Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#16365 - 01/19/06 09:59 AM suggestions for best route and transport
ellies spirit Offline

Loc: minnesota
Hi, We are a family of 4 wanting to travel in March from Madrid to toledo, Seville and surrounding area, and Granada then back to Madrid to fly out. Can you help us with best way to travel - car, bus or train with such a short stay and wanting to see as much as possible.
Thank you,
Ellie's spirit, Minnesota

#16366 - 01/19/06 01:46 PM Re: suggestions for best route and transport
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
If I was you I would end my trip in Madrid instead of starting it. Your last leg of your trip, Granada to Madrid is a five - six hour trip by bus or train. I do not know how long if you had a car because I never did it.

You can start your trip in Sevilla. If you are fying into Madrid from the US, you can either fly since you are already at the airport or take the AVE train to Sevilla. Then a bus to Granada from Sevilla and end your trip in Madrid and fly home. I recommend not to take the bus from Granada to Madrid, I did it and it was the worst bus trip I ever had. So take the train if you do not want to drive.

Since it is a short stay, Toledo is an excellent day trip from Madrid. Very easy to get to by bus.

March is just around the corner. thumbsup

Added

I just saw your other message, you only have a week. Skipped Granada and Sevilla. Spend the week in Madrid and do day trips. You can visit Sevilla, AVE is like three hours but do you really want to spend six hours on a train for such a stay in Spain.

Bill

#16367 - 01/19/06 01:49 PM Re: suggestions for best route and transport
nevado Offline

It depends if you want to save money, have extreme flexibility, or like to take the train and bus. A car would be flexible but you really don't want to drive in Madrid and just park in Sevilla and Granada (no need for a car). It can be frustrating if you don't know Spanish or if you haven't driven in Spain but the benefits are that you have a chance to stop along the way, see interesting things, leave when you want, etc. The train (AVE) from Madrid to Sevilla is short and sweet but not cheap. You could get a bus to Granada from Sevilla and back to Madrid no problem. I don't know if you have time for Toledo unless you drive. I think Madrid is worth more time and you'll also be going to Granada and Sevilla. My two cents- if you get a car and you must see Madrid first, get the car on the way out (or leave from the airport to Toledo and dump the car in Madrid on the way back).

#16368 - 01/19/06 09:07 PM Re: suggestions for best route and transport
ellies spirit Offline

thank you for your thoughts Bill and Nevado. It helps to hear from others who have experience. So much to see, so little time and we want to make the most of it for the kids.

#16369 - 01/19/06 10:17 PM Re: suggestions for best route and transport
Gretchen6 Offline

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Ellies Spirit

Hello....this past Spring I drove a car from Madrid to Granada. It was a very easy trip going there but I had a terrible time returning. All signs lead to the Alhambra but it was a nightmare to get out of the city back to Madrid. I have travelled to Toledo from Madrid by car, train, and bus on different occasions. My favorite is the bus...very cheap and fast. A brisk walk up a hill places you at the entrance of this enchanted ancient city. (or a short taxi ride can also get you up the hill) As far as Segovia, I found driving from Madrid to be very easy. Although, I still prefer train or bus. I also found it easy to drive to the Northern parts of Spain such as Asturias. I don't know how comfortable you are driving in Foreign Countries. To be perfectly honest, it has always stressed me out....the speed, narrow streets, and those damn round abouts smile Once in Madrid I drove 3 times around a round about before catching my exit! But that is me....you may be great driving in all these conditions. Good luck and hope you all have a wonderful trip.

#16370 - 01/19/06 10:57 PM Re: suggestions for best route and transport
ellies spirit Offline

Hi Gretchen - where in Wisconsin?? I used to live in Manitowoc, north of Green Bay and my daughter lives in La Crosse. Thanks for sharing your driving story - we have one just like that in Italy! Sounds like doing the bus or train might be best.

#16371 - 01/20/06 08:32 PM Re: suggestions for best route and transport
Gretchen6 Offline

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Ellies Spirit

I currently reside in the huge Metropolis of Oak Creek, Wisconsin. (15 minutes South of Milwaukee). No matter how shameful...."Go Packers go" smile I know you will have a fabulous time in Spain. Tell us some of your adventures.
Cheers.

#16372 - 01/20/06 08:44 PM Re: suggestions for best route and transport
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
You don't have a lot of time, and you didn't mention the ages of your kids. Trains are really fun for kids because they can get up and move around, walk through to the other cars (holding their breath in the smoking cars). So, three days in Madrid, one day trip by train or bus to Toledo, AVE train to Seville for 2 days, then back to Madrid, sounds reasonable and fun. If you can fit in a day trip to Segovia on that last day, that's great, the kids will love the castle. But I definitely wouldn't drive around, because it's not cost effective unless you rent for a week, and you don't want a car in Madrid or in Seville. See Granada another time. Remember, everyone will be jet-lagged, and though you might want to power through it (I always do) your kids won't. It's not fun to drag a sleepy kid through museums.....
On another note, bring walkie talkies, one per person if your kids are over 7. We never travel without them. That way, you can easily find each other if you become separated (and if you're still in the store trying on yet another pair of Camper shoes, your husband can move on with the kids to someplace else. Don't leave Spain without new shoes!).

#16373 - 01/20/06 10:17 PM Re: suggestions for best route and transport
ellies spirit Offline

Hi Aidance, thanks for your thoughts about the schedule - it's hard to think we might miss anything when we think of this trip as a once in a life time event - but your right. Doing too much will ruin it too. I like your idea about the walkie talkies. Excellent!

#16374 - 01/21/06 04:16 AM Re: suggestions for best route and transport
nevado Offline

I think Granada should be top on your list; I'd skip Sevilla before Granada but I think you can do your plan. You have 8 nights, right? If you're pressed for time I'd limit Sevilla to one night (2 if you have them). Granada is a jewel and 2 nights are needed (one full day for the Alhambra). The rest you can spend in Madrid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2051 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments