Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#17729 - 06/08/00 10:34 PM Best places to see in the south
PatM Offline

Loc: Maryland
In October, 2 of us (over 50) are driving from Madrid to Granada, Ronda, Arcos de Frontera, and Sevilla before heading back (via Toledo). Has anyone seen the prehistoric caves near Ronda or the dancing horses in Jerez? We like seeing a variety of things, so recommendations are welcome. Thanks.

#17730 - 06/09/00 05:44 AM Re: Best places to see in the south
davej Offline

Loc: Nerja, Málaga, Spain
There are so many things to see and do down here in Andalucia!
Ronda has the oldest bullring in Spain, and of course, the spectacular gorge. The Parador at Ronda is right on the edge of the gorge - very dramatic!!
If you want to see the horses at Jerez, you MUST book in advance. The show is only given once a week (Thursday at noon, I think) although you can visit the training sessions on other days. (Tel: +34-956-31-11-11). There's also an interesting antique clock museum in Jerez, and of course, you should visit a bodega (or 2, or 3...) and test the sherry.
You'll be visiting The Alhambra in Granada, of course, but again, book in advance. If you're only there for a day, you'd be so disappointed not to get in.
More info on other things to see in Andalucia on my site www.davidsholidays.com but these may help!

#17731 - 06/09/00 08:36 PM Re: Best places to see in the south
PatM Offline

davej --

Thanks for all the info; appreciate it.

We really need to book in advance just to see The Alhambra? In October? Guess that's something to note to do as soon as we get into Granada.

#17732 - 06/09/00 08:36 PM Re: Best places to see in the south
kgordon48 Offline

Loc: Albuquerque, NM usa
What are the Dancing Horses of Jerez and are they worth the trip from Marbella?

ken in albuquerque

#17733 - 06/11/00 04:41 AM Re: Best places to see in the south
davej Offline

Yes, The Alhambra is packed every day of the year - it's the 2nd most popular tourist site in Spain after The Prado. You might be lucky and get in by just turning up, but because they have a limited number of tickets per day (to keep the wear and tear down), once they have sold out, there is no way in! Tickets have a window of entrance (e.g. 1200 - 1230) which is when you should go in obviously, in order to spread the crowd even across the day. But once you're in, you're in and can stay as long as you want. You can buy tickets in advance at The Alhambra itself but the queues can be horrendous (1 to 2 hours is not unusual). Buying in advance is quicker at any branch of the BBV Bank (Banco Bilbao Vizcaya) who, I believe, are have the sole concession for advance sales outside The Alhambra itself. (Can anyone confirm this??) You'll pay a small extra amount, but it's worth it for the lack of hassle!

dave

#17734 - 06/11/00 11:33 AM Re: Best places to see in the south
Sofia Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
If you stay in Sevilla for a night and want to go out for a evening of drink and entertainment, I recommend two places:

1) "Casa Anselma" in the Triana neighborhood. Bull fighters go there. The crowd sings and dances. If you stay real late, the bar lights go off and a religious shrine is lit, and the crowd stands and sings to the Virgin Mary. It made me cry it was so beautiful. The lady owner, who must be Anselma, greets you at the door and seats you in a semi circle, with the guitar players up front facing the crowd.

2) "Bar Peregil" in Plaza Padre Jeronimo de Cordoba is run by a flamenco singer. He sings as he works. The crowd sings too, and they are good, real good. Peregil sells his cassette tapes at the bar. He is a charming man, and they at the bar are very kind to foreigners who fill the bar. (Hotel Don Paco is next door, and the hotel guests from around the world fill Bar Peregil. It is a different ethnic mix every night.)

#17735 - 06/11/00 07:42 PM Re: Best places to see in the south
PatM Offline

davej -- are there BBV all over Spain -- i.e., can we buy tickets in Madrid as well as Granada?

Sofia -- sounds great -- are the bars smoke-filled? I can't be around smokers for long.

Thank you both for the input.

#17736 - 06/11/00 08:33 PM Re: Best places to see in the south
Sofia Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
Yes, the bars are a smoking! The door(s)are opened and air circulates.

Another good time in Sevilla is a cruise of the Guadalquivir River. You catch the tour boat behind the Tower of Gold. For about $10 american, you see paradise for an hour.

#17737 - 06/11/00 09:03 PM Re: Best places to see in the south
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I agree, Sofía. The bars ARE smokey, but I never noticed that it was thick. Maybe because the Spanish are big on FRESH air and not on processed, air conditioned air so they often have windows/doors open. AND, in the big cities, the insects are rarely a problem.

Also, with the HIGH ceilings that these old bars/pubs/restaurants have you don't have the stagnant smoke that you might see in newer structures that use air conditioning.

FINALLY, and we haven't mentioned this yet, in the summer, because of the horrendous heat that Sevilla and Andalucia has, MOST EVERYONE is looking for someplace OUTSIDE to sit and eat/drink/smoke so the smoke is rarely a factor.

Saludos, MadridMan
-------------------
Enjoy books/music/videos/movies from & about Spain? Visit MadridMan's ALL Spain Market @ http://www.MadridMan.com/allspainmarket.html

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#17738 - 06/12/00 11:41 AM Re: Best places to see in the south
davej Offline

Yes, the BBV is a national chain. I am pretty sure that you will be able to buy in Madrid, but perhaps someone can confirm.
For info, I went into my local BBV here in Nerja to get tickets for some friends this morning (Monday) at 10 am, and the first available time was Wednesday at 1.30pm.
And it's not even August yet!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments