Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#15961 - 08/01/05 11:59 PM AVE vs. RENFE?
jrdelar Offline

I'm going to Spain in approximately 5 days smile

We are traveling from Barcelona - Madrid then Madrid - Lisbon. Instead of taking the bus, we want to go by train. I know there are some trains that are slower than the busses and stop frequently.

I know there are the super fast trains but I dont know much about them. Anybody taken them before? How were they? What are the prices like?

#15962 - 08/02/05 02:44 AM Re: AVE vs. RENFE?
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Why don't you take the plane between Madrid and Barcelona? It is cheaper and a lot faster than the train (specially, compared to the high speed train).

Check out Viajar.com . It's very easy to find the best offer there. Remember there are several taxes / additional charges. The cheapest fare should be around €40 one way with everything included.

#15963 - 08/02/05 05:16 AM Re: AVE vs. RENFE?
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
First of all, let me say that the title of the thread is not too meaningful. RENFE is the company that operates the train services in Spain (the only one until 2010), and AVE is one of its products, the high-speed service in a specific train. It's like saying in the States "Acela Express vs. Amtrak".

To check out fares and schedules, you can take a glance at the Official RENFE Website (click on the small Union Jack in the middle of the page to reach the English version)

To compare to the bus service, the company that offers this route is Alsa and this is their Website (English version directly)

#15964 - 08/02/05 06:35 AM Re: AVE vs. RENFE?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Quote:
We are traveling from Barcelona - Madrid then Madrid - Lisbon. Instead of taking the bus, we want to go by train. I know there are some trains that are slower than the busses and stop frequently.

I know there are the super fast trains but I dont know much about them. Anybody taken them before? How were they? What are the prices like?
As Torrales explained: AVE is a service offered by RENFE (Red Nacional de Ferrocariles Espanoles) on the Madrid-Sevilla route. I personally have taken AVE on that route several times; but with deregulation and proliferation of low cost airlines like Vueling, AVE is comparitively expensive (i.e., flying can be cheaper in addition to less time-consuming).

You can check rail schedules & prices at http://www.Renfe.es

I have taken the todo preferente overnight Talgo Barcelona-Sevilla: On the Madrid-Sevilla 'leg' it took less than 3-hours. The Luisitania Expres between Madrid & Lisbon is also an overnighter.

#15965 - 08/02/05 11:37 PM Re: AVE vs. RENFE?
jrdelar Offline

Sorry, I thought AVE was different than RENFE. Thanks for the help, I'll look into the options.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2647 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments