Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#18031 - 09/20/00 01:21 PM Re: silly madrid trivia
Castiza Offline

Loc: Madrid
Here's one big difference between Spain and the USA: the use of censorship in "rude" words.
I've never seen the famous "*" when readind in spanish or heard the famous "whistle?" when watching TV in Spain. However, I think it's quite common in the USA. We don't see the point in writing "j*der". If everyone understands what it really means, then why isn't it written completly?

This kind of "tacos" are very spread in our country. Of course, you won't say them when talking to your boss, but are acceptable in colloquial speaking.

A funny thing happenned a few years ago when the "gilipollas", a taco which is used to name stupid people, was included in the Royal Academy Dictionary because of its frequent use.

#18032 - 09/20/00 01:22 PM Re: silly madrid trivia
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
So how 'bout that gorilla zoo near the clothespin factory!?

#18033 - 09/20/00 01:35 PM Re: silly madrid trivia
WDJunior Offline

Sorry about this, but if someone writes to me in spanish, I have to answer in the same language:
Estimada rgf,
no se preocupe que estas serán las últimas palabras que le dirija a Ud.. Lo siento pero no he entendido muy bien a que se refiere cuando escribe "Ud. se ha definido muy bien". Tampoco le encuentro mucho sentido a la frase "siendo hijo de quien es". Conoce Ud. a mi madre o a mi padre? De lo contrario le agradecería enormemente, si dejase fuera de esta discusión (la cual empezó siendo más bien una broma y alguna que otra persona ha acabado convirtiendo en una entramado de lo más ridículo) a mi familia.
Espero que lo de "siendo hijo de quien es" no signifique lo que estoy pensando, ya que si así fuese espero recibir una disculpa.
Dear Connie: Did I say anything about going to your boss or your grandma and start swearing like there´s no tomorrow;-))
I think I´m going to stop posting for a couple of days, because it really seems to me that some people are really turning everything I say against me.
Poor WDJunior;-)
aka: "El chulo" (hehehe)

#18034 - 09/20/00 06:44 PM Re: silly madrid trivia
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
This thread saddens me. I hope that the nuclear missles being exchanged on this board do not continue. The disagreement/misunderstanding between rgf and WDJunior has left a bitter taste in my mouth. I revel in reading differing opinions, but loathe the personal nature that this row has taken on. I hope that both rgf and WDJunior contine to contribute, as they have enriched this board in the past with keen insights and wit. Perhaps, the fallout (pun intended) will be that we will watch what we type a bit closer.

MadridMan, Perhaps we can declare a week long feast to reconsecrate the peace? I will gladly hoist my glass of rioja in the name of la paz.

#18035 - 09/20/00 08:04 PM Re: silly madrid trivia
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I agree, Shawn. We're so far off-topic here I think it's time to close the thread and one can start in the "General Chatter" forum if people would like to continue on this topic (hope not though).

MadridMan commands you! NO ONE leaves this board!!! hehehehe..

Abrazos a TODOS, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments