Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#15935 - 07/15/05 09:59 AM Bus Transportation Madrid to Barajas
epaulino4 Offline

Loc: USA
Just back from Madrid this week!

I tried getting on the bus at Puerta del Sol to Nuevos Ministerios as I have done many other times before.

This time two bus drivers refused to take me because I had "a paquete" (a rollway). One was very rude and close the door in my face.

Just passing on this information since it was a concern after the Plaza Colon airport bus went away. At this point, the options seem to be the train or taxi for what I see.

Any other thoughts?

#15936 - 07/15/05 10:21 AM Re: Bus Transportation Madrid to Barajas
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Yes! I have some thoughts!
Quote:
This time two bus drivers refused to take me because I had "a paquete" (a rollway). One was very rude and close the door in my face.
I wonder if that's a new policy on public city buses because I know I've OFTEN seen older women (and some younger ones) taking on their upright, 2-wheeled grocery transport carts on the bus but I haven't seen them in awhile. Were these 2 buses somewhat full? If so, maybe that's the reason why they denied you entry with the rollway. Not sure.

Hopefully you otherwise had a pleasant visit to Madrid and Spain. smile

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#15937 - 07/17/05 06:34 AM Re: Bus Transportation Madrid to Barajas
eduardo Offline

Loc: Madrid
The best public transport to the airport remains the Metro, Line 8 from Nuevos Ministerios to the airport. I think I read something about them doing some work between Mar de Cristal and Colombia station, but will only interrupt the service in the post-midnight hours, with shuttle buses between the two stations even then. There is a bus line that goes from the Avenida de America Metro station/bus depot to the airport. I think the only advantage to this service is that in theory it starts earlier in the morning than the Metro, which does not open until 6:00 a.m. I say, "in theory," because I once waited in the pre-dawn hours for the first airport bus which never came, and I wound up taking a taxi anyway.

#15938 - 07/17/05 09:42 AM Re: Bus Transportation Madrid to Barajas
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
I have seen 'rollaways' that are huge. I doubt that they would deny you boarding if you just had what we call a 'wheeled carry-on (about 24").'

If I am going to Barajas pueblo I usually take an M-15 bus from Canillejas. There's also one (M-101) that goes by the airport on its way to Barajas pueblo. You have to get off on the upper ramp at the airport. One may also get it at Metro Canillejas. That may be more convenient. As I recall, you catch either of them on the service road across autopista Barajas from the metro station. There's an elevated crosswalk.
BTW
You may encounter the same thing at San Francisco International airport: We had to assure the SamTrans bus driver that we would keep our luggage on our laps and not take up another seat.

#15939 - 07/18/05 02:28 PM Re: Bus Transportation Madrid to Barajas
epaulino4 Offline

Loc: USA
MadridMan

My take is that since there is no Colon bus, more people are taking regular buses to the airport.

The buses totally empty on a Sunday morning. Both times I was the first one to hop in and just a handful waiting behind me.

I may be wrong, but they were adamant this time.

Eduardo

My roll-away is a business traveler size.

The Tribunal stop electric stairs connecting to Line 10 Nuevos Ministerios are all under repair or reconstruction these days. Be prepared to walk up two or three steep sets of stairs.

I still love Spain and Madrid and it did not rain on my parade.

#15940 - 07/18/05 07:22 PM Re: Bus Transportation Madrid to Barajas
Chele60 Offline

Loc: Yorba Linda, California
So, if I understand you correctly, the bus that used to take people from Barajas into the city (Colon) does not run any more? Is this permanent? Or is it just temporarily out of service? Just a bit unclear about that.

Thanks!

#15941 - 07/18/05 08:47 PM Re: Bus Transportation Madrid to Barajas
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Chele60 wrote:
Quote:
the bus that used to take people from Barajas into the city (Colon) does not run any more? Is this permanent? Or is it just temporarily out of service?
See the " Madrid. Bus Airport-Colon Square will no longer operate eff. Feb 1st, 2005 " thread for more information. So in short, it's closed forever.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#15942 - 07/22/05 02:12 AM Re: Bus Transportation Madrid to Barajas
super lau Offline

I suspect that the bus drivers might have been a bit nervous due to the recent events in London. (The problem did occur 3 days after the attacks, right?) In their minds, a little old lady with a shopping basket (a normal thing in Spanish culture) is quite different than a tourist with a suitecase. I would guess that in other circumstances, you would have no trouble taking a bus.

#15943 - 07/22/05 12:11 PM Re: Bus Transportation Madrid to Barajas
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Here you can find the answer to your question.

From the English version of that page:

Quote:

Can I get on MTC buses with a suitcase?

The passengers regulation regulates the carrying of heavy objects with a double perspective. On the one hand, the passenger's right to carry bulky objects by hand that do not bother or endanger other passengers and on the other hand, as an obligation, not to carry objects different from the previous ones; in other words, bulky hand objects are permitted as long as they do not bother or endanger other passengers in the driver's opinion although the driver may permit their transport in certain circumstances. The definition of what is bulky hand luggage and the definition which is applied for such a purpose in civil aviation could serve as a guideline. Therefore and on the basis of the peculiarities and occupancy of each journey the driver may authorise access to those users who carry their objects as long as they follow the recommendations and indications which are given to them by the bus official.

#15944 - 07/22/05 02:58 PM Re: Bus Transportation Madrid to Barajas
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

At Antonio's link above, here's the answer to the question (in Spanish):

Quote:
¿Puedo subir a los autobuses de la EMT portando una maleta?

El Reglamento de Viajeros regula lo relativo a los bultos dando una doble perspectiva, por un lado como derecho del viajero a llevar objetos o bultos de mano, siempre que no supongan molestias o peligro para otros viajeros, y por otro lado, como obligación, la de no llevar objetos diferentes de los anteriores; es decir los bultos de mano están permitidos siempre que no supongan molestias o peligro para otros viajeros, a juicio del conductor, y todos los demás bultos están a priori prohibidos, aunque el conductor, en determinadas circunstancias, pueda permitir su transporte. La definición de lo que es bulto de mano es la vulgar, y podrá servir de orientación la definición que al efecto se aplica en el sector de la aviación civil. Por ello, y sobre la base de las peculiaridades y ocupación de cada viaje, el conductor podrá autorizar el acceso a aquellos usuarios que porten estos objetos siempre y cuando sigan las recomendaciones e indicaciones que por el mismo, como responsable del autobús, le sean dadas.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2673 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments