Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#15923 - 07/08/05 10:54 AM Public transit and terrorism - will it change how you travel
el tio Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Similar to the bombings in Madrid over a year ago, I'm sure we are all outraged over the targeting of civilians by terrorists - especially their targeting public transportation.

My wife and I will be going to Spain in September/October. While this increases the levels of anxiety (mainly because we have 3 kids at home), we are going forward with our trip as planned.

I'm curious for those travelling to Spain in the near future, will this alter your travel plans - specifically your use of public transit to get around?

#15924 - 07/08/05 01:04 PM Re: Public transit and terrorism - will it change how you travel
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I for one am not at all concerned about using public transportation in Spain during my October visit. I'm more likely to be struck by lightning than to be involved in a terrorist attack.

Keep your eyes open but don't let the fear of the unknown alter your plans. Enjoy Spain as you/we always do!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#15925 - 07/11/05 07:57 AM Re: Public transit and terrorism - will it change how you travel
Jordi Offline

Loc: Berlin
I would only be worried if I travelled to a country actively involved in a war against Muslim countries.

Without taking any sides, if a country is at war, then a country is at war, and that includes the possibility of strikes and civilian casualties. That goes for low intensity conflicts as it goes for open wars, or for a mixed war type as the one we currently observe. A lot of uninvolved civilians are also killed in Iraq.

In other words: Spain has ended is participation in the war against Iraq, and thus the risk should be lesser than in the past.

#15926 - 07/11/05 01:36 PM Re: Public transit and terrorism - will it change how you travel
Chele60 Offline

Loc: Yorba Linda, California
No, I'd not give a thought as to changing my travel plans to Spain for Sept/Oct. Of course, we are mainly doing a 2 week road trip, so public transportation will be used to a minimum in our case. Still, I have no qualms about using the public transportation anywhere in Spain while there.

When I traveled to Israel years back my friends could not understand how I could visit a country where terrorism could take my life. I admit, that trip made me a bit nervous. However, I also learned a valuable lesson there - life goes on, and one cannot live in fear of "what if". Take necessary cautions as needed, certainly. But enjoy life always!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2651 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments