a day at the beach and see all the people turning boiled lobster pink and drinking too much lager, and give thanks you chose Tarragona.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
1 registered (ChrisS), 1622 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments