Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#16384 - 01/25/06 05:18 AM Madrid Barajas Airport - New Terminal (T4) opening
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
On Sunday, February 5th 2006, the new Barajas terminal T4 (and its satellite T4S) will start to operate. It is a brand big new terminal (more than a kilometre long) that is located separated and far North of the current three terminals (T1, T2 and T3). The building was designed and built by Richard Rogers and Antonio Lamela.

The companies that will operate from that terminal are, mainly, Iberia and all their partners in the OneWorld alliance (American Airlines, British Airways, FinnAir,...). These companies will move all their operations there effective 5 Feb. Additionally, some other non affilliated airlines will move there too, like Vueling, Air Nostrum, Aeroflot, SN Brussels,...

As this terminal is much far from Madrid downtown than the other three, be aware that you should expect longer transfer times from and to there. Moreover, the public transportation options are, right now, more limited than those to the current terminals.

Public transportation means to/from T4:
- Taxi (of course)
- New EMT bus line 204, from Avenida de America to T4 (express)
- New bus line for Metro ticket holders that will connect the Airport Metro station (located between T2 and T3) to T4. (For free, AFAIK).
- There will NOT be Metro connection to T4 by now. The opening of the line 8 extension is expected at the end of 2007.
- There will NOT be Cercanias connection to T4 by now. The opening of a new line Chamartin-T4 is expected by 2008.

Public transportation means between terminals:
- There will be free Airport shuttle buses that will connect T1, T2, T3 and T4.

As a reminder, these are the public transportation options available for T1, T2 and T3:
- EMT bus line 101 from Canillejas
- EMT bus line 200 from Avenida de America
- Interurban bus line 822 from Coslada
- Metro line 8 (station Aeropuerto)

Hope this helps.

#16385 - 01/26/06 08:11 AM Re: Madrid Barajas Airport - New Terminal (T4) opening
Torrales Offline

The summary is what I have explained above, but this is the Official Barajas Webpage that explains all the movement. Dual version English/Spanish.

#16386 - 01/26/06 02:20 PM Re: Madrid Barajas Airport - New Terminal (T4) opening
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Scotland
Thanks Torrales - this is useful information.

#16387 - 01/27/06 05:10 AM Re: Madrid Barajas Airport - New Terminal (T4) opening
Torrales Offline

You're welcome.

Apart of the above, I don't think many people use them, but...

Effective Feb 5, the Iberia check-in counters located in both Nuevos Ministerios Metro station and IFEMA (Madrid Fairgrounds) will no longer operate.

#16388 - 01/28/06 02:57 PM Re: Madrid Barajas Airport - New Terminal (T4) opening
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Here is some additional information taken from the British Airways website:
Useful Madrid Terminal 4 Information.

Madrid Terminal 4 has the following configuration scheme:

The Main building is called T4.
The Satellite building is called T4S.

Check in for every flight departing from T4 and T4S, will be done at T4.
Passengers moving between T4 and T4S will do so by an automatic train service.
Train journey times between T4 & T4S will be 3 minutes.
Frequency of trains between T4 & T4S is every 3 minutes.
The baggage claim area for all flights arriving to T4 & T4S will be in T4.
T4 will accommodate domestic and European Schengen destinations.
T4S will accommodate European non-Schengen destinations, other international destinations, as well as some domestic and Schengen flights.
Please note: British Airways share the Iberia lounges at Mardrid Airport. British Airways Executive Club lounge access at Madrid Airport is available in both Terminal 4 and the Satelite building (T4S) in the Iberia lounges.

#16389 - 01/28/06 10:33 PM Re: Madrid Barajas Airport - New Terminal (T4) opening
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
Will Delta and Continental continue to operate out of the old terminal?

Do you know if Renfe plans on opening an office in T4 - it is so convenient to pick up train tickets at the airport.

#16390 - 01/29/06 06:27 AM Re: Madrid Barajas Airport - New Terminal (T4) opening
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Hi CathyM
You can find more information at Aena
This opens in a pop-up window, so you might need to unblock the pop-up blocker in your browser program.
RR

#16391 - 01/30/06 05:59 AM Re: Madrid Barajas Airport - New Terminal (T4) opening
Torrales Offline

Quote:
Will Delta and Continental continue to operate out of the old terminal?
Right now, yes, they will operate out of T1 as usual. But in a near future both airlines are expected to move to T2-T3.

Quote:
Do you know if Renfe plans on opening an office in T4?
I don't know. Considering that there will be a Zara, a Mango, a spa, and many other businesses in T4, it seems to be logical the existence of a Renfe ticket office. But I cannot honestly confirm it. As soon as I go to T4 (not later than beginning of March), I'll ask and see there, and I promise to post the result of the query here.

#16392 - 02/05/06 05:19 PM Re: Madrid Barajas Airport - New Terminal (T4) opening
epaulino4 Offline

Loc: USA
Hello

I just landed in Miami from Madrid via AA which departed Madrid at 11:15am from T4. I took the Metro to the airport and then Aena bus outside Terminal 2 to T4. I could have continued to Barajas and then take 201 or 204.

Make sure you allow some 20 minutes from T-2 to
T-4, it is like another airport! Once there, you will go through the Guardia Civil checking point, go down some electric stairs, take a train to the Passport Control area and finally to the duty free area and your terminal S,U etc. You need to make time, it is big, modern and gorgeous, state of the art terminal.

I expected more chaos. To my surprise, much better than expected. They will have green uniformed Aena reps starting at Metro exit and all over the airport helping travelers. Of course, on the first day, they are also learning the airport and scratched theirs heads a few times before directing you, but they were friendly and helpful.

I only had one hour to walk around the shops, spa and Iberia VIP lounge. All I can say is that I am very impressed with everything I saw.

It tood me by total surprise. I wish I have read this forum and informed myself better, instead I had to figure it out. Learned my lesson MM!

Thanks to all for the information above. I will read it and map out my strategy better for next trip.

#16393 - 02/06/06 11:00 AM Re: Madrid Barajas Airport - New Terminal (T4) opening
gregorio Offline

Loc: seattle
I was on the first Intl flight out of T4 onSunday to London. There was a little confusion as to be expected, but it is huge, make sure to give yourself ample time to get to your gate, as it is a maze of escalators and trams.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2728 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments