Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#16774 - 07/04/06 05:52 PM Rental cars?
wesrick Offline

Loc: Wichita, KS
I've never driven internationally before (always knew someone who would drive me or just took the metro). Anyway, I was wondering what a good place would be to get car rates for traveling to and from some cities in Spain. I'd like to go at my own pace instead of a taking a big tour bus somewhere.

Thanks for any help.
-Rick

#16775 - 07/04/06 05:56 PM Re: Rental cars?
CascadaDuSel Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL (sometimes Madrid - ...
I always rent from carjet while in Spain - cheapest rates around - I have used them many times and never had a problem or complaint

#16776 - 07/04/06 07:34 PM Re: Rental cars?
ned Offline

Loc: USA
...wesrick...on a recent visit i used Crown Car Hire ( www.crowncarhire.com ) and found them quite satisfactory... i have a feeling that they may only have offices in Andalucia though.

#16777 - 07/05/06 12:15 AM Re: Rental cars?
wesrick Offline

and what do y'all do for insurance with them? Do they offer reasonable insurance?

Additionally do you need to get an international license before you go? How do I go about getting it?

Thanks again!
-Rick

Wichita, KS

#16778 - 07/05/06 07:30 AM Re: Rental cars?
CascadaDuSel Offline

I have never purchased extra insurance - just what is covered by my insurance and their normal insurance

#16779 - 07/05/06 08:57 PM Re: Rental cars?
wesrick Offline

I wasn't sure if insurance was included with the car rental, or if you just rely on your own insurance (from your car at home).

And again, does anyone have any info on an international drivers license or certificate so I can drive while I'm there?

#16780 - 07/05/06 10:09 PM Re: Rental cars?
ned Offline

Loc: USA
..wesrick..Insurance. Check with your local insurance company to make sure if you would be covered in Spain. I was covered by mine.

Drivers licence. I got an international license issued by AAA (you don't have to be a member) befor my trip but found that the rental company only wanted details from my regular license.

Maps. I found Michelin to be very good and they can be found in good bookstores in the US. They also have a useful web site. www.viamichelin.com

#16781 - 07/06/06 07:46 PM Re: Rental cars?
CascadaDuSel Offline

I also have international drivers licens - NOBODY has ever needed it for anything - save the ten bucks and dont bother getting it - no rental companies have ever used it always ask for official one

#16782 - 07/07/06 03:42 AM Re: Rental cars?
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I agree, the only time I ever got pulled I gave them my international DL and they gave it right back. Often they won't even ask for your regular DL, just make you pay an on the spot fine.

#16783 - 07/07/06 05:49 AM Re: Rental cars?
CascadaDuSel Offline

"just make you pay an on the spot fine"

That happened to me last month - for driving through a tunnel without my headlights on. I didnt know that was a law! - the policeman wanted me to pay a fine in CASH on the spot. That sounded a little fishy to me and I refused - he told me I couldnt drive away and he would have to take my car. I eventually paid after trying yellling and then tears but it didnt work. I later asked my spanish friends and they said that was normal - I wondered why he wouldnt just put it in his pocket !!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2709 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments