Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#16462 - 02/18/06 10:22 AM car rental help and need for reservations for ave
ellies spirit Offline

Loc: minnesota
We are putting the final finnishes on our trip and wondering for the dates of march 9 is it very busy that we sould have to make reservations for the ave from Madrid to Seville before we go? Also your suggestions on car rental companies in Seville for pick up and drop off in Granada or Cordoba - renting for march 9-13 and should we make the reservations in the states before we go or can we do it there. We have heard it is less expensive to do it before you get there - Is that true?? If we are 4 people with luggage which car is best - they all look so tiny on the websites!
Thank you!!

#16463 - 02/18/06 01:40 PM Re: car rental help and need for reservations for ave
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
First of all, I urge you to pack lightly--Rick Steve's website has good packing lists. You'll have lots more fun if you don't have a lot of luggage to lug around. No one cares if you wear the same clothes over and over again. So, now, you'll fit into something like a Citroen C-3 (a really fun car to drive), or, at most, if you really have to splurge, a Ford Focus wagon or similar. After much research, we've always found Hertz to be cheapest, booked through the AAA auto club. On the car rental websites, they have suitcase icons that will show you how many, what size suitcases will fit it each car. But you can go to the AAA office, and they'll do the whole thing for you. A Red Michelin guide will come in very handy, because they have maps for each city, which will give you a clue as to how to get into the city and find your hotel. Also, if you decide to go off your plan (really, at this time of year, you could do the whole trip without reservations), you'll have lots of hotels to choose from, that you could call in advance, as you near the next destination. I urge you to have a cell phone. And walkie talkies for everyone.

#16464 - 02/18/06 03:36 PM Re: car rental help and need for reservations for ave
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
How did you find finding your way around, outside of the touristy areas very few Spanish speak English,I've been thinking of renting a car but concerned about asking for directions.

I was in Bacarcalona a year or so ago with a car and navagation system and even then I had hard time getting around, mostly due to the inability to find the street names in the system. I finally asked at a TI.

#16465 - 02/18/06 06:13 PM Re: car rental help and need for reservations for ave
ellies spirit Offline

thanks Aidance - I had been looking at rental places like pepecar but will try prices on Hertz through AAA instead. Walkie talkies are an excellent idea.

#16466 - 02/19/06 11:08 AM Re: car rental help and need for reservations for ave
edel Offline

Loc: Almeria/Dublin
we have just started using a new website for car hire which is the cheapest which we have found in a long time and have picked up a car this weekend in madrid T4, to go to salamanca and back. http://www.10euros-car-rental.com/ is the site. They can allow pick ups in different location and drop offs but i would check first to confirm

#16467 - 02/19/06 11:29 AM Re: car rental help and need for reservations for ave
ellies spirit Offline

thank you Edel. Did you look at pepecar? They are very reasonable also. much less than all others we found but I worry because they are not a hertz or alamo ect.

#16468 - 02/19/06 11:37 AM Re: car rental help and need for reservations for ave
ellies spirit Offline

Wow, edel I just looked them up they are in line with pepecar prices also. How did your rental go, any hidden fees or issues??I wonder which one is better?? I did not see though how you could return to different location. Is that done when you rent??

#16469 - 02/19/06 03:23 PM Re: car rental help and need for reservations for ave
edel Offline

i have not looked at pepecar yet but will do, we had no problems picking up the car or any issues. They are a consolidator which means that you are actually booking with some of the main carhire companies in spain but just via somebody else. In the FAQ of the site (this is located at the bottom of the site on the homepage) it says that it depends on which company you use but it is possible to do pick up and drop off somewhere else but I have never done this myself. We have used a company called car jet for a while and have found that if you ring one of the main companies such as sol or europa and tell them that you can get it via a website cheaper than they are quoting they will often match the price! We tend not to use hertz or alamo as we find that they are very expenisve in spain and the uk which is usually where we are renting cars. If there is four people with luagge i would say rent a ford foucs estate or some thing smiliar. If you decide to go with my recommendation will you post ans tell me how the different drop offs go!!

#16470 - 02/19/06 03:27 PM Re: car rental help and need for reservations for ave
edel Offline

Quote:
May I collect and return the car to any office?
Yes, providing the collect/return selector allows you to do so. If the selector does not give you the option then it is not permitted.
this is what there websites says, also if you want you could email them at info@booking-centre-online.com and see what they say

good luck

#16471 - 02/19/06 04:48 PM Re: car rental help and need for reservations for ave
ellies spirit Offline

Thanks Edel! We are going March 9 so I will let you know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2673 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments