Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#17984 - 09/08/00 06:02 PM Place for almost 30 year old
sugarhiccup Offline

Loc: new york
Hi there,

I'm turning 30 at the end of the year (yikes) and have decided to quit my job and spend the next couple of months (Sep, Oct, Nov) in Spain. I'm not a 'big-city' person so have ruled out long stays in Madrid or Barcelona. I am trying to decide between Salamanca, Granada or Seville as a base for my stay. I'm looking for a place where it is easy to meet people and has lots of cafes, bookshops, parks, easy access to hiking and weekend trips.

I've thought about a couple of weeks each in Salamanca and Granada, finishing with a month in Seville. I should also add that I'd like to attend language school during my stays in those places. The only two I've looked at are Don Quijote and CLIC.

Any information you could share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for you help!

#17985 - 09/08/00 07:02 PM Re: Place for almost 30 year old
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
My son attended ISLA in salamanca (they have a website); there were people of all ages, and the learning was GREAT. They can help you find an apt, too. You'd be happy in any of those places. I know there is hiking near Granada; ditto w/ Salamanca (the penya de Francia is nearby...). What an adventure!!

#17986 - 09/09/00 08:04 AM Re: Place for almost 30 year old
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
30? You are a kid! Most of my friends in Spain are 30 + - (I am 25) You won't have any problem to meet people!
I would choose Sevilla. It is a city but it is small and you can go to the small villages that are around there. It is cheap and you have a lot of cafes. People is very friendly. Another place that you might consider is Cadiz. Beautiful place.

#17987 - 09/09/00 03:28 PM Re: Place for almost 30 year old
supaJack Offline

Loc: Houghton, Mi, USA
I would like to recomend Cadiz too. Personaly its my second favorite city, just behind Sanlucar but it was the most beautiful place I have ever been in my life. I don't think it has a big university but it definitly deserves checking out.

#17988 - 09/11/00 12:15 PM Re: Place for almost 30 year old
missmadrid98 Offline

Loc: Madrid
i think Sevilla would be great. Alot of places nearby to visit, and a big enough city to meet lot's of people!

------------------
Spain Page!! Check it out! http://www.geocities.com/missmadrid98/homepage.html?957296168010

#17989 - 10/05/00 05:43 PM Re: Place for almost 30 year old
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I have to say that Salamanca is a great city for hanging out and meeting people. I spent a year there and loved every minute of it. The only thing is, it is not that easy to get to other places from there. In Sevilla you have the AVE to Madrid, and from there, can go anywhere. Also, Salamanca has a lot of 20-21 year olds that are doing their junior year abroad - the Scandinavians studying there are usually even younger. So it depends what you want. It is fun, but there are enough quiet spots to hide away and read a book (although I don't suggest the public parks, because anytime I was alone reading in a park, I got propositioned by old men). The people in Salamanca are more reserved than those in the south - it is a TOTALLY different feel. Why not take a few days in each spot until you decide which fits your style more. Or, spend a month in each..

#17990 - 10/06/00 11:54 AM Re: Place for almost 30 year old
kk49827 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
If you're looking for a language school and want to go somewhere a litle bit different, try Alicante. The Universidad de Alicante is great. It is very small but the classes there are excellent. Alicante is right on the water and there are plenty of beaches. Also, there is a secton of town called the Barrio where lots of college age folks and people from out of town hang out. Even if you choose another city, Alicante is definately worth a visit. Good luck.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments