Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#15611 - 03/31/05 04:17 PM Car Too Big??
Chele60 Offline

Loc: Yorba Linda, California
I know this might seem like a really stupid question to a lot of people, but I've never been to Spain (or Europe, for that matter) and I am totally confused as to what size car to rent. Our trip will pretty much be a road trip for a solid 2 weeks, so we need a vehicle that is comfortable to be in. I'm not sure right now what kind/type of luggage we will have, but I suspect two 24" - 26" suitcases and at least one carry on/tote type thing, so we will need some space to put these. We will be driving into such cities such as Sevilla, Granada, Cordova and such and I've heard the streets can be very narrow.

With all this in mind...would a Renault Scenic Wagon be too big? I have nothing to compare it to in the US, so I really don't know how big/little it is. However, it looks like it would be comfortable for hours on the road and certainly have enough space to stow the luggage. I would appreciate any responses or suggestions!

Gracias!

#15612 - 03/31/05 07:33 PM Re: Car Too Big??
SFY Offline

Loc: Filadelfia
The Scenic Wagon doesn't look too big from what I can tell. But I would be inclined not to get a hatchback/wagon if you're going to be driving all over with your luggage. Having your luggage partly visible in the back hatch is just too big a temptation for thieves.

You would be better off getting a comparably sized two-door - you should have no trouble getting two suitcases in the trunk and all but the smallest European cars should be quite comfortable to drive in. A Renault Megane Classic or something comparable should fit the bill.

#15613 - 03/31/05 09:21 PM Re: Car Too Big??
AgenteMunicipal Offline

Loc: Canada
For a true "España" experience...may I suggest renting a Seat Cordoba..here is a picture of one...

http://motor.terra.es/addon/img/motor/17dce34cordobap.jpg

#15614 - 04/04/05 02:46 PM Re: Car Too Big??
Chele60 Offline

Loc: Yorba Linda, California
Thanks to both of your for your responses! I've been busy all weekend and haven't had a chance to respond.

I have looked at the Renault Megane Classic, and it does appear to suit our needs - comfortable, enough room, and that all important trunk to "hide" any luggage!

I'd not heard of a Seat Cordoba, but I presume it is made in Spain? It looks very nice, but so far none of the car rental agencies I've looked at display this car as one they rent. I suppose I could request one and see if it is available?

Again, thanks!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2722 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments