Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#16356 - 01/14/06 11:35 PM Ranking the airlines...
Rubia Offline

We just returned from Spain and had a surprisingly pleasant trip on airlines that we had not flown before. We used to always fly Iberia, but their prices seem to be higher lately so we have resorted to other options. Since all of us travel, I thought it would be helpful to rank our experiences on various airlines. I will start with my experiences, although I have only flown trans-atlantic on Iberia, KLM, Air France and American.
Comfort:
1) Air France - this airline is clearly a step above the rest, as their economy seats are surprisingly comfortable with extra leg room, footrests, and comfortable seats.
2) KLM
3) American - only slightly better than Iberia
4) Iberia

Food:
1) KLM - great meals, awesome snacks including ice cream and candy bars.
2) American
3) Iberia (tie)
3) Air France (tie)- nothing horrible, just not the best

Service:
1) KLM - very helpful and friendly. They moved about 11 people around in our flight so everyone could sit with the people they came with and were extremely helpful when my food did not stay down during our 45 minute ride through a thunderstorm:)
2) American
3) Air France - Not extremely friendly, but not rude like Iberia
4) Iberia

In-flight entertainment (of course depends on the plane):
1) Air France - individual TVs that you can choose any movie you want and start it at anytime. Also has games (we spent 4 hours playing Who Wants to be a Millionaire)
2) American
3) KLM
4) Iberia

Of course these are all just personal preference. Even though it may seem like I have something against Iberia, I really don't. In fact I used be very committed to them until we flew other airlines and realized that Iberia is actually not very good. Obviously everyone has their own experiences, but I just thought I would share mine. In the end, I would definitely pay an extra $50-$100 to fly Air France or KLM because they were two of the most enjoyable flights I have had (and we travel to Spain quite often).

#16357 - 01/16/06 03:16 PM Re: Ranking the airlines...
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
Has anyone had personal exp with British Airways? We are taking a flight from Phoenix to London in April and are wanting input on them.

#16358 - 01/16/06 03:51 PM Re: Ranking the airlines...
gregorio Offline

Loc: seattle
I will let you know next week, we are taking them from Seattle/London and onto Madrid. I have heard their service is a notch above Iberia, but as long as the flights are on time, it really doesn't matter to me.

#16359 - 01/16/06 05:01 PM Re: Ranking the airlines...
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I (and the rest of my family) fly on British Airways almost exclusively. We are real fans. I'd rather fly with them via London to Madrid than go direct with another airline. I find their customer service to be exceptional.

#16360 - 01/16/06 06:16 PM Re: Ranking the airlines...
jmvaco Offline

Loc: arizona
I take British Airways From Phoenix to London/Madrid every year. While their sevice has changed over time it still very satisfactory.You will arrive in Madrid about 10;30 PM ,so you should make arrangements to get to your hotel.Aerocity is good if there is a group. I usually make one those London + Madrid trips and stay in London for a few days.Then I can arrive in Madrid at time of my choosing.Plus you can see a little of London.The return trip will get you back in Phoenix 3-5 PM

#16361 - 01/16/06 06:33 PM Re: Ranking the airlines...
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
We have flown BA several times from L.A. or S.d. to London/Madrid, and we agree, their service is great. They were also the best for flying with an infant or toddler, very accomodating with a bassinet or swaddle chair. The only down fall is that usually the connecting flight from London to Madrid and back is with Iberia.

#16362 - 01/16/06 10:00 PM Re: Ranking the airlines...
carlos11 Offline

Loc: Florida,USA
Took BA out of Tampa last September and connected with GB airways out of Gatwick to Seville.Both flights were excellent. Enjoy!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments