Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#17910 - 08/22/00 01:54 PM Salamanca...what's the verdict?
krush32 Offline

I'm thinking about doing a semester there this upcoming spring and was just curious as to what any of you thought about it. How were the prices? The nightlife? Was there alot to do? But more importantly how were the ladies? Thanks for your time and happy travels.

#17911 - 08/22/00 06:51 PM Re: Salamanca...what's the verdict?
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
How were the ladies? Fine, unless harassed by foreigners out to jump their bones. Read all about Salamanca in this forum and you will be impressed by it. Hope it can say the same about you after you go!

#17912 - 08/24/00 12:02 PM Re: Salamanca...what's the verdict?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi krush32! I just "followed your path" from where you found me; from your EuroTrip posting. I'm happy Wendy E referred you here.

I have ONLY heard excellent things about the "Studying In Salamanca" experiences. I've only visited (twice) and it definitely has that "College Town" atmosphere. They say that University of Salamanca is THE world's oldest university (or maybe just in Spain??) and that Cristobal Colón (Christopher Columbus) even went there (true?).

I believe that it also is THE MOST POPULAR place to study Spanish in all of Spain. The nightlife is great and their Plaza Mayor is argued to be Spain's most beautiful. Last year when I was there about half of it was "en obras"/being renovated.

Is there a lot to do? My impression is no. Okay, students can always find things to do, but after you visit the cathedrals (Old and New), Plaza Mayor, and a few museums you've almost done it all....(try not to do them all during your first weekend there.. hehehehe). But don't worry. I'm sure you will never lack for having something to do. And what place in the world could be BAD having all those international (and Spanish!) college-aged women everywhere??!! Come on, man! Get yourself over there NOW! hehehehe..

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#17913 - 08/24/00 02:46 PM Re: Salamanca...what's the verdict?
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
ok, ok, MM, since you took the post so SERIOUSLY, let me add that Salamanca is of course a great place to study. The other advantage is that Madrid is a quick less-than-3 hour direct bus ride, so you have plenty of excuses to spend a few nights in Madrid often!

#17914 - 10/04/00 12:20 AM Re: Salamanca...what's the verdict?
krush32 Offline

thanks for all your help madridman, but it turns out that my campus moved the program from salamanca to madrid. which is just great with me because i'd rather be in madrid and be able to visit salamanca than the other way around, but i'm sure you already knew that. by the way how is the weather in madrid around february. thanks for all your help and for having a site like this to get together and discuss madrid. peace and happy travels.

#17915 - 12/16/00 07:03 PM Re: Salamanca...what's the verdict?
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Hey Krush.
too bad your school moved the program away from salamanca, because i studied there last semester and had absolutely the best time of my life. so, for when you visit salamanca, which you absolutely have to do, check out The Irish Rover (Rua Antigua), Garamond (C/ Toro), La Posada de las almas (off C/ Toro). Sorry i am basically night-life oriented. stop by La Regenta too, it is a great little cafe with wonderful hot chocolate, located in one of the passages off the Plaza Mayor. do tapas at Rio Tormes, next to McDonalds. It is above Hostal Plaza Mayor where you might consider staying -- really nice, almost a hotel, but expensive.in madrid i definitely recommend Palacio Gaviria and Joy, both on C/ Arenal, and the food is really good but expensive at El Modelo Cansado, near the Palacio Real. Have fun!

#17916 - 12/18/00 12:16 PM Re: Salamanca...what's the verdict?
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Also - to hang out with other study abroad folks from u.s. and european countries, check out Puerto de Chus, Cum Laude (more Spaniards there), La Biblioteca.

Morgana is where the Spaniards hang out and is fun if you can take all the smoke from the Ducados (yikes!). Spaniards smoke a dark tobacco that will really make your eyes burn if you aren't used to it. I smoked like a chimney when I lived in Salamanca, but the Ducados really got to me. Nonetheless, it is worth the experience of maybe actually meeting some Spaniards

[This message has been edited by Nicole (edited 12-18-2000).]

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
galaxy, gazpacho
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1804 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments