Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#15712 - 04/27/05 01:13 PM overnight train safety
mystra Offline

Hi,

Has anyone travelled on an overnight train from Paris to Port Bou (Spanish border) before in a Couchette compartment/cabin? How do you discourage thieves from taking your luggage and personal belongings when sleeping on the train? Are there space for luggage in the cabin? Also is it true that the attendant will take your passport, railpass and reservation? When will they give them back to you? Is it easy to find them before reaching your destination?

Thank you.

#15713 - 04/27/05 02:07 PM Re: overnight train safety
ELECTRACITY Offline

Loc: CANADA
Hello Mystra;

I have taken the "Couchette" several times. The most recent was 2 years ago. I travelled from Madrid to Hendaya on the French boarder. I have also taken the couchette from Bayonne (France) to Toulon.

I usually get a private couchette where I am the only one in the compartement. This eliminates the traffic in and out of the cabin, the noise (snoring) etc.
The private couchette allows you to do what you want.
In all cases the door locks and there is a rack to put your luggage on. I keep my valuable papers on me or in the bed with me.

The "ticket master" usually shows you where your compartment is and is in charge of the particular wagon. I Have NEVER had him keep my passport. He was only interested in seeing my ticket (perhaps he keeps a portion of the ticket. He will also knock on the door to let you know that your stop is comming up.
On my last trip, I had as a neighbor a stunningly beautiful lady who also had a single cabin. Her "bon jour" in the morning made my day.

Pack light, have managable bag(s) and be sure to bring food/drink on board with you.

If your compartment has several people, keep your daybag with you in your bunk (along with everything you might need during the trip. Lock the suitcase and put it on the rack.

#15714 - 04/27/05 04:10 PM Re: overnight train safety
mystra Offline

Hi ELECTRACITY:

Thanks for your reply. Let me just get this right. I'll be traveling with 2 other members in my group, so I guess we'll be in a cabin for 4 or 6.

You are saying that the cabins can be locked? Also that there are racks inside the cabins for luggage? You mentioned locking them. How? Using a combination lock or soft bike lock?

Thanks, Mystra

#15715 - 04/28/05 08:19 AM Re: overnight train safety
The_Keeper_at_Home Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hi Mystra.

I haven't actually made this journey, but do have a piece of advice. Do not accept any food or drinks on trains in Europe when offered by a stranger. There have been cases where the food was drugged and the victim was robbed. Two friends of mine were travelling from Italy to Paris and accepted some fruit from a friendly fellow traveller. Woke up in Paris wearing each others clothes.

Everything you KNOW is wrong.

#15716 - 04/28/05 11:59 AM Re: overnight train safety
ELECTRACITY Offline

Loc: CANADA
Mystra;

The DOOR of the cabin can be locked once you are in the Cabin (of course the Ticket master can open it with a key).

There are sturdy racks inside the cabin (NO lockers etc). Lock your suit case and put it on the rack. Your smaller bag (day bag) should be with you, with all that you need for the journey beacause it is very difficult, due to lack of space, to be getting at your suitcase.
If there are 3 of you, then you "could" have the whole cabin to yourselfs. I have shared cabins with 2 - 3 strangers before and always had a good time. Respect the presence of your fellow passenger as they (hopefully) do yours.
Bring a plastic bag for your garbage etc. And as I said before, bring some food/drink. Some food lends itself well to travel, others like a roasted chicken or a thick sandwich with spicy salami do little to "enhance" the ambiance of the cabin.
Bring ear plugs and a small head-lamp too.

#15717 - 04/28/05 12:33 PM Re: overnight train safety
mystra Offline

Muchas gracias to all that have replied.

Mystra

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments