Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#15847 - 08/29/05 08:34 PM Re: Car rental ripoff
el tio Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
I just booked my rental car and remembered this thread. I'm glad I did! I went to Hertz.com, and was quoted 2 different amounts solely based on where I was from when I entered the site. For 10 days, it was about 100 euros different. Otherwise, the website and the information they asked for was exactly the same. They never did ask for anything that would confirm my residence (not sure why this would matter anyway), so hopefully I'll get the rate they quoted me on-line when I arrive.

I'm curious what Janna (the originator of this thread) found out when she went to Spain? Anyone else had experience with this?

--el tio

#15848 - 08/30/05 12:43 AM Re: Car rental ripoff
SalaChic Offline

Loc: Trumansburg, NY
Not sure why American companies charge more. We've been using the new spanish company PepeCar since they opened a few years ago. Never a problem. Yes, we still shop around to compare rates - and we've always found them to be cheaper. Just finished booking with them again for our christmas trip. I see someone here mentioned Carjet. I'm in the US and Carjet quotes in british pounds. I haven't really looked into them (didn't want to throw yet another currency into the mix). But do they have pickup at the airport? Or only downtown?

#15849 - 09/03/05 07:48 PM Re: Car rental ripoff
warnerchilcott Offline

Loc: Montgomery, AL, USA
It seems that when I went to the carjet website and selected Spain, the prices I was given were in Euros not pounds. As far as pick up locations, there are many. The website lists them all. Give carjet a look, they out priced all the car rental companies I looked at.

#15850 - 09/06/05 12:15 PM Re: Car rental ripoff
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
To answer your question, Tio, I was already in Spain when I booked the car, and posted above about our favorable experience with Europcar. In late June we had another good experience with Europcar, picking up at the Barcelona airport and dropping off at the Girona train station.

As an aside on another bizarre car rental experience, we wanted to pick up in Barcelona and drop off in Paris. Hertz wanted to charge 800 EUROS EXTRA as a drop off fee for dropping off in another country. Why am I not surprised.(I guess Hertz doesn't buy into the European Union unified market.) Instead, we dropped off in Girona and took a short train ride across the border to Perpignan where we rented a car to drop off in Paris. For a family of four, we spent about 100 euros in train fare. Peanuts compared to the 800 euro drop off fee.

#15851 - 09/06/05 03:34 PM Re: Car rental ripoff
el tio Offline

Interestingly enough, when I check the rates on-line, Europcar is double the price of Hertz (for a 10 day rental - 250 vs. 533 euros). Maybe it's because I'm picking up and dropping off at 2 different locations in Madrid that Europcar charges such a high rate. Carjet, however, was in-line with Hertz at at about 250 euros, though it had to be picked up and dropped off at the same place.

#15852 - 09/10/05 12:47 PM Re: Car rental ripoff
el tio Offline

When I made the Hertz reservation, I clicked my geographic location as "Spain" - since it was about 100 euros cheaper than if I clicked my location as the U.S.. Now that I read the fine print in my reservation, it states that I must prove my geographic location when I made the reservation as being in Spain or they will charge higher rates or cancel my reservation. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Maybe I will switch to Carjet...

el tio

#15853 - 09/13/05 01:21 PM Re: Car rental ripoff
Jana Offline

When I picked up in Perpignan and dropped off in Paris, we rented with Hertz (yes, despite my misgivings with their practices.) I listed my residence as Spain and was not asked to prove anything. All I needed was my credit card and driver's license. My experience is that rental agents are not interested in this. There is a rate on the paperwork in front of them. They want to get you in the car and move on to the next customer. I think it is only the marketing folks who figure they can get certain people to pay more than others who care about this stuff. That's not to say that someone might not try to stick to the fine print, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

#15854 - 11/10/05 03:22 PM Re: Car rental ripoff
Jana Offline

Here's the flip side of this sad story. The car rental agencies follow the "stick it to the foreigners" philosophy in the States, too. I was researching rental car rates from LAX for some Spanish friends and found that if I identified my country of residence as the US, the rate was $30 per day. For residents of Spain, $50. That's a 66% surcharge for Spaniards!! Avis was the same.

I assume that this is the market at work. The price is what the market will bear. When people go to foreign countries, they often feel more comfortable booking with large companies that they know. They also are ignorant of the going rates in the places they visit. So why not tack on an extra 66% if they can get someone to pay it.

I suspect this is consistent in all countries. I will never book with these large companies without checking out the different rates depending on declared country of residency.

#15855 - 11/14/05 02:34 PM Re: Car rental ripoff
YZYZ Offline

Loc: Madrid
Car rental companies have all sorts of gimmicks to part you with your money. When renting a car in the states while your main car is in the body shop because of an accident, they will charge you a higher rate when they find out the insurance will be paying for it. It's probably best to give as little info as possible.

#15856 - 11/17/05 04:07 PM Re: Car rental ripoff
el tio Offline

to follow-up on my previous post, I booked on the "Spain" website of Hertz, nervous that they would check my country of residence.

However, when I got there, they didn't ask my country of residence. (my spanish is bad, they definitely would have asked had it been important to them). Therefore, as the previous post states, check out your home country page and the country's page you are visiting to sniff out these large price differences.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2341 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments