Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#17937 - 08/25/00 07:16 AM Re: Itinerary for Two Weeks in November
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
Hi fauxhemian (great name!) - to return to your question after the Chinchon controversy ;-),

I think Barcelona-Andalucia is a good idea, given that you have to start in Barcelona. However, you need to think about what you want to see, what you're looking for in Andalucia. This will help you decide where you plan to arrive. It may well be that the fastest way for you to get there from Barcelona (by train) is actually via Madrid. So you'll be passing through Madrid anyway (as well as ending up there, from what you say).

I believe the main entry points (by fast train) to Andalucia from Madrid are Sevilla and Cordoba. From Cordoba the train continues (at a somewhat slower pace!) to Malaga, which is the main point of access to the south coast (Costa del Sol, de la Luz, Costa Tropical etc.) Travelling on from Malaga along the coast (east or west) is by bus only (apart from a few suburban train lines).

Andalucia (as has been mentioned) is a vast and mostly mountainous area and is the kind of place that some people dedicate a lifetime too. To make the most of your trip you need to think about what you might want to see and do. In November the days are still warm and sunny, and the light is dazzling (especially so in Almeria - one of the 8 provinces which make up Andalucia). The inland cities of Sevilla, Granada, Cordoba have the great classics of moorish and mudejar architecture, and most people make for at least one of them. One is plenty if you want to spend time just relaxing and "being there". Each has its own distinct character, but for sheer beauty of location, for me it has to be Granada. (Climb the hill of the Albaicin to Mirador San Nicholas to see the alhambra as the sun is setting, and drink the cool spring water from the font - if you feel like a spell is being cast, you're right!). Sevilla is all the exhuberant cliches of Spain and then some, but it won't feel cliched when you come up against the real thing! (ten cuidado!) Cordoba is the most "modest" of the three, with fewer tourists, full of quiet corners of sheer delight.

Apart from these classics, there are many beautiful smaller towns, and wonderful mountain villages. And then there's the much-maligned coast with ... but maybe that's for another trip!

Y Missmadrid! Ole!

#17938 - 08/25/00 11:30 AM Re: Itinerary for Two Weeks in November
fauxhemian Offline

Thanks for the compliment (about my name), El Boqueron, and your helpful comments.

Your point about how traveling through madrid to get to Andalucia from Barcelona may be faster than going straight from Barcelona to Andalucia is a good one.

You raise another issue that was behind my Barcelona-Andalucia thinking -- the weather. Wouldn't it be cold in the area around Madrid in November? I thought I would spend more time in the warmer part of the country and save Madrid for some other time. What do people think?

#17939 - 08/25/00 01:32 PM Re: Itinerary for Two Weeks in November
mimijac Offline

Go for the sun !!!! Forget Madrid this time...

I'm going around the same period (last of october and first week of november). I'll spend 2 nights in Madrid because my plane arrives there but then, south I go. Partly because of the weather but also because i am least interested in real big cities (although beautiful!) like Madrid. So here is my itinary: 2 night in Madrid, 1 night in Valence, 2 in Granada, 4 in Seville, 1 in Cordoue, 1 in Cacares (for the medieval atmosphere and the incredible paradore!), 1 in Tolede and 1 in Segovia.

Have a nice trip

#17940 - 08/26/00 03:43 PM Re: Itinerary for Two Weeks in November
rere Offline

Loc: palm springs, ca, usa
Hey there Faux,

I will also be in Spain this Nov., as I was last Nov. This year I'm spending 9 days in Madrid and taking two or three day trips to places I've never visited, such as Aranjuez. I'm also visiting Granada for 4 days, Ronda for 2, and Sevilla for 5.

You might consider staying in Barcelona 5 days, Madrid 7 days, and Toledo 2 days. Toledo is especially nice in November; that is, it's not crowded. If you do visit the South, I'd take the AVE down to Cordoba or Sevilla.

I hope you enjoy your trip.

Madridman, You've got a super site. Just booked into Hostel Lopez for 7 nights.

Thanks.

#17941 - 08/30/00 03:00 PM Re: Itinerary for Two Weeks in November
flojin Offline

Hey,
I'm going to Barcelona in mid-November too. It looks like it'll be pretty cold there, and I'm trying to find a small town nearby to hang out in for a few days. I might do what you're doing and shoot down to Madrid. I'm just going to Barcelona because I got a deal on flying there from New York.
flojin

#17942 - 09/15/00 06:35 PM Re: Itinerary for Two Weeks in November
Mauceri Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Gee, I am going to be in Madrid in Nov (for a conference)with husband and children ages 10 and 13. We thought we would fly into Paris for a few days, visit Barcelona for 4 to 5 days and then Madrid where we must be for 5 days. I wondering now if this will be too much traveling??? Also, any ideas for things the kids might like????

#17943 - 09/15/00 07:27 PM Re: Itinerary for Two Weeks in November
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Mauceri,

You will find cheaper flight from París to Madrid than to Barcelona. Try to get good offers and fly from París -> Madrid and then Madrid -> Barcelona.

Regards,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

#17944 - 09/15/00 07:46 PM Re: Itinerary for Two Weeks in November
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
It COULD be ok to do all that traveling,IF costs don't matter (lots of one way planes) and if you allow at least 4 days in each city. Otherwise, Barcelona and Madrid will be MORE than enough! Kids usually like the city life as long as you don't haul them to too many museums. In November it gets dark earlier and of course is colder, but they should be OK if you spend lots of time in fun bars.restaurants, walking around in the sun in the day, flamenco, etc. The Palacio Real in Madrid is a MUST.

#17945 - 09/15/00 10:02 PM Re: Itinerary for Two Weeks in November
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Hi, Maureci,

My kids are about the same ages as yours. I think it's a great age to travel. I'm sure they'll have a great time in all three places.

Here are some ideas of places to take them in Madrid.

- the Zoo / Aquarium
- the Parque de Attracciones (amusement park)
- the Prado Museum (yeah, it's all art, but it's some of the finest they'll ever see! My kids love it.)
-the Royal Palace (don't miss the amazing Armoury - big hit with kids)
-walk around the Plaza Mayor and check out the food in the windows (baby pigs, etc.)
-the Museum of Archaeology (see the copy of the Altamira caves to the left of the entrance, and their Ancient Egyptian rooms)
-There's a wax museum in the Plaza Colon, but I haven't actually been in it.
-Go rowing in the lake in the Retiro Park.
-If you can get out of the city, go to Manzanares el Real, which is very close, and tour the castle.
-And speaking of castles, try to get to Segovia, which has a magnificent one.

Have fun!

#17946 - 09/16/00 07:15 PM Re: Itinerary for Two Weeks in November
Mauceri Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Thank you all for your suggestions!! This is such a great resource!

Mauceri

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments