Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#15120 - 11/19/04 11:37 AM London (Stanstead) to Granada
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
Ryanair have anounced direct flights from London to Granada, from next February. As far as I know these are the first and only direct international flights to Granada.

I once wrote to EasyJet explaining to them in great detail why they should start flying to Granada, but they ignored me :p . Obviously RyanAir have more sense! laugh

#15121 - 11/19/04 01:23 PM Re: London (Stanstead) to Granada
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
Very good news. I often take advantage of Ryanair's very cheap flights to Valladolid - it's very easy to travel onto other castilian cities from there. Easyjet tend to be quite a bit more expensive than Ryanair now, so perhaps it has worked out for the best!

#15122 - 11/22/04 11:41 AM Re: London (Stanstead) to Granada
El Boqueron Offline

Even more good news, they've just added Liverpool-Granada (and Liverpool-Murcia) from next April laugh My wife an I are trying to arrange an extended stay in Granada from around May next year, so this news couldn't have come at a better time! Cheers, Ryanair!

#15123 - 11/22/04 12:12 PM Re: London (Stanstead) to Granada
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
That's fantastic! How excited am I? cool laugh cool

How did you find out? I am signed up for news from Ryanair but didn't get this info.

Jo

#15124 - 11/23/04 10:31 AM Re: London (Stanstead) to Granada
El Boqueron Offline

Jo - I just looked at their website, it's at the top of the front page in big letters! wink

And yes, how exciting is that!? Granada - just over 2 hours from Liverpool! I can't quite come to grips with it laugh laugh

#15125 - 11/23/04 10:45 AM Re: London (Stanstead) to Granada
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
El Boquerone - thanks for that rolleyes I felt stupid as soon as I posted when I went and looked at the website :o I rarely look at their website because their routes weren't of great interest to me.

I'm still surprised I didn't get an e-mail from them though, so thanks for letting me know.

Imagine arriving at Granada from the sky - I can't wait cool Not sure when it is that I think I might be able to go .. but the possibility's there anyway wink

That's an hour from Holmfirth to Liverpool and another couple of hours on the plane .. and that's it - *there* - *da-daaa* - brilliant.

Jo

#15126 - 11/24/04 10:37 AM Re: London (Stanstead) to Granada
El Boqueron Offline

I just thought I'd add, given that it's Ryanair we're talking about, that "Granada" airport is actually located ... just outside Granada! Remarkable.

There was an interesting article in the local Granada newspaper yesterday, where it states that over the next 3 years Ryanair plans to add flights to Granada from Glasgow, Frankfurt, Milán, Rome, Hamburg and London Luton. In an insight into how Ryanair does business, it also relates that the company has come to an agreement with local authorities and business organisations whereby they (ie the latter) will spend about 3 million euros "on publicity". In return Ryanair promises to deliver 700,000 tourists. This could have quite an impact on Granada and its environs (second homes, anyone?). As I mentioned earlier, at present it has no international flights at all.

Some reasons to go to Granada:

1. Granada itself
2. Sierra Nevada/Alpujarras (inc. relatively cheap skiing in winter, 30 mins. from city centre by bus)
3. Easy and cheap access to Andalucia generally.
4. Ditto the costas of Granada, Malaga and Almeria.

#15127 - 02/24/05 09:08 AM Re: London (Stanstead) to Granada
El Boqueron Offline

I just booked 3 seats Liverpool-Granada with RyanAir for 30th April, 4 days after these direct flights start. Worked out at about £22 each, one way, once all RyanAir's infamous "taxes and charges" are included. It'll be quite someting, landing in Granada directly, around the 10th (!) anniversary of my first visit. laugh laugh I'll report back on the flight experience.

I should just add that the price (£22 each) is about £50 each cheaper than flying Liverpool-Malaga with EasyJet on the same day! I'd be tempted by that even if Malaga were my destination, as it's only about 1 1/2 hours away. With the difference in price (on 3 tickets)you could hire a car for a week or so.

#15128 - 03/08/05 07:02 AM Re: London (Stanstead) to Granada
El Boqueron Offline

Looks like Ryanair have started something. Monarch Scheduled are starting flights between Gatwick (london) and Granada from May 19th, and it looks like there are more to come (possibly involving EasyJet). I wonder how Granada's small terminal building will cope with this sudden transformation from sleepy regional airport into an international hub!

#15129 - 05/11/05 04:04 PM Re: London (Stanstead) to Granada
Merry Mac Offline

Loc: Liverpool, England
I'm off to Granada from Liverpool next Wednesday (£20 return). Looking forward feedback from other L'pool - Granada traveller. Mainly want to know if there is a bus to Granada centre from airport. At present bus stops running prior to the Liverpool flight arrival. Also, is there one returning to coincide with flight?

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments