Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#17902 - 08/18/00 03:27 PM La Coruna, Vigo, Barcelona
Sailor Offline

Loc: Hampton Roads, VA, USA
We will be visiting these cities during the Sept. The other cities on the itinerary are covered in previous posts. Thanks

#17903 - 08/18/00 06:45 PM Re: La Coruna, Vigo, Barcelona
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
La Corun~a, ah. A city I know and LOVE. Well, what do you need to know? The basics are: any bar in the whole city has fantastic seafood. Have mejillones (mussles), almejas a la marinera (clams in a tomato sauce), sardines (yes, sardines. huge, cheap, yummie). The port area is lively. There are decent hostales in the downtown area, and the hotel riazor, right on the beach, is cheap and ok. Eat churros con chocolate at Bonilla a la vista, near the calle real. Ten~o morrin~a; adora a patria galega! (that was gallego, MadridMan, in case you thought it was portuguese.) smiley face! (I'm on text-based website)

#17904 - 08/19/00 06:37 AM Re: La Coruna, Vigo, Barcelona
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Vigo is one of my favorite cities in all the world. Unfortunately, it's not in our itinerary for our September trip. Try some of the great Albarin~o wine with a mariscada at one of the restaurants at la Pedra (marketplace). You can also get a good deal on Monte Cristo Havana cigars from the lady that sells on the street right at the top of the hill as you come up from the port. You have to ask for them - she doesn't display them.

There's a good wine store very close to the Renfe station: just to your right as you come out the gate. If you go down to the next corner, hang a left and continue for about a block and you will be at a night spot called 'Dublin' - not an Irish Pub per se but it's where the Chieftains Irish folk music group (with Carlos Nun~ez on Uillean Pipes) recorded part of their 'Santiago' CD (album). Vigo is Carlos Nun~ez's hometown. When I was there last, they had free Sunday concerts at the Plaza de Compostela; but that might have been just in celebration of Santiago (July 25).

We will be in Bilbao and Santander again this trip: Wife liked the photos I brought back from my trip there in the Spring.
Don't skip Santiago de Compostela: Capital of the Xunta de Galizia.
Enjoy!!

[This message has been edited by Eddie (edited 08-19-2000).]

#17905 - 08/19/00 07:36 PM Re: La Coruna, Vigo, Barcelona
Sailor Offline

Thanks for the information! And thank you Madrid man for the great forum available to travellers.

Our complete itinerary is: Rots 9-10
Sevella, Madrid, Paris, Bonn, Berlin, in Kiel on the 16. Down the Kiel Canal to Zeebrugge. Back at sea to La Coruna, Vigo, then to Lisbon, to Cadiz, stop at Morroco, on to Ibiza, up to Barcelona and over to Genoa on the 26th. We'll be back on the train again to find an airport for the ride back home.

Thoughts

#17906 - 08/19/00 08:01 PM Re: La Coruna, Vigo, Barcelona
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
SAILOR! I just put together your screen name with your comment "Back at sea to La Coruna, Vigo, then to Lisbon..." and WOW!! You're sailing! Now THAT'S exciting!! Or is this a kind of combination vacation with air, cruise, and rail? Still, sounds like a wonderful wonderful trip. Enjoy!!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#17907 - 08/19/00 08:26 PM Re: La Coruna, Vigo, Barcelona
Sailor Offline

Yes, air to Europe, train to Kiel, sail, cruise or steam until Genoa. Once on the train out of Genoa we'll decide on any additional stops. It is very exciting to us. This will allow us to revisit some places enjoyed on past trips, say "Hey!" to old friends, meet new ones.

My wife really wants to see a bull fight. Have tried to explain the movie or entertainment version is not what the real life thing is like. We have seen the rope bull entertainment of the small towns in the azores. But there the bulls are not injured; although a couple seemed very irritated.

Thoughts

[This message has been edited by Sailor (edited 08-19-2000).]

#17908 - 08/20/00 06:47 AM Re: La Coruna, Vigo, Barcelona
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Like MadridMan I am impressed with your itinerary. Don't expect to see a bullfight in Galicia. If your stop in Cadiz is on a Sunday you may be able to see one there.

You will be bedazzled as your cruise ship comes up the ria de Vigo - at the mouth is Baiona (on your right - south side), where Columbus made landfall on his return from his first Voyage of Discovery. Unfortunately, Cruise ships usually arrive early in the AM so the sun will probably be just rising as you enter the ria de Vigo. As you dock you can see Hotel Bahia Vigo across the street from the port. Right behind that (up the hill) is la Pedra (marketplace) and the old Cathedral - Santiago de Vigo. Last year, I watched Cruise ships arrive from my terrace at Hotel Bahia Vigo - usually met by many busses taking the passengers wherever. Vigo and Lisboa have one thing in common: hills. I guess that's the case with many port cities.
I'll edit this post if I can think of anything else significant.

#17909 - 08/20/00 08:44 AM Re: La Coruna, Vigo, Barcelona
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Tell your wife to skip the bullfight. Most of them are tristes espectaculos (sad spectacles) for tourists. Instead, find an authentic flamenco show! Or go to a futbol match (soccer) for some real Spanish ambiente! I am so jealous you'll be cruising in my favorite rias. Galicia seen from the sea is paradise!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments