#18011 - 09/18/00 04:20 PM Re: silly madrid trivia
miles Offline

Loc: atlanta georgia usa
i love you people!

#18012 - 09/19/00 05:34 AM Re: silly madrid trivia
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Madrilenos used to call themselves 'Gatos' because the Province of Madrid is shaped like a cat.

As in Ireland: If the police stop a car and a person riding in the passenger seat is not wearing a seat belt, the passenger gets the fine, not the driver.

Madrid ordinances require new construction in areas designated as 'historic' to adhere to the existing architectural style. I knew of some cases where a building was 'gutted' and a new, modern building was constructed within the old facade.

And then there's MadridMan's favorite: Plaza de Atocha. When I first arrived in Madrid in 1960, it was a very busy traffic circle: a traffic cop would stand on a box in the middle directing traffic. Around 1970, they built a complex of overpasses to relieve the traffic congestion - but they took away from the beauty of the area (the point of entry into Madrid for many people) and probably resulted in a traffic nightmare. So they tore down the overpasses and put a fountain in the middle of the traffic circle. It looks much nicer now.

The 'posts' about the excavations near the Palacio Real (and Campo Moro) and how they were stopped for about 2-years to determine if there were archeologically significant artifacts there might make some interesting reading.

#18013 - 09/19/00 09:32 AM Re: silly madrid trivia
WDJunior Offline

Oh man, what have I done?? I thought people around here would understand the "spanish way oy saying things". "Vale, vale tranquilos!" is nothing bad or doesn´t mean anything near "**** you" or else! People in Spain greet each other saying for example "que pasa cabrón" and no one gets upset! And as I am not a native english speaker (although I think my english isn´t that bad;-)) I didn´t think the exclamation "what the hell is wrong with you people" would offend anyone. Anyways, I´m sorry everybody!
To rgf: You´re wrong saying "tranquilita". I´m male, pal. Now I quote:"It was the disrespect that Margarita showed in saying she didn't want any of the usual nonsense (historical/cultural info about Madrid)". Excuse me rgf but, could you please tell me where Margarita wrote that? I´m sorry but I can´t find any disrespect or anything about not wanting any "usual nonsense" in her post. And believe me, I´m the first one to get mad when anybody says anything bad about Spain or Madrid.
To Nuria: I am 29 y.o. What´s bad publicity about knowing that Madrid had the first gorilla zoo in Spain or wherever (I know it´s not true but what if it were)?
To MadridMan: Your site rules and its really fun reading all kinds of stuff about this Madrid I know so well, whenever I´m a little homesick. I´ll be in Madrid from october 3rd-10th, so if I see a guy walking around with a camcorder and about three foto cameras around his neck, I´m pretty sure who that´s going to be;-))
Take care.
Un saludo a todos!

#18014 - 09/19/00 02:22 PM Re: silly madrid trivia
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
WD Junior-
You did nothing wrong, so don't worry. Perhaps you could have omitted the word "hell", but other than that, everything should be fine. There are a few sensitive and protective members on this board. As far as I'm concerned, this forum should be democratic where people are free to express their views in a safe way, and, as I said before, not have to walk around on egg shells! Life is too short for such hang ups. A little sense of humor goes a long way. ¿Vale? ¡Vale! ¡Tranquilos! By the way, I value and appreciate many of the opinions on this board and I really enjoy(obviously) reading/participating, so let's not let this get out of hand. Take it easy everyone!

[This message has been edited by Jen (edited 09-19-2000).]

#18015 - 09/19/00 02:39 PM Re: silly madrid trivia
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Of course a little humor goes a long way. So does some care. WB Junior has not yet read Margarita's posts where she does certainly say "the usual nonsense". He also assumes that the language of a 20 something Spaniard is easily translatable into the context of this forum. I know plenty of espanyoles and they do NOT greet one another w/ 'que pasa, cabr*n. However, my son's age group does. So... respect all the way around. WD, you jumped right in before getting a feel for the board. That's the real problem. And MM, if I am one of those sensitive protective types, I can be outta here and cede the floor to the young cabr*nes happily...

#18016 - 09/19/00 03:28 PM Re: silly madrid trivia
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Eddie,

At the Legends of Madrid walking tour they told us a different reason for what madrileños are called gatos. I guess there are severals stories about this.

Anyway, I think that Margarita was looking for things like that.

You can also find lots of books about Madrid at Ediciones La Librería .

Regards,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

#18017 - 09/19/00 04:06 PM Re: silly madrid trivia
Jen Offline

rgf-
That was me, Jen, who said that about people being sensitive. I really love your input to the board and DO NOT want you to step aside. Can't we all just get along!? :-)

#18018 - 09/19/00 06:02 PM Re: silly madrid trivia
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Breathe innnnn.... Breathe outtttt.... Innnn... Outttt.... There! Now don't we all feel better? Hehehehe... Everyone has their own personality and yes, it's important to let that shine through. But let's do be respectful of those whom we might not know are a little more sensitive. And by the way, "in the beginning" of MadridMan's Spain Message Board, I set things so that when particular swear words are written that they show up as "****". I think there are only 4-words which are censored though. The Big Four: F***, S***, C***, AS*H***. (and if you don't know what these are you're better off). I couldn't put the 5th one in the censor because it could be someone's first name. hehehe..

Anyway Margarita, I hope you find some interesting, unusual, and not-too-embarrassing things to say about Madrid.

Saludos, MadridMan

P.S. My mom always told me and my sister, "Play nice, children."

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#18019 - 09/19/00 06:50 PM Re: silly madrid trivia
Jen Offline

MM-
I was just wondering-
Why is it that you censor at all? Not only so called swear words, but I remember once upon a time when you honored someone's question about mar*jua*a or has* (Ha Ha) and then promptly removed it. I'm takin gthe liberty to assume that you probably don't want to offend others or be offended yourself, or even perhaps , you may want to protect the innocent eyes of minors or sensitive readers. Have you ever looked at Rick Steve's website? It is very professional and non offensive, yet it entertains all types of travel-related interests in a non-judgmental, democratic, free speech-minded kind of way. Care to respond, or anyone else for that matter? Oh, I suppose this is in the wrong forum. Please forgive me. Aw, what the h*ll, my favorite place is Sevilla!

Sincerely,
Jen

#18020 - 09/19/00 07:03 PM Re: silly madrid trivia
missmadrid98 Offline

Loc: Madrid
i just wonder what margarita is going to say when she returns to this thread to see her replies, whooooooo weeeeee!!!!!!

------------------
Spain Page!! Check it out! http://www.geocities.com/missmadrid98/homepage.html?957296168010

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1795 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments