Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#15837 - 06/07/05 11:51 AM Car rental ripoff
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
I'm probably the only person who hasn't figured this out, but if there is anyone else out there, watch out for American car rental companies. My husband used his Hertz #1 Club number to try to rent a car in Spain and was quoted a rate 3 times as high as the local rate. (That's the thanks Hertz gives its frequent customers.) I used his number on the internet and found the same thing. Then I used the hertz.com website to book a car without his number, but identified myself as living in the U.S. The rate was somewhat less. Later I went to hertz.es and identified myself as living in Spain. For a 2 day rental, the US site quoted me 155 euros, versus 82 euros from the Spanish site. This is crazy!! Be sure to rent directly from Spanish websites or Spanish companies.

#15838 - 06/07/05 12:11 PM Re: Car rental ripoff
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Jana: That's pretty shocking! I assume you haven't yet picked up the car in Spain (where in Spain?). I'd be interesed to know how much you're ACTUALLY charged once you do pick up that car, how many add-on fees they'll charge in in addition to the quoted rate. THAT might be the difference there. Plus, while I don't know, foreigners may have to pay a kind of "foreigner fee". Not really sure. But please do come back to this/your thread and tell us the final numbers on your rental, won't you? Thanks!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#15839 - 06/07/05 01:03 PM Re: Car rental ripoff
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Jana,
I agree w/ MM in that this is a crazy situation - a couple of quick thoughts before yelling "rip-off!" would be were the three quotes in Euros or dollars - i.e. check and make sure the currency was the same for all three ... that might explain at least one of the three differing prices. Other suggestion is to see if all quotes include the same things such as amount of insurance -
Then, do a search and find a couple of recommended competitors!

#15840 - 06/07/05 03:14 PM Re: Car rental ripoff
Jordi Offline

Loc: Berlin
That's pretty normal. Just as with airlines, their fares are marketed in one country like this and in a different country like that, according to the market situation. A flight from New York to Madrid will always be priced differently than a flight from Madrid to New York.

What you can do is shop around: I have residencies in two countries, and I always check the websites of the car rental companies of both countries before making my choice.

Jürgen

#15841 - 06/08/05 06:18 PM Re: Car rental ripoff
warnerchilcott Offline

Loc: Montgomery, AL, USA
While planning our trip to Spain last year, I found the same thing reguarding pricing with American car rental companies. Finally found CarJet, a British company, whose rates, insurance, etc. beat the others hands down. Rented a midsize 4dr sedan, drove from Madrid to Granada, Gibralta, Seville and back to Madrid without any problem except the high cost of gasoline!!!

#15842 - 06/10/05 03:01 PM Re: Car rental ripoff
Jana Offline

We finally went with Europcar, which had a 3-day weekend deal for the price of 2 and got upgraded to a big car. Regarding the 3 Hertz quotes, yes they were all in euros and were all final prices. I can understand why they charge higher prices for Americans if we are willing to pay. But I am really steamed that they soak their frequent customers with the #1 Club Gold ripoff. Bottom line is that the Spanish Hertz is competitive with all of the other agencies. It is just the American Hertz that is way out of whack. I don't know if National and Avis have the same racket or not. I'm not going to bother looking. Just remember, "www.hertz.es". When asked for your country of residence, put Spain.

#15843 - 06/10/05 06:18 PM Re: Car rental ripoff
SFY Offline

Loc: Filadelfia
Last summer I got a really good deal on a week-long rental for a sedan by booking through British Airways Holidays . It's a prepaid rental from Hertz (pick up either at Plaza España or the airport) that gives you a much better price than booking with Hertz directly.

#15844 - 06/10/05 07:58 PM Re: Car rental ripoff
ditravelphoto Offline

Loc: Seattle
I hope you'll give them a piece of your mind and less of your business. It's one thing to squeeze the dollars out of the general public, but to do that to their "best" customers, that takes a lot of corporate balls!

#15845 - 06/11/05 10:27 AM Re: Car rental ripoff
LeenyLouKeitty Offline

Loc: Birmingham,Alabama, USA
I just joined this and so glad I did! What great timing as my family will be leaving on a 3 week trip to Spain in 2 weeks and there has been lots of debate how we should book our car rental. Does one have to supply the Spanish car rental companies with proof of address in Spain? Thanks!!!!

#15846 - 06/14/05 04:04 AM Re: Car rental ripoff
Jana Offline

I doubt it. It's mostly just a vehicle for deciding which prices to quote you. I would just put your US address. If you need a Spanish address, give a hotel.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments