Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#15801 - 05/19/05 07:38 PM Sky-high airfare
Silvita Offline

Loc: Chicago
Has anyone found airfare to Madrid to be cheaper than $1000. Call me crazy, but I cannot remember the last time tickets to Madrid were $1500! Last year I went to Malaga in August and my airline ticket and hotel weren't even than much. What is up?

#15802 - 05/19/05 07:44 PM Re: Sky-high airfare
Escarabjito Offline

Loc: USA
I am having the same problem. I just keep waiting and watching, but it just keeps getting worse. I think the most I have ever paid was $800 in the summer, so this is rediculous! Good luck in your search!

#15803 - 05/21/05 10:14 AM Re: Sky-high airfare
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
US Airways has some excellent promotional fares to Shannon, Dublin & Glasgow AND AerLingus has good ones from Dublin to several destinations in Spain. If you get to Glasgow you can probably take RyanAir or EasyJet (or some other discount air carrier) to Spain.

That way you can have a pint or two of Guinness along the way.

If you're trying to go anytime after la Virgen de Carmen (16 Jul), you can forget about Part II of that proposed itinerary! Everything going to Spain from Ireland and the UK will probably be 'sold out!'

#15804 - 05/21/05 12:14 PM Re: Sky-high airfare
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
You know Eddie, you are really smart! It never ocurred to me to do it that way. that is the reason I planned to travel this winter because with the dollar so deliriously low, the rates are more economical then. We educators don't make enough for the classier Summer rates eek !

I would love to stay in Ireland for a day or two and take in more than a pint! Is RyanAir really that inexpensive?

#15805 - 05/21/05 12:47 PM Re: Sky-high airfare
JoeSambuca Offline

Loc: New York City
Booklady,
Isn't it pathetic! I agree it was always higher this time of year but not this high. It almost takes all the fun out of it. I may have to wait till october to travel.

Hey carabijto.....your last name isn't Caraballo by chance??? If so we may be related??? He! He!

#15806 - 05/21/05 03:00 PM Re: Sky-high airfare
Anonymous
Unregistered

How depressing!I guess it has to do with the very high cost of fuel these days.Out here in California we have been getting hit pretty hard at the pump.Premium unleaded has been at near $3/gallon for a long while.

Hey,did you all hear that US Airways got bought out by America West.Will this affect their route to Spain?In the past US Airways has been just about the most economical carrier.

#15807 - 05/21/05 08:17 PM Re: Sky-high airfare
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Marques,
I just received an e-mail from US-Air and the new bonding will be under the US-Air name. They will honor both frequent flyer miles. So now I can use my US-Air miles to visit California laugh

#15808 - 05/21/05 08:39 PM Re: Sky-high airfare
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sure,we'll love to have you visit us Booklady.But now you have a big decision to make.Do you want to spend your miles to visit Spain or California? rolleyes

#15809 - 05/22/05 08:37 AM Re: Sky-high airfare
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Carmen (aka BookLady) writes:
Quote:
... It never ocurred to me to do it that way. that is the reason I planned to travel this winter because with the dollar so deliriously low, the rates are more economical then. We educators don't make enough for the classier Summer rates!
I can relate to that!
Quote:
I would love to stay in Ireland for a day or two and take in more than a pint! Is RyanAir really that inexpensive?
Yes! Two years ago I had to get from Dublin, IE to London (Luton) to catch an Easyjet flight to Madrid. I booked my RyanAir flight early: One Pound sterling; but with taxes & fees it came out to about $22 USD. The EasyJet flight to Madrid (Barajas) was similarly inexpensive. This year AerLingus is apparently competing 'head to head' (Mano a mano if you prefer) with flights from Dublin at similarly low fares. I think I would go with AerLingus, partly because RyanAir is very restrictive on baggage weight.
BTY
My EU-member Country Passport is Irish Republic (Legacy): I figure if someone of the Jewish faith can get a (Legacy) Israel passport if his mother was Jewish and I can qualify for an Irish Republic (Legacy) passport, why not??

#15810 - 05/22/05 01:36 PM Re: Sky-high airfare
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
GREAT/TERRIBLE NEWS! ¡ME VOY!

Just bought my ticket to Madrid for mid-June and DID pay the Sky-high airfares! ARGH! rolleyes

I checked (Obritz, Expedia) online and found the best deals wouldn't get me into Madrid until the next EVENING and included 2-stops. So instead, I decided to pay MORE, get into Madrid in the morning, AND only have 1-stop (JFK).

I'm flying on Delta and originally considered a somewhat cheaper, 2-stop flight on Air France (I love Air France; great food & bread, free wine, and individual video monitors) but I'd get into Madrid at something like 8pm the next day so no thanks. Also, during the summer months, Air France is NOT a codeshare partner with Delta. mad

In the end I booked through the www.Delta.com website as it was cheaper than on Orbitz plus I get extra airmiles for doing so. Tried to use my airmiles through Delta but nothing was available - big surprise. rolleyes

So that's that. This'll be my first visit to Madrid/Spain during the summer months so let's see how I survive the heat. I'll be there until June 29th - only 11 days.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2706 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments