Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#17108 - 03/14/07 11:38 AM Re: Madrid: Monthly "Bono" for Metro/Bus?
nevado Offline

keeper, you are right!!! smile abono!!!! but, it wasn't capitalized...so, what does it mean now??? wink

#17109 - 03/14/07 12:24 PM Re: Madrid: Monthly "Bono" for Metro/Bus?
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
I think you've hit the nail, MadridMan:
Quote:
Maybe it's different depending on the tobacco shop? Maybe some have the lamenating equipment and some don't?? Maybe that's why some people have to return to pick up the initial bono pass card??

#17110 - 03/17/07 07:14 AM Re: Madrid: Monthly "Bono" for Metro/Bus?
janel Offline

Well, sorry to let you down, its a great theory but the thing is there is no laminating equipment involved. The abono actually comes with this clear sticker attached, they just peel it off and stick it over the photo, so everyone has that.. HMM! now we have to figure out why someone would have to come back later!

#17111 - 03/17/07 12:46 PM Re: Madrid: Monthly "Bono" for Metro/Bus?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Oh gawd. rolleyes And I've already told that other person "the way it is". ARGH... eek My only saving grace was that I said that "A friend called and got this information for me..." Whew!

Thanks for the clarification, janel! thumbsup

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#17112 - 03/17/07 02:42 PM Re: Madrid: Monthly "Bono" for Metro/Bus?
Anonymous
Unregistered

So,I suppose this "Bono" pass can also be referred to as the "U2" pass,correct? laugh The dodgy irishman seems to be one very cool guy though. cool

Speaking of the irish,today is St Patrick's day.I'm not irish but like everyone else I love the color green hehehe...

Happy St Patrick's everyone! smile

#17113 - 03/24/07 04:55 PM Re: Madrid: Monthly "Bono" for Metro/Bus?
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Buying the montly passes wasn't the problem, it was figuring out how to buy the renewal ticket. turns out for passes that are good for Renfe and Metro you have to buy them from a metro machine not Renfe.

Also it takes all of 5 mins to buy one from a taback shop, simply take in a photo and they do the rest. The only id required is passport or something to show that you say who you are

#17114 - 05/03/07 06:14 AM Re: Madrid: Monthly "Bono" for Metro/Bus?
Torrales Offline

I asked my tobacconist how it works (immediate issue of the "bono" or a few days delay) and I have got the answer:
- If the "bono" is a regular one, then it is issued immediately.
- But if it is a "young" (under-21) or "elder" (over-65), as it implies a discount, a proof of identity and age is required (a photocopy of the passport or DNI or NIE) and sent to the Transport Authorities to be validated along with the registration form. Thus, the delay.

#17115 - 05/06/07 07:54 AM Re: Madrid: Monthly "Bono" for Metro/Bus?
epaulino4 Offline

Loc: USA
Hello Torrales

Thanks for all your help. You are quite a contributor to this board!

I usually buy the 10 tickets pass but this time we will be going to Toledo and El Escorial. Should we buy the on day T pass for these trips? Will it be advantageous?

Thanks again!

#17116 - 05/07/07 05:53 AM Re: Madrid: Monthly "Bono" for Metro/Bus?
Torrales Offline

Hi, epaulino4. I am very glad to help.

The so called "Abono Turistico" or "Tourist Travel Pass" is a very good option. Its validity can be for 1, 2, 3, 5, or 7 days. And there are two different ones depending on the area it covers: zone A(=within Madrid city), and zone T(=within Madrid province, plus Toledo and Guadalajara).

The 2007 fares for the 1-day passes are 3.80 EUR (zone A) and 7.60 (zone T), and for the 2-days, 6.80 and 13.60. Let's do a few calculations:
You intend to go to El Escorial and Toledo, so you can do it in consecutive days to get the advantage of some discount buying the 2-days pass rather than two 1-days. So, you are spending 13.60 EUR. Let's add the equivalent single tickets to go to both places:

1 Metro ticket to go from your hotel to Atocha, 1 EUR + 1 Cercanias ticket to El Escorial, 2.75 EUR = 3.75 EUR (x2 to return=7.50 EUR)

1 Metro ticket to Mendez Alvaro, 1 EUR + 1 bus ticket to Toledo, 4.40 EUR = 5.40 EUR (x2 to return=10.80EUR).

7.50+10.80 = 18.30 EUR. You save 18.30-13.60 = 4.70 EUR by buying the 2-days Tourist Pass. And you can use it to do any other Metro or bus or Cercanias trips inside Madrid you could need during those two days.

All the official information about these passes can be found at the Madrid Transportation Information System . Due to the way that website is built, I cannot post the direct link to the English Tourist Travel Pass webpage, but it is pretty easy to reach it. Once in the homepage (see link above), click on "English" at the top of the page. Then, you will see the English version of the homepage and you will have to click on the "Tourist Travel Pass" at the center bottom.

Apart of the information there, just three things I think that need to be pointed out:
1. The zone T Pass allows the user to travel within Madrid city, Madrid province, even Toledo and Guadalajara, but in the two latter cases the regional and high-speed RENFE trains cannot be used, just Cercanias or bus in Gudalajara's case and only bus in Toledo's.
2. The Madrid Vision buses are not included in the list of buses allowed, as they are a special service.
3. Thank Lord, our prayers were listened and, since a couple weeks ago, the Tourist Passes can be purchased at any automatic vending machine in the Madrid Metro network. So there is no longer need to go to a ticket booth, or to specific stations.

#17117 - 05/07/07 11:33 AM Re: Madrid: Monthly "Bono" for Metro/Bus?
epaulino4 Offline

Loc: USA
Thanks Torrales!

You went above and beyond doing the analisys and all the work.

One last question is the Tourist Pass available for purchase at airport? T4? Is the Metro ride from the airport included in this pass?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1900 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments